MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having very minor surging and random power gains while accelerating. This was always happening but seems like it was getting worse.

This is the video where I learned of the hidden filter.

I finally got around to this today, and here is what I found.

It was completely blocked with carbon/sludge inside and out. I soaked it in brake cleaner and scrubbed it with a litle brass brush. I had to soak it twice and use a bunch of air, but now its clean. I haven't driven it yet, but I think this might have been a problem. I just wanted to put this out there. Something you might want to service.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Hmmmmm...interesting...nice find...thanks for posting (y)(y)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My car burns alot, well used to. Now it burns less. Leaks from here and there too, but I'm working on that.

I run valvoline racing 10w40 with high zinc content. After the first quart gets burned away I add a quart of Quicksilver 25w40 marine oil. As long as its clean an oily it doesnt matter too much.

When I first got my car running I think it burned a quart per tank of fuel. Now I can make it around 1000 miles.
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if the buildup on your screen/filter is related to this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On the firewall side. I wonder if it runs a risk of going down the bore and falling in the crankcase when fishing it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. I have a leaking valve stem seal on the #3 exhaust. Also I'm sure the piston skirts are gummed up. At least two ways I know of combustion gasses entering the crankcase. No telling how long it's been running like this. About to hit 190000 miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where are these parts in our 1zz spyder engines? Is the 1zz Corolla VVT engine the same as ours? I'd love to check it out if I knew where it is because I have intermittent idling issues.

·
Registered
2002 MR2 Spyder 1zz
72 Posts
Where are these parts in our 1zz spyder engines? Is the 1zz Corolla VVT engine the same as ours? I'd love to check it out if I knew where it is because I have intermittent idling issues.
It's not too tricky to find. Standing at the rear of the car, it's on the passenger side of the engine, on the firewall side/backside (to us) of the engine. If you shine a flashlight back there, you'll see your alternator, the dipstick tube, and a black stump type of thing sticking out of the back of the engine. Touch that. To your left on the engine/manifold is a bolt. That's not it, but it took me a couple double checks to realize that at first (total noob to working on cars). The bolt you want is below that black thing - not immediately below; that's a smaller one. This is a 14mm that angles slightly down. The filter is in there; you remove the bolt and hope that the filter is still attached, and if not, you'll have to carefully fish it out of the hole with some tweezers.

The writeup I used seems to have lost its photos, but might be helpful anyway.

Admittedly this isn't the most spectacular video, took it just for my instagram story today, but it does give a very clear look at the location. It's the bolt facing right/into the firewall, not the one facing the camera.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is the same engine. I assume with minor variances. It is backwards in the MR2. 1zz corolla repair videos shed light on the dark side of the MR2 engine.

As for my problem with idle it still drops but levels out much quicker. I did the maf mod and side vent air intake mod at the same time. I gained some low end torque. I can still feel the vvt come on around 4k, but the transition seems smoother.

Work of advise dont drop anything in the vvt actuator while its off, and dont drop the filter or bolt behind the engine. I did, and had to crawl under there with a mirror and flashlight to find it. It was tricky pulling the filter out, I used an aligator clip taped in some needle nose pliers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts