MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
If it hasn't been said before, crushed or bent rocker panel.

Get down and look at the lift points and make sure you don't see a white color near the lift points, (unless your car is white ) Another way to tell is if your gas cap door doesn't close flush and smooth with he fender.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am shopping for an MR2 Spyder out of state, is this something simple for the mechanic at a dealership to check and ask them to send me a picture of it? Or do they have to disassemble something to see it? (to check for pre-cats failure)

remove the O2 sensors and look inside.
Also, if they do look damaged, does that mean the engine is already damaged or that it's still safe to buy it and remove them right away?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Spyder has 32k miles, and this article has given me a lot of assurance in my car, as well as things to look out for in the years to come.

·
Registered
17 Posts
very helpful

new owner here-03 MR2 and although it has low mileage, just reading some of the other posts made me think I made a mistake but this guide helps a lot.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
new owner here-03 MR2 and although it has low mileage, just reading some of the other posts made me think I made a mistake but this guide helps a lot.
If you want a good reliable sportscar, and don't intend to haul most of your worldly posessions around with you, you have made a good choice.

Once the Spyder's shortcomings/problems/faults have been corrected, it is a remarkably good car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MR2/S Buyer's Guide Response

Wish I had joined and found this post b/4 I purchased my 2001 M/T.

I have SO many of these issues described, but was new the the W30 platform.

Purchased in Jan-2017 in Northern Michigan during a snow storm.....grrr.

All checked out, looked under car and NO rust (only 59K on clock).

Purchased and picked up 6 weeks later via trailer. Got to Ohio, pulled off trailer and within 10 miles the check engine lamp illuminated....grr.

Studied more on-line, pulled O2 sensors from pre-cats and found one gutted and one with 'partial material' still inside case.

No rear hatch/engine cover release (broken cable) when purchased, but did not care (easy fix)

Front "frunk" also failed.

Good news: Have 2zz that I have been working on for 2 years to install.

It will be YUMMMY!

Mr. P

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Old guy ( I'm right behind You ( in age ) I belong to a classic Oldsmobile forum. But just bought a 2000 Spyder.
Was hoping for someone had some knowledge on these symptoms... The seller said it was low mileage Jdm motor. The idle is very high at 1400 rpm. and is irregular dipping down to 800. I throwing lots of fuel ( white smoke? ) out the exhaust.I took out the air filter box, removed the Mass air flow sensor ( was very dirty on one side ) with a cue tip and rubbing alcohol. New air filter. Rpm was lower at first. Then went back up to 1400. Throttle body clean? If so what is the proper method seeing that it is hard to get to.........much obliged

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
41 Participants
Mudeye
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing