MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many threads about ticking/ tapping noises coming from the 1zz motor. And alot of really good info on the potential causes has been posted! But the noise I've been hearing didn't seem to match the descriptions I've read on here.
Today I took my Spyder to a shop that specializes on high end European cars. The mechanic listened to my engine, unscrewed the oil cap on the valve cover, listened some more, and told me that the tapping/ticking sound might be coming from a bent baffle in the valve cover that is supposed to stop oil from splashing on the oil fill cap. But it was clear that with the motor running, when the cap was removed that oil was "splashing" out of the opening. He told me that sometimes when getting an oil change at cheap places like Jiffy Lube,etc., they sometimes jamb the oil funnel/gun too far into the fill hole and bend this baffle. And if it breaks off it will kill the engine. I am not the original owner of my Spyder, but I do know that the "cheap" lube places can damage your Spyders body with the lift they use. Anyone else hear of this problem with the oil splash baffle being damaged during an oil change? And can it be bent to the point that it is hitting the lifters or some other moving part in the valve train?

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is normal for some oil to "splash" out if you run the engine with the oil cap off. I seriously doubt that the noise you are hearing has anything to do with bent baffles in the valve cover. If you have a way of posting a video or audio clip of the sound that the engine is making that would help.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video or audio of "sound"

I'll see if my camera will pick up the ticking noise well enough to be helpful. I've been told every thing from "nothing to worry about" to "might be an exhaust valve sticking" to "lifter needs adjusting", to....
Well, you get my drift. I wish I knew a good, reliable mechanic in Austin that KNOWS these motors and could give me good advice.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Unfortunately it seams that 8 out of 10 times I hear a Spyder owner mention a ticking noise from their 1ZZ, it's usually a spun rod bearing. Brace yourself for what could potentially be bad news. Good luck; hope it's something as simple as a loose heat shield.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Unfortunately it seams that 8 out of 10 times I hear a Spyder owner mention a ticking noise from their 1ZZ, it's usually a spun rod bearing. Brace yourself for what could potentially be bad news. Good luck; hope it's something as simple as a loose heat shield.
+1 I bet on spun rod bearing. My 00 spyder currently makes this noise as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
+1 I bet on spun rod bearing. My 00 spyder currently makes this noise as well.
Have you verified that the noise your spyder is making is a spun rod bearing, or are you just assuming based on other posts? If you have somehow verified that this is the problem, are you going to continue driving the car until a rod slings through the block or are you going to go ahead and replace the bearings (easy job)?

I don't see how people are confusing top-end ticks (valvetrain type noise) with low-end thunks (spun rod bearing)...

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
You guys are so off the mark and the mechanic who does not understand our engines is over thinking to the point where I doubt his expertise on anything mechanical.

There are many things that can cause ticking.
1. Bucket out of specification.
2. OCV fliter cloged.
3. Bad belt tensioner
4. Rod bearings
5. Transmission bearings
6. Water pump, alternator and pulley bearings.

The list goes on and they all sound very similar. The worst part of it is that the sounds gets radiated which makes isolating the sound extremely difficult. To isolate the sounds you need a mechanics stethoscope and a lot of patience or a competent experienced mechanic.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ticking sound

Well, I think it might be a lifter bucket that is causing it. When I listen with my stethoscope it sounds like its coming from the # 4 cylinder area. But it's hard to tell for sure. I'm going to replace the valve/cam cover gasket this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to determine what's causing it. It may just be a "normal" sound. I'm also going to check the baffle to see if it's bent. BTW, where can I find info on the torque settings for the valve cover and also the sequence of tightening?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If you have the Cover Off.. Run the Valves with a Feeler Gauge Set.. and Record the Clearance..

That will tell you for sure if it's a lifter..

Cap

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
If you have the Cover Off.. Run the Valves with a Feeler Gauge Set.. and Record the Clearance..

That will tell you for sure if it's a lifter..

Cap
Yes do this. check to see if they are all in specification.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
There actually is a small metal piece that can get bent as the mechanic described, I've seen it a few times when I worked at the Mr. T dealership. It's caused by what he said. Take off your oil cap and look down, you should see the metal 'shield'. All but one time I managed to use a small curved pic to bend it back up into place. The other time I had to take a valve cover off to get to it.

I'm not saying the mechanic is right, but it's not a left field guess. Inspect it yourself and see. Might be the small shield, might be more.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've downloaded the PDF on checking the valve clearance and I plan on doing that when the cover is off. Still looking for a link to info regarding the torque and sequence for tightening the valve cover bolts. I've tried the search but it sends you to every thread with any of the search terms in it. A lot to wade through.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Noise starts at 2700 rpms on acceleration

Andres
I believe you should hear it all the time. I would remove the Valve cover and check the clearances if you suspect a bad bucket.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts