MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes we went into lockdown Monday. I walked to the shop, a nice three miles, to pickup the spyder after an alignment Tuesday. Finished playing with coilovers, still want the get camber where I prefer on the rear. I took my truck in for new shocks today. Other than that is watching grass grow.
They have me listed as "essential" otherwise my car would have been stripped apart by now haha

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I have been fooling around putting MR2 Koni shocks in PowerTrix coilovers. I have more practice installing coilovers than I really wanted, pretty quick at it now. The KW's are just a bit to low for me driving on the street.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have been fooling around putting MR2 Koni shocks in PowerTrix coilovers. I have more practice installing coilovers than I really wanted, pretty quick at it now. The KW's are just a bit to low for me driving on the street.
I've been wanting to do coilover on mine but I work construction and my job is at its end so sadly Im going to have to get rid of my spyder for a truck :( I wouldnt hesitate to buy another though. I've had more fun in this car than anything else I've owned. I've done the oil so far on this haha, I was going to try and do a clutch and flywheel but my only time off has been over christmas and I went back home instead. Im almost hoping to pay it off before I have to get a truck so I can keep it. I wanna try and do a whole top end and put a turbo on it. I need to make some friends in the car field to help my ass out if thats the route I end up taking?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
On another forum, some people reported an issue with the crankshaft pulley. It is actually a harmonic damper with a rubber damper between the pulley and hub. They didn't report vibrations as such, but the visible symptom was a wobble in the pulley as they revved the engine. It is a simple check with a helper. Just have someone shine a light on the pulley as the engine is revved up to see if the pulley wobble, (staying clear of rotating parts of course). If it doesn't, the pulley could be fine. Another check which requires a mirror is a visual inspection of the rubber in the damper (not running ). If it is badly rotted or some is missing, it isn't going to work very well and can produce vibration.

Another concern is the changed mounts. Was the vibration there before the mounts were changed? Were the new mounts OEM? If the mounts were tightened with the engine weight hanging on the mounts, the mounts may be under some static load, which could impact their ability to dampen vibration.

You mentioned an aftermarket exhaust. It is possible it is exhaust related. What system do you have?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I've been wanting to do coilover on mine but I work construction and my job is at its end so sadly Im going to have to get rid of my spyder for a truck :( I wouldnt hesitate to buy another though. I've had more fun in this car than anything else I've owned. I've done the oil so far on this haha, I was going to try and do a clutch and flywheel but my only time off has been over christmas and I went back home instead. Im almost hoping to pay it off before I have to get a truck so I can keep it. I wanna try and do a whole top end and put a turbo on it. I need to make some friends in the car field to help my ass out if thats the route I end up taking?
Trucks are great also, I have an old Tacoma want a be which works fine. I hope you get to keep the spyder as it is a joy to drive and fool with. Now see if you can get local help to find this vibration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
On another forum, some people reported an issue with the crankshaft pulley. It is actually a harmonic damper with a rubber damper between the pulley and hub. They didn't report vibrations as such, but the visible symptom was a wobble in the pulley as they revved the engine. It is a simple check with a helper. Just have someone shine a light on the pulley as the engine is revved up to see if the pulley wobble, (staying clear of rotating parts of course). If it doesn't, the pulley could be fine. Another check which requires a mirror is a visual inspection of the rubber in the damper (not running ). If it is badly rotted or some is missing, it isn't going to work very well and can produce vibration.

Another concern is the changed mounts. Was the vibration there before the mounts were changed? Were the new mounts OEM? If the mounts were tightened with the engine weight hanging on the mounts, the mounts may be under some static load, which could impact their ability to dampen vibration.

You mentioned an aftermarket exhaust. It is possible it is exhaust related. What system do you have?
It'll check out the balancer today after work, I had read that might be a possible cause but didnt want it to be the case so I've been avoiding it haha. The vibration started a few months after the mounts so I dont think its them and the exhaust it the ppe one from mwr, i have had issues with the header to mid pipe gasket but that causes a different noise. How much do you think itd cost to have someone swap out the rubber if it is that pully bushing?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
You would be purchasing a new pulley. I haven't replaced that in car but I think there is room to do that. You can also pull the belt off and run the engine for a short period of time, a few seconds or so while checking for the vibration. Figuring out the belt route is a fun brain teaser the first time. Locking the engine to remove the crank pulley bolt is also fun. It will be interesting to know what is causing the vibration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ... Been following this post - as I have the peculiar "vibration upon acceleration" issue... But the more I read about your Spyder's symptoms, I believe that the problem may be your brake dust shields... (The tinware that covers the brake discs / rotors) .. They corrode, and can vibrate and result in a "buzz" at certain speeds... I know, as it happened to mine.... I was sure it was heatshield or exhaust, so spent hours - and so relieved when I discovered it was something so trivial. Best of luck!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts