MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't been on the forum in along time because school, work, and greek life have pretty much taken all my spare time away from me. I wish I had made the trip out to the Dragon with Spring but wasnt able to make that. Will probably try and make it out there before school starts back up and the car gets fixed.

So here's the bad news of mny MR-S. On May 3rd I took the spyder and my girlfriend down to Lynchburg, TN to take the Jack Daniels tour. Girlfriend had never been, this is my 3rd time. The trip back was smooth but long and I had to get to work. Went back to my house an d got readfy for work and was going to drop my girlfriend off at my parents house on the way to work. Was driving through a intersection when it happened.

Old woman about in her 70's driving a black late 80's 240SX Nissan, failed to yield and ran head long into the spyder. She was turning left and I was goping through the light. Been waiting for the insurance company to get back to me about the accident claim. She was unisured so I'm hoping they cover it under unisured because I dont have collision. Never needed it before.

Guess I learned that I need to invest into collision insurance just in case.

Headlights and fogs still work even with the DDM HIDs intact but the tabs holding the headlights in are broken. I drove it home the night of the accident. Radiator was punctured just moved back. Also, allignment is off so I'm pretty sure it messed with the passenger side suspension. Passenger core support is bent. Also the passenger side door only opens about 3 to 4 inches now. Air bags did not deploy. Hood is crumpled and bumper is smashed in.

Pictures Below:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Extremely sorry about your misfortune. That is a rare color too. I hope it is repairable. I am always on the lookout for elderly drivers as my father is one and I know that they are not the most alert drivers on the road. He has swiped two cars, a fence and a lightpost in the last couple of months.

More disturbing is the fact that the airbags did not deploy. What the hell good are they if they don't deploy in a front end collision??
If you find out why they did not work I would appreciate a posting so that I have more confidence in mine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sorry for your loss, that is truely one of the nicest color combos. I've seen worse damage though, it should buff right out. ^_^ On a serious note it most likely will be repairable, at what cost, I'm not so sure. Hopefully insurance will kick in.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good to see your okay and hope to see the spyder back soon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Extremely sorry about your misfortune. That is a rare color too. I hope it is repairable. I am always on the lookout for elderly drivers as my father is one and I know that they are not the most alert drivers on the road. He has swiped two cars, a fence and a lightpost in the last couple of months.

More disturbing is the fact that the airbags did not deploy. What the hell good are they if they don't deploy in a front end collision??
If you find out why they did not work I would appreciate a posting so that I have more confidence in mine.

Good luck.
I think the sensors for the air bag or lower then where the car was hit. More then likely missing them with the top hit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ouch that hurts just to look at.I live in Fl and I keep an out for Crown Vic's not Nissan's.:eek:
I guess you just got to watch everybody ,everywhere all the time.Glad you're unhurt.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Sorry about the collision. You are correct in that the un/underinsured coverage should kick in on this one, and either you have to have the insurance company go after the other driver for the deductible or pay it yourself, and have the insurance company subrogate for the deductible later. Either way, it looks fixable, and not totaled. The collision would be useful if you wrecked your own car as either a single vehicle collision (like running it off the road or hitting a solid object) or if you were at fault for a collision with another car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good News

My insurance company called me about an hour after I put up this post. They are covering me under the unisured motorist coverage since they determined the accident was the other driver's fault since the cop that wrote the report said he was not allowed to determine fault. The insurance company sent an independent appraiser yesterday to estimate damage cost. He estimated repairs would cost $4936. Also, they are giving me a enterprise rental car when I take the car into the shop for repairs. Now I just have to find a good repair shop.

Also, did some reading in the handy dandy BGB, if the impact has a lower shock than a predetermined level of shock the SRS airbag sensor will not tell the air bags to deploy.

Also, I forgot to mention that this accident happened at very low speed. I was braking and almost at a complete stop when I got hit. The other driver did not even try to avoid the collision and ran into my car and kept driving. She drove about 200 feet from the point of impact before she came to a stop.

Safe to say it was probably better that the air bags didnt deploy. The seat belt tensioners did their job quite well.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how is she able to drive around uninsured? can't u sue her direct?
Sadly enough this seems to be very common in my area. And I wouldnt waste my time suing her. She's on goverment welfare. Some people that go to my parent's church said they know the lady that hit me and she lives in an apartment that is paid for by the goverment. The car wasn't even her's supposedly.

But supposedly my insurance company is subrogating her for the accident.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
For purposes of this particular collision, it's likely a good thing that the airbags didn't open as it would add cost to the repair and depending on age and mileage of your Spyder, could have made it a total (airbags aren't cheap).

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am always on the lookout for elderly drivers as my father is one and I know that they are not the most alert drivers on the road. He has swiped two cars, a fence and a lightpost in the last couple of months.
In the last couple of months?? Wow, you'd think his insurance rate would have gotten really high making it hard for him to get back on the road.

The other driver did not even try to avoid the collision and ran into my car and kept driving. She drove about 200 feet from the point of impact before she came to a stop.
Sorry for your accident, hope you get it back on the road. Police should have charged her with hit and run and I'm guessing she got charged for driving without insurance. People like this jack up insurance rates for everyone!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
First let me start with why is a 70 year old woman driving a 240sx??!?

Ok, now that I've got that out of my system, I'm glad you're ok. ^_^ Btw the insurance estimate doesn't mean much. My car got hit a hell of a lot lighter than yours with minimal damage to the front and rear drivers side quarter panels with scratches on the door and both bumpers as well. Initial insurance estimate: $2100 - Final cost: $4000. I don't mean to jinx it but if the estimate increases once a body shop gets a hold of the car they may decide to deem it totaled.

Hopefully this doesn't end up being the case, at least it's a 2004 so that increases the value of the car compared to my 2000 (a little more cushion before they can declare it totaled). At least the other driver was found to be at fault, it makes the whole headache a little more bearable. Best of luck getting it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes do you homework when choosing a repair shop. Be ready to micromanage them if you want the best outcome! If you are interested in choosing a new bumper now's your chance.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Probably because when she bought it new she was only 45 and it was a cool little car...
Very true but the last thing old lady's need is to be camouflaged as a competent driver. At least an old Buick screams "watch out!!" to other drivers on the road ;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
That'll buff right out!

Uninsured drivers suKk the big one. I have no tolerance for that decision.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Very true but the last thing old lady's need is to be camouflaged as a competent driver.
240sx??!? COMPETENT driver??!!!?! Bwaaaahhhahahahahahaha
What color is the sky on THAT planet?

OP, glad you're OK, glad the insurance company is taking care of it. Hope you're back on the road soon.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm sad to see your car in this condition. It is such beautiful color and I have always liked it. The most important part is that you are o.k. and that no one was seriously injured. That means a lot. I paid cash for my Spyder but still pay for full coverage. I have a higher deductible on the Spyder because if something happens and it's my fault, I can let her sit until I can come up with the money to get it fixed. On the otherhand, if it is someone else's fault, I am taking them straight to Judge Judy. :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts