MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people rip out their visors, (I'm 6'2 and it is a terribly obstruction), just wondering if there were any good DIY solutions for the holes it leaves. I saw the knobmeister sold plugs, but I thought $15 each (with no screaming eagle option) was a little much for such a simple piece. Has anyone had success making their own, or know anyone else who sells them?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's more of a principle thing than a cost thing... I have already cut the visors out, just looking for a clean fix for the holes left behind.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Do as I do. Don't look at the holes.

I didn't buy the Knobmeisters, because I don't like fitment. They're flat, and the hole is curved. Thought about making something better myself, but never did, and now I just don't look at the holes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I made one. Took about 18 minutes to make after drawing up plans. Turned out awesome! I might have an extra laying around. I'll try to upload a picture later.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Do as I do. Don't look at the holes.

I didn't buy the Knobmeisters, because I don't like fitment. They're flat, and the hole is curved. Thought about making something better myself, but never did, and now I just don't look at the holes.
Either I'm not getting what your saying or..... I dunno.

I have the knobmeisters and they sit flush like the base of the OEM visor does.

·
Registered
642 Posts

I didnt' like paying 15 for mine. but on the other hand its a custom part he probably hasn't made a lot o them, and they were engraved. it made me happy to have them covered.

They fit just fine. Also it appears you can still get a whole bunch of different types

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow tough crowd. All I was saying is something simple I think I could make myself, figured a lot of people had and looking for suggestions. No need to get all bent out of shape...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also removed my visors for same reason but did not want to leave a hole, so ordered from knobmeister. Must say for the time, effort and supplies it would have cost me I thought it was $15 well spent! I also contacted him and he was willing to make the plugs in the color and design I wanted, can't beat that for $15!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

I was kicking around for quite some time on fixing my visors. Now I think Ill just remove them and cover over with Knobmeister!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

They're exactly like the base of the OEM visor.

But one side of the hole is deeper than the other side, the knobmeisters are flat.

So at one side the knobmeister is sticking out a bit, at the other side the knobmeister is lying "in the hole".

Couldn't express myself better, if you still don't understand, take some lessons in Dutch, and I'll explain it again in let's say, two years...:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Indeed the "hole" is asymetric and the cover isn't, see picture.

Looking for a better fit I have considered to try to make the perfect cover with a 3D printer, but didn't.
In the end I made one out of a piece of wood and spray-painted it black. It fills the hole nicely.
98% happy with the result...

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it was me, i would remove the rear view mirrow altogether with visors and install one of this. There is another shorter one too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Indeed the "hole" is asymetric and the cover isn't, see picture.

Looking for a better fit I have considered to try to make the perfect cover with a 3D printer, but didn't.
In the end I made one out of a piece of wood and spray-painted it black. It fills the hole nicely.
98% happy with the result...

I wqs just looking at my visor and even those dont sit flush on both sides.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I wqs just looking at my visor and even those dont sit flush on both sides.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
LOL, I pulled the visors to remove the stickers like T-Bone did. I put the screws back in so I would not lose them, no holes. Never put the visor's back on as I use the top daily and the visors where a PITA. $15 ain't bad for covers and I just purchased some! My second aesthetics mod. It should match my 13" black antenna well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
20 Participants
Cotton
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing