MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a noob here on SpyderChat I was searching through the threads looking for the possible cause of my vibration at speeds above 80 that increased straight through 100. This was a "whole car" vibration rather than a front wheel issue...the kind you feel mostly in the seat. What I learned on my search is that the best balance is a "road force balance" so that's where I started.

About a month ago I bought new Hankook 205-50 R15 rears... right after I learned that my sweet 2001 MR2 that I had just bought came with 4 new tires :thumbsup:... all the same size :(. Apparently they did a sloopy balance job. I just had a road force balance done on on the rear wheels about 2 hours ago and, sure enough, they found my left wheel was out. They re-balanced both rears and my ride was smooth straight up to 110 on Rt. 75 in SW Florida!

After reading so many posts about others getting a re-balance only to find they still had the problem I figured I was wasting my time and money and had visions of a big repair bill, especially since I just got new rears and they were just balanced. I'm not usually this lucky but I feel like I won lotto!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Your lucky you didn't earn a Darwin award doing speeds like that on public roads. :bash:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
the spyder is great for hanging corners not a ballsout freeway beating welcome aboard none the less :lol:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Most of us here DO NOT condone reckless/careless driving on any roads - especially public roads. Please keep your "adventures" elsewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the 'chat. There's lots of good info here.
Yes there is ! I learned about the pre-cat issue here and took care of that quickly. For that alone I am eternally grateful. One of mine had a slight crack already starting when I gutted it. So far no oil usage. I also made the decision to go with the TRD front strut tower brace based on reading a mile of bracing threads. Very happy with that decision too. Thanks.

PS... Rt. 75 speed limit is 70 and traffic routinely travels at 90. 100 doesn't even raise an eyebrow here. Not bragging... just fact. But i'll keep my escapades to myself from here on in, as suggested. Peace.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just returned from vacationing in SW Florida and I can say, people do speed! It's very nice compared to people driving 5-10 miles under the speed limit here. :D

Welcome to SpyderChat.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just returned from vacationing in SW Florida and I can say, people do speed! It's very nice compared to people driving 5-10 miles under the speed limit here. :D

Welcome to SpyderChat.
we don't have real turns, we have to get permagrin somehow :/ As for me, I got too many tickets in my civic, *none in the spyder*, so I go 5 over everywhere...and don't use the brake very much :) The track is the best place to do it though; I can't wait to see my top speed on the back straight at Sebring in September!

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
High speed instability is usually tire and/or alignment related with these cars. Aerodynamic factors are pretty decent. It is a fairly small and light car, though, so there are limits no matter how good the tire and alignment are.

I think the original poster here was simply sharing the importance of tires and alignment, not bragging about speed. It seems like everyone speeds in Florida. So long as you don't kill anyone and don't mind paying fines, that's up to you. We do have a "no racing stories" rule here, but I have flagrantly broken the rule myself. Because it was an awesome story. And I'm special. Yeah, that's it. Keep out the riff-raff and all.

If you are new to the car and want to explore handling limits, I strongly suggest you do so at an autocross or similar off-road event. You'll just be that much more prepared to handle emergency maneuvers. Besides, it can be a lot of fun. Until you get bored with it.

Keep the shiny side up and check tires for safety, not just alignment (says the man who has not checked his tire pressure in months).

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
PS... Rt. 75 speed limit is 70 and traffic routinely travels at 90. 100 doesn't even raise an eyebrow here. Not bragging... just fact. But i'll keep my escapades to myself from here on in, as suggested. Peace.
Wow, it must be nice to get where you are going. In LA and OC the average speed limit on the highway is maybe 20 mph :lol:

So no one has done 100mph on an empty lonely road in the middle of nowhere? Please stop the lying.
I actually agree with the old guard on this. Yea, we've all done certain thing which includes: lying, street racing, smoking pot, having unprotected sex, etc. Failing to thereafter say, "oh yea, go ahead, do those things" doesn't make anyone a liar or a hypocrite. We'd be liars if we say, "we have never done those things," and hypocrites if we say, "you're a worthless human being if you do those things." Anyway, the rule is about maintaining an atmosphere and standard of forum topic conduct. The forum rules don't govern what you do when you aren't posting on Spyderchat :)
For what it's worth, I agree with the rule completely. There shouldn't be an overall attitude of acceptance towards street racing anywhere.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
So no one has done 100mph on an empty lonely road in the middle of nowhere? Please stop the lying.
Everyone assumes that 100MPH is not legal. Some states like Montana and Washington I believe have areas where they have really high or non existent speed limits. I personally like the feel of 130+ MPH winds running through my bald head...so yeah keep out of the left lane!

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
100mph doesn't necessarily = reckless and dangerous. Florida roads are straight as an arrow and FLAT. It is very easy to cruise at such a speed and still be pretty safe. Cruising at 100mph is hardly a street racing story either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually agree with the old guard on this. Yea, we've all done certain thing which includes: lying, street racing, smoking pot, having unprotected sex, etc. Failing to thereafter say, "oh yea, go ahead, do those things" doesn't make anyone a liar or a hypocrite. We'd be liars if we say, "we have never done those things," and hypocrites if we say, "you're a worthless human being if you do those things." Anyway, the rule is about maintaining an atmosphere and standard of forum topic conduct. The forum rules don't govern what you do when you aren't posting on Spyderchat :)
For what it's worth, I agree with the rule completely. There shouldn't be an overall attitude of acceptance towards street racing anywhere.
Did you actually read my initial post? Cause I don't see a "street racing" story anywhere in there. When my vibration turned up I did a search of this forum and, in general, found a large number of posts that said that they tried a re-balance and disappointingly it wasn't the cure. I almost skipped re-balancing thinking that balance wasn't my problem. It had to be something else...something specific to the Spyder platform and more expensive. I was simply stating that if you have a high speed vibration rebalancing with a road force balance may be the answer beacuse it was for me. My initial post wasn't about racing in any shape or form. When I found I had a vibration I was driving my Spyder on a Florida highway for the first time since I recently bought it and just going with the traffic like I routinely do with my Grand Marquis or my Honda Civic... getting passed by some I might add. (Sorry if you have to commute at 55mph. We don't). So that means I'm racing? The nice old couple in the Cadillac CTS that passed me at over 100 that day was racing too? Seriously?

Please read my initial post again. If you still think it violated either "maintaining an atmosphere and standard of forum topic conduct" or it reflected "an overall attitude of acceptance towards street racing", (your words) just let me know and I'll go quietly. The "old guard" can look for another noob to dissect. Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It may not be a street racing story but let me expand on my first post.

vibration at speeds above 80 that increased straight through 100. This was a "whole car" vibration rather than a front wheel issue...
You felt the vibration at 80 yet continued up to 100. That my friend is the stupid part, an intelligent person would have quit at 80-85 thinking ' I have a problem, time to slow down ' instead of continuing to 100. If you all drive at those speeds all the time, its the states problem, endangering your self and others over personal actions with a questionable vehicle is not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts