MR2 SpyderChat banner
121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
The left side and rear trans mounts fit great . The front needs a couple places ground to get it to set flat plus it needed to go lower about an 1/8" lower for the holes to line up .

The top two holes on the trans need a little grinding ... they hit the bottom of the head and create a little gap .

One of the holes on the rav4 bracket lines up but needs about a 1/2"spacer behind it . That hole will give me a good place to work from .

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm not surprised the 2GR engine block needed a bit of grinding but it sounds like there may be an alignment problem with the bracket itself? If so can you get me the VIN from your transmission tag? maybe there's a year break i need a bit of extra work to support.

as for that rav4 bracket, if one of the bolt holes lines up like that and there's extra space needed then the whole thing is pretty easy to make work. 13mm is more than enough for secure threads to hold onto so you can get both bolt patterns in there.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I'm not surprised the 2GR engine block needed a bit of grinding but it sounds like there may be an alignment problem with the bracket itself? If so can you get me the VIN from your transmission tag? maybe there's a year break i need a bit of extra work to support.

as for that rav4 bracket, if one of the bolt holes lines up like that and there's extra space needed then the whole thing is pretty easy to make work. 13mm is more than enough for secure threads to hold onto so you can get both bolt patterns in there.
After I ground the 2 spots the bracket aligned just fine . If you didn't want to grind the block the mount would need about an 1/8 off the bottom ... but the holes are spaced correct. I don't think there's an issue.

Yeah I think the bracket should be easy but take a little time . I did have to cut the bottom hole off the bracket to get it to clear on the right side .

·
Registered
900 Posts
gotcha, that makes sense. to make the front mount clear that engine it would have to be made like the rear mount where there's an overlap to get a step in height because you can't put a bend that close to mounting holes otherwise they get warped by the bending process. not that big of a deal if this becomes a thing but grinding the block a bit is also pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Some pretty exciting stuff .. for me anyway !! I got the 2gr mounted up today pretty happy the way it fits . The crossmember won't need to be cut out or moved forward . There for the stock gas tank can remain in the stock location . The fire wall will need to be removed above the crossmember and redesigned and yes with removable panels to service engine . On this swap I'm still moving the gas tank up front ... future one's probably not .That will save a mass amount of time .

top view .... yes the front head and alternator protrude into the cabin

side view of the front mount and crossmember

left side from the rear ... I will probably weld in a dimple just for a little more clearance but it's probably necessary

driverside view from the front

top view of the rear crossmember clearance

right side / strut tower probably will clearance the strut tower

lots of room up top ... could probably raise the engine an inch but wont

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Future swaps?

Are you going to open a swap shop? ?
How many 2GR Spyders do you see in your future?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Looks great in there. Honestly about what i expected except for the top clearance to the bar. i expected the oil filler cap to interfere as well as the VVT-I solenoid.

for the right side mount the mount you have the torque arm mount right there. the rav4 actually hangs from it's right side mount so it is designed for loading in that direction. I strongly suggest you update to that part before you make a mount.

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
Would it fit by hammering in the firewall or does it stick into the firewall too much?

Is there room for the headers?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Would it fit by hammering in the firewall or does it stick into the firewall too much?

Is there room for the headers?
It would take an awful big hammer . It sticks in a lot .... I'll get some better pictures , my camera ran out of juice.

Even if you could hammer it you'd still want access panels for servicing stuff .

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Looks great in there. Honestly about what i expected except for the top clearance to the bar. i expected the oil filler cap to interfere as well as the VVT-I solenoid.

for the right side mount the mount you have the torque arm mount right there. the rav4 actually hangs from it's right side mount so it is designed for loading in that direction. I strongly suggest you update to that part before you make a mount.
With it sitting lower you can still get to the oil fill cap . Yes I was surprised at all the room up top .

I'll take a look at the rav4 mount . You wouldn't have any pics handy would you ? I didn't look too close at it but I take it the torque arm mount unbolts .

·
Registered
900 Posts
yeah, that torque arm mount just bolts right on, the mount i make for the MKII removes that part.

I have an evora mount at home i should be able to take a picture of. i'm 99% sure it's a rav4 mount but i'll be able to confirm then. I'm away from home at the moment.

the difference is the torque mount has all the bolts in line with the torque motion but the rav4 motor mount has the bolts in a triangular pattern to avoid loading the bolts in a bending direction. the position of the plate is either very similar or exactly the same.

as for making clearance for the motor in this position using a hammer, you would need some seriously heavy hits to clearance it that much. using my 2AR mounts to place the 2GR in this chassis will require some firewall cutting for sure.

pictures are looking great, can't wait to see more progress.

·
Registered
900 Posts
That's the part that bolts onto the part i'm talking about. I haven't been able to find pictures online of what i'm talking about so i'll have to take one when i get back to post it. the part number in question is 12315-31110 but the internet does not return any good pictures via that part number either.

As you can see in that picture you linked the bolts on that mount are not in line giving it a much more stable base to support the weight of the engine.

121 - 140 of 165 Posts