MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 w/ 5 speed manual, only aftermarket thing is full exhaust and I've developed an odd vibration. Not sure when it started but whenever I hit 4k rmps, whether its in gear or not i have a vibration that feels and sounds like something is being rotated through gritty oil. It gets worse the faster Im going (5th gear is worse than 4th and so on) but its only at 4k rmps. Nothing over or under. any ideas on where to start looking?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Something is vibrating at its natural frequency when being excited by the engine's vibrations at that engine speed. Look at everything in the engine compartment that could possibly vibrate, especially heat shields.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then the input shaft of the trans is still spinning and you have not isolated engine from trans for the noise if the clutch is not depressed while testing.
Tested it after I got off work and same thing. The vibration is felt in the pedals the most but other stuff starts tapping away all over the car so its going through the whole car. Not sure if itd be flywheel related or if dblotii is on to something, but Im really hoping its nothing major...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something is vibrating at its natural frequency when being excited by the engine's vibrations at that engine speed. Look at everything in the engine compartment that could possibly vibrate, especially heat shields.
Theres no heatshields left in it but I'll play around with it today and see. I'd be pretty happy if thats all it is haha

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Tested it after I got off work and same thing. The vibration is felt in the pedals the most but other stuff starts tapping away all over the car so its going through the whole car. Not sure if itd be flywheel related or if dblotii is on to something, but Im really hoping its nothing major...
If you have the vibration with the clutch pedal depressed then it is not a trans problem. You might be able to detect a flywheel for looseness by the inspection plate underneath. I have found a loose ring gear that way and think it might be a good idea for a through look. I guess it could be a motor mount also. The rt mount at the #1 cyl is fluid dampened. Mine is 20 years old with 160k without issue but still worth checking all mounts. From what I have read the forward mount can really transmit vibration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have the vibration with the clutch pedal depressed then it is not a trans problem. You might be able to detect a flywheel for looseness by the inspection plate underneath. I have found a loose ring gear that way and think it might be a good idea for a through look. I guess it could be a motor mount also. The rt mount at the #1 cyl is fluid dampened. Mine is 20 years old with 160k without issue but still worth checking all mounts. From what I have read the forward mount can really transmit vibration.
Motor mounts are all new so it shouldnt be those however they forgot to put a bolt in the main mount (front of the engine/ closest to the bumper) when I first replaced them but the shop went through and checked all the others. I'll check the plate tomorrow after work. I tried to see if it was just anything loose in the bay but the only thing that buzzed was my bumper and even after firmly securing that it still hit hard. If it is a ring gear, what am I looking for and what is it going to cost? These are things I wouldnt mind doing myself but since its my daily and I work 11 hours mon-fri I dont have time to learn as I go so its most likely a shop project to replace it.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Motor mounts are all new so it shouldnt be those however they forgot to put a bolt in the main mount (front of the engine/ closest to the bumper) when I first replaced them but the shop went through and checked all the others. I'll check the plate tomorrow after work. I tried to see if it was just anything loose in the bay but the only thing that buzzed was my bumper and even after firmly securing that it still hit hard. If it is a ring gear, what am I looking for and what is it going to cost? These are things I wouldnt mind doing myself but since its my daily and I work 11 hours mon-fri I dont have time to learn as I go so its most likely a shop project to replace it.
I doubt it is the ring gear of the flywheel, that was just an example. I can't really see a flywheel issue either but I can't see or feel your problem. Knowing exactly when the problem occured might be important, did it happen just after work performed on the car. You mentioned new motor mounts. You might have someone load the engine/trans while you check for changes. You need to be very careful doing that and have someone you trust helping. Resonances usually happen around 3k, 4k is pretty high for that. Personally I would not drive it until the problem is discovered and fixed. You might consider taking it to a shop since you have limited time and skill, please don't take that the wrong way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I doubt it is the ring gear of the flywheel, that was just an example. I can't really see a flywheel issue either but I can't see or feel your problem. Knowing exactly when the problem occured might be important, did it happen just after work performed on the car. You mentioned new motor mounts. You might have someone load the engine/trans while you check for changes. You need to be very careful doing that and have someone you trust helping. Resonances usually happen around 3k, 4k is pretty high for that. Personally I would not drive it until the problem is discovered and fixed. You might consider taking it to a shop since you have limited time and skill, please don't take that the wrong way.
You're good, I honestly couldnt tell yah when it started. It just started happening one day. Only other bits of info that might help would be my rear brakes have some play (currently have calipers on the way to fix that) and my passenger front fender liner caught my wheel one day and ripped itself off. I'll have to bring it in this weekend.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
You're good, I honestly couldnt tell yah when it started. It just started happening one day. Only other bits of info that might help would be my rear brakes have some play (currently have calipers on the way to fix that) and my passenger front fender liner caught my wheel one day and ripped itself off. I'll have to bring it in this weekend.
If I was good I would be able to offer better advise. I do much better when things are in front of me. The vibration you mention is something I have never run across so I am just internet guessing, suggesting. I was thinking about the 4k bit and find it interesting that that is the peak torque range of the 1ZZ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I was good I would be able to offer better advise. I do much better when things are in front of me. The vibration you mention is something I have never run across so I am just internet guessing, suggesting. I was thinking about the 4k bit and find it interesting that that is the peak torque range of the 1ZZ.
I know a little about a lot but I've pretty much been learning as I get to work on stuff and since I dont get a lot of time to do my own work, this car has left me befuddled. It feels and sounds almost exactly like sand inside of a lubed up bearing spinning at a high rate. My first thought and still a big concern is the crank pully but I feel like thatd be noticable the whole time Im driving.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I know a little about a lot but I've pretty much been learning as I get to work on stuff and since I dont get a lot of time to do my own work, this car has left me befuddled. It feels and sounds almost exactly like sand inside of a lubed up bearing spinning at a high rate. My first thought and still a big concern is the crank pully but I feel like thatd be noticable the whole time Im driving.
A distinct possibility, higher than looking at the other end IMHO. Try a good visual check, you could mark the two pieces and run more although I am not sure what harm more driving will do. These cars are getting along in years. I have not tried removing one with the engine in car. I didn't think to replace that when I put a new engine in my spyder. It probably would have been a good idea for the long term. From the little research I did it should vibrate at all rpm and increase with engine rpm. I would expect some vibration at lower speeds and an increase above 4k. I expect the vibration would continue to worsen as miles go by until you reach max out of balance or it completely separates if it is the harmonic balance of the pulley. I am guessing the vibration has gradually increased.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Since this happens in neutral, have you tried locating the sound with the engine lid open while someone else revs the engine up?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I talked to a friend today and from here I would agree with dblotii that you should be looking for a resonance first happening only at 4k. No shields on the cat either? Something as simple as a stone in a shield can make terrible noise. Not so sure about feeling it through the entire car though. That really sounds like the engine touching the frame/ body somewhere. Road speed creating more vibration doesn't really indicate motor mounts. Just thinking aloud trying to spark an idea.

Open the engine cover and have someone rev to 4k. Look and listen closely. Check the entire exhaust system for clearance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A distinct possibility, higher than looking at the other end IMHO. Try a good visual check, you could mark the two pieces and run more although I am not sure what harm more driving will do. These cars are getting along in years. I have not tried removing one with the engine in car. I didn't think to replace that when I put a new engine in my spyder. It probably would have been a good idea for the long term. From the little research I did it should vibrate at all rpm and increase with engine rpm. I would expect some vibration at lower speeds and an increase above 4k. I expect the vibration would continue to worsen as miles go by until you reach max out of balance or it completely separates if it is the harmonic balance of the pulley. I am guessing the vibration has gradually increased.
Yea its smooth all the way up to 4k and then after it goes to just about the same smoothness.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I talked to a friend today and from here I would agree with dblotii that you should be looking for a resonance first happening only at 4k. No shields on the cat either? Something as simple as a stone in a shield can make terrible noise. Not so sure about feeling it through the entire car though. That really sounds like the engine touching the frame/ body somewhere. Road speed creating more vibration doesn't really indicate motor mounts. Just thinking aloud trying to spark an idea.

Open the engine cover and have someone rev to 4k. Look and listen closely. Check the entire exhaust system for clearance.
Since this happens in neutral, have you tried locating the sound with the engine lid open while someone else revs the engine up?
I've tried playing with it a little myself by listening and using the throttle body but no such luck, I'll have to try again today if Im able to get to my buddys house. My state just went on lockdown with all this covid stuff going on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Yes we went into lockdown Monday. I walked to the shop, a nice three miles, to pickup the spyder after an alignment Tuesday. Finished playing with coilovers, still want the get camber where I prefer on the rear. I took my truck in for new shocks today. Other than that is watching grass grow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts