MR2 SpyderChat banner

101 - 120 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
new wheels look nice, get some screamin eagle centercaps made!

I applaud you for hanging out with vw's. VW's were my first love :)
Same, had a MKIV GTI with an APR 93 tune on it before the spyder, too many electrical issues for me though. I think for my next car i'll be looking at a MKV Passat wagon on airbags, just something super practical to counter the MR2.

I'm in the process of trying to find center caps that continue the mesh pattern but it's hard to find em for an affordable (relative to what i'm willing to pay for used center caps from a 1980s wheel) and when I do find some they either say BMW or VW on em and I don't want Dragonfly having an identity crisis.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
NICE VAG, that is eye-catching to say the least!

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
So after the Fidanza 2.1 clutch went out and took the flywheel with it, I decided to go with something a bit stronger. After listening to TJ and searching some more I decided against putting the 5spd back in which was my original plan.

Pics :)

MWR Chromoly Steel flywheel.

ACT 6-puck sprung clutch

ACT Xtreme pressure plate.

Looking forward to getting the car back either late today or tomorrow, hopefully the weather will clear up this weekend so I can go break it in since I don't want to do that in the rain or freezing weather.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I felt like being stereotypical, lol.

Then made up for it by going to texastimetrials and getting a good co-driver (his best time was 4-seconds faster than mine). His car was getting painted (a very fast, well-prepped CRX), so he brought some used Kumho Ecsta XS's on RPF1s and we put them on my car. We put 67 miles on my car at the actual event, works out to roughly 30 laps each. I had a lot of fun and learned just how awesome a set of tires can be first hand, I always knew they made a difference but didn't expect the feel to be so dramatically changed.

These were 205/50/15 all around, and felt amazing, though he suggested I still buy a staggered setup if I put more negative camber up front. With the way they were on the car he spun once out of 30 laps over a section where there is a surface change and some gravel, I never spun but I got very close with some drift style action for almost an entire turn but the car held the slide and was a blast to drive, that lap wasn't fast but it was fun since the tires were pretty much shot by the end of it and the brakes were so faded you were forced to carry the speed resulting in a slide.

I'll try to post action pictures once the guy who was taking them uploads them, but for now here are some pictures with the rpf1s getting mounted. My purchase list after this race includes wheels and tires, brake pads, che's adjustable control arms, and a wing. I also need to buy a new case for the go-pro wide so I can get video's next time.

Here's a video of the course from a different day when it was wet out in my buddies GTI.

·
Registered
758 Posts
that texas time trial stuff looks fun, i've got to get up there sometime

yeah, tires make a huge difference in racing, arguably the most important part

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Apex, you should come out and run with me, it's a lot of fun and $45 for your first event ($40 for each event after). The link is in my sig.

In case anyone was wondering, the decals on the door are for Takuban Motorsports, AWDTuning.com (focus is mainly on Subaru's but Kieth has tuned everything from Honda's to Skylines), and Pro Tuning Performance (PTP, An awesome race shop in Fort Worth who does a lot of the work I can't do or don't have time to do).

Also, I'll be getting a new exhaust made using two Vibrant Resonators, pictured here and getting an Oil temp and pressure gauge put in as well, all this work will be done at PTP and i'll post pics of the finished product and installation.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
Yep, it's Icons, good eye serina. :)
I wanted to post the picture my friend took so it got a good first impression, i've been too lazy to buy batteries for my point and shoot and camera phone doesn't do it justice.

I'm stickerbombing the decklid for laughs, eventualy it'll become a wall piece and replaced by a clean cf one. I won't post pictures of that till it's closer to completion though.

Some fun stuff.

for laughs. It's all about having fun with the car, It's going under some major redesign/modifications this year, bringing a bit more of my personal style into it, getting closer to my vision of how I want it to look while prepping it more for time trials (hence the wing).

Coming soon, the exhaust will finally be fabbed this week or next, my oil pressure and temp gauge will be put in, i'll probably be pulling the sub out, or atleast temprarily. Fix my evap related CEL code. Installing che's lower control and track arms. Getting custom fabbed stands for the wing to mount it higher, allow for more adjustability as well as fixing it directly to the chasis rather than to the decklid.

More long run (as in the next 5-6 months) new wheels and tires, very low offset much wider and possibly larger, fender flares, and brake pads, as well as replacing the custom fabbed seat mount with a Sparco seat base and sliders.

and a hint about where the exhaust is going...

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
The wing does look a little low.
I think it's about 10-12 inches from the deckid to the underside, it puts it dead center in my rearview mirror, between that and the roll bar I have a sort of cross hair section with very large sights looking back. I'm looking to set it even with the height of the roll bar. Should get more downforce there as well as eliminating the rear view obstruction.

no comment on the "hmmm smiley" lol, it's saying "I see what you did there..."

crummy photo but it shows the height better.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I have a funny feeling you and I are doing the same exhaust project without knowing each other was doing it.
lol, funny how that works out.

My plan may be slightly different though, i'm going to have the PPE high-flow cat come off the header at a more upwards angle (if you think about the ground as the plane it'll be about 45 degrees up from that, that will then enter the first resonator (R1) through another bend (R1 will run parallel with the ground across where the current muffler is, then i'm going to use a small bend (not sure what angle) and have the second resonator come out the rear bumper on the passenger side where i've created the gap by lowering the crash bar. no tip or pipes will be after the exit of the second resonator.

I'm still not sure if i'll be coating the exhaust in a hightemp black paint or just leaving it all as is, that'll depend on how I think it looks when it's completed.

Also, to make it look more finished, i know i'll be painting the crash bar and the section underneath it black. Mesh may or may not be put in to cover the opening but I kind of like it the way it is now.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Sounds wicked and as it turns out my hunch was wrong. We are at a similar goal but doing it slightly different.
can't wait to see how you route yours.
My original plan was to use a 90 degree bend into the second resonator and then use a 45 to exit out on the driver side, but I didn't want to risk melting the wiring to the license plate light.

101 - 120 of 241 Posts