MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than appearance, are there any benefits to be gained by upsizing tires &/or wheels? Other than the obvious drawback of altering the speedometer accuracy, what other potential problems should I be aware of besides clearances? I'm not looking for a "DUB" look, just something a little closer to the Boxster look. (My car is a 2001, with a few modest performance upgrades & JDM badging. It still draws attention, after all these years. :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
IMO the stock wheels are plenty, bigger/heavier ones just increase rolling resistance and unsprung weight. Unless you go with big power (225-250 whp plus) you can get along O.K.

Get a set of re11s and just enjoy driving it.

If you want a Porsche lookalike car to impress people with, get a Cayman or a Boxster. No offense, they're great cars, but not in the same league.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Here is a shot with 205-60*15's on the rear, and 205-50*15's on the Front..

I have now Upped the Rears to 205-65*15's..
The Spedo is Now off by 10% Slow.. not a big deal.. I have the Corolla 5th gear Swap, and 72 MPH ( Actual ) is about 3K RPM.

I got a chance to drive Uncle Mush's ( Showroom ) Stock 03 Spyder.. and it feels Quicker then Mine.. But you run out of gear Sooner.. so it's a perception thing.

I do still take Fun Runs down Metz Road at work.. The car no longer feels like it's on Rails.. and I have to 'Set' the Car for the Corners.. Still Fun.. a little Tail Happy.. have to be on your toes.. I have not dropped it back to Stock Ride Height from putting on the Oversized Tires... Someday..
Mine is set up for DD Long Distance .. 175 Miles per day.. and 36 MPG..

Cap

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cap: I know this is an older thread but would like your opinion on the size of tires that I am considering for my 2003 Spyder with stock wheels and stock height on my Spyder. Do you think 185/65-15 on the front and 215/65-15 on the rear would work without rubbing/clearance issues? If I don't get those then I will probably buy 185/65-15 front and 205/65-15 rear tires! I now have 185/60-15 front and 215/60-15 rear tires.

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Other than appearance? :lol:

Probably performance.
Yes, the performance as in handling will go down the drain.

Just get the best stock size rubber for your use.

As to 65 section, same thing. Apart from being non equivalent larger circumferance, the extra sidewall will have extra flex thus less precise handling.

The obvious question is WHY??? The only up side is extra ground clearance for unmetalled tracks.
185/55 and 205/50 is a véry well sorted set up for the car.
If you can´t get the fronts then go 195/50.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts