MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to upgrade my '00 headlight bulbs for better visibility at night. I'm not looking to have blinding headlights, just a brighter white (would prefer white over blue) headlight. I've been searching but I don't totally understand exactly which bulbs (such as HID's) require modding/retrofitting and which bulbs can be used to simply replace the stock bulbs in the '00 lamp. :confused:

I just wet sanded my headlight housings so this is next on my checklist. Maybe somewhere in the future I'll upgrade to '03 lights, but for now I don't have the roughly $400 to do that so for now I'm simply looking for brighter bulbs.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can't go wrong with PIAS I love mine
Even PIAAs come in LED, HID, etc. I swear it feels like I've been treading water trying to look into headlights. Which ones are you running and did you need just a harness or further modification? sorry but I'm a total headlight noob

Edit: After further research, did you go with the Halogen bulbs? From what I understand about 4300k would give a bright white color and H4 bulbs are compatible with '00 headlights (would appreciate if someone could verify the part about H4 bulbs)

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Sylvania offers a range of Silverstar bulbs that are a direct replacement for the OEM bulbs. As the bulb gets brighter/whiter/bluer, the expected lifetime decreases. The bulbs are available at most autoparts stores, such as AutoZone.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I've been using PIAA Super Plasma GT-X bulbs. Very pricey compared to regular or Sylvannia SilverStars, but you can tell the difference in color and it looks nice unlike Super/HyperWhite bulbs that are blue and hard to see at night. The PIAA XtremeWhites are ok - I use those in my Lancer. Not as white as I'd like, but you can sorta see the difference between those and regular bulbs.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
243 Posts
Even PIAAs come in LED, HID, etc. I swear it feels like I've been treading water trying to look into headlights. Which ones are you running and did you need just a harness or further modification? sorry but I'm a total headlight noob

Edit: After further research, did you go with the Halogen bulbs? From what I understand about 4300k would give a bright white color and H4 bulbs are compatible with '00 headlights (would appreciate if someone could verify the part about H4 bulbs)
PIAA 10904 H4 Intense White - H4 60/55W=135/125W Xtra Intense White Bulb

Plug and play buddy!=)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I appreciate the feedback and the links. Btw I found the H4 Night Breaker bulbs on Amazon for $34 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-Night-B...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337287019&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Just watched a video on Youtube, they seem to give much better light than the stock bulbs I'm running now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GznJ3MOxvKY

Right now the Osram Night breakers look like a good choice to me, just curious if anyone running the phillips x-treme headlights?
I may need to get these. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts