MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Red MR2 Spyder, 1ZZ w/C56
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a 2001 with 80,400 miles. Today when I went to fold down my top I noticed some water here. I have also noticed that water will slightly leak into the center console cupholder holes whenever it really pours. Is there a drain right here that needs to be unclogged? How can I fix this?

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
^ Those are the important drains, but those are not what are in play here. If the main drains clog, you will get water in the cubbies behind the seats, and ultimately the floor carpets will soak. You do not want that, because they will be almost impossible to dry without ripping them out. If you hear sloshing behind you, take action immediately. There is the drain screen shown above, and there is also an outlet screen at the other end of the pipe that can clog.

The water that you are seeing is condensation, or water beaded up after a previous rain. Possibly a small leak.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ Those are the important drains, but those are not what are in play here. If the main drains clog, you will get water in the cubbies behind the seats, and ultimately the floor carpets will soak. You do not want that, because they will be almost impossible to dry without ripping them out. If you hear sloshing behind you, take action immediately. There is the drain screen shown above, and there is also an outlet screen at the other end of the pipe that can clog.

The water that you are seeing is condensation, or water beaded up after a previous rain. Possibly a small leak.
Oh the drain in the soft top was actually just clogged. I cleared it out and no more problem. For now. However I do have another drainage issue if you would like to help.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I cut the 'Mercedes emblem' 3 spokes of plastic out of my drains. I assume the design is to prevent rodents, which isn't a concern for me nearly as much as leaves/debris accumulating. YMMV

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cut the 'Mercedes emblem' 3 spokes of plastic out of my drains. I assume the design is to prevent rodents, which isn't a concern for me nearly as much as leaves/debris accumulating. YMMV
I actually did that too recently whenever I was cleaning them again. It seems like it only helps them to get clogged. I don’t really care about rats we don’t have that issue here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts