MR2 SpyderChat banner

Water cooling the PE turbo

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ThangCu35 
#1 · (Edited)
I am about to install a PE turbo on my spyder. The previous owner had started to plumb it up to water cool the turbo - but I bought the car before he could finish. See the blue connections below.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Many air to water inter cooler set ups are already easy to heat soak as it is, especially if you boost for prolonged periods. Trying to cool a turbo with a line from the inter cooler sounds like I am asking for trouble - I'd expect my inter cooler to be severely overworked and unable to properly do its actual job of cooling my intake air. I would much rather tap off of the factory coolant system - but where to tap off of?

It would be much, much better to T off of the engine's coolant line that is nearby for the turbo because the engine's coolant system is very robust and capable of handling that kind of heat – but where to T-off???

As to where to T off of, I am not sure. Please speak up if you have done this before or know some one who has or know where to look for some guidance. By the way - I have searched for days to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

See less See more
#4 ·
I am just trying to stay up with xbiker:eek:

I am running an air to water intercooler.

I believe the lines that go into the throttle body will work. Does it matter which lines from the throttle body? Direction of coolant flowing? Any suggestions as to which side is water in and which side is water out on the turbo or will that even matter? Will it allow water to flow in both directions? I just want to make the coolant is flowing through the turbo and not away from the turbo - and throttle body for that matter.

Thanks for the help.

#6 ·
Don't go into the throttle body with that. If you do, you could end up heating up the TB and therefore heating up the air after the temp has already been read at the MAF. Instead, just split off at the coolant line coming off of the block. Hook up the front side bung on the turbo to the piece on the right, and hook up the one on the backside of the turbo to the split line on the left. Basically your making it be in-line on that coolant line.

#7 ·
Hey Fred, there are some additional pointers over at spyderweb where you asked about this as well.

Are you going to have the turbo swapped over to the red car before the Razorback Run?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.