MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Weapon R Dragon intake, and it works mostly fine, idling normally, no CEL, but if I floor it below 3,000 RPM it bogs briefly before behaving normally. One thing I did that wasn't in the instructions was regarding that little sensor (don't know its name) that runs off the same wiring harness as the MAF and goes between the PCV system and the intake pipe. I connected it via the flexible tube in the kit to the circular bung that goes off the intake pipe, just making sure that everything that used to be connected in the stock intake was also connected in the aftermarket one. I'll get a picture later; in the meantime, if this rings a bell for anyone, let me know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You should wipe your ECU by unplugging your battery or the fuse for it for awhile if you did not do that. Otherwise the car will drive strangely while it slowly relearns and adjusts to the correct fuel trims for your new setup. Clearing it sets it back to factory defaults but without knowing the history of your setup it should adjust much faster.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point; I had to remove the battery to install the new intake anyway, so I did give the ECU a chance to relearn it from scratch. After a short romp around town, the weird hesitations are getting less and less frequent, so it seems to be getting closer to normal now. Maybe I was a bit too impatient to ask for help on this. Anyway, we'll see how it goes from now on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just installed a Weapon R Dragon intake, and it works mostly fine, idling normally, no CEL, but if I floor it below 3,000 RPM it bogs briefly before behaving normally. One thing I did that wasn't in the instructions was regarding that little sensor (don't know its name) that runs off the same wiring harness as the MAF and goes between the PCV system and the intake pipe. I connected it via the flexible tube in the kit to the circular bung that goes off the intake pipe, just making sure that everything that used to be connected in the stock intake was also connected in the aftermarket one. I'll get a picture later; in the meantime, if this rings a bell for anyone, let me know.
I just put a CAI on mine and it also did not leave an opening for the vaccume switch. I secured it to the intake tube with a zip tie and put a little breather filter on it. A little ghetto but it drives great.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
On this board, the Weapon R intake has long (10 years now) been known as crap. It's been so long I forget the reason why - something to do with the little electronic box they include.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
On this board, the Weapon R intake has long (10 years now) been known as crap. It's been so long I forget the reason why - something to do with the little electronic box they include.
The Weapon R/Dragon R CAI is just a pipe and filter and there is no electronics with it.Just a spot to put the MAF on.The vacuum switch that was discussed is a stock part that goes to the stock air box.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

·
Registered
22,980 Posts
You should wipe your ECU by unplugging your battery or the fuse for it for awhile if you did not do that. Otherwise the car will drive strangely while it slowly relearns and adjusts to the correct fuel trims for your new setup. Clearing it sets it back to factory defaults but without knowing the history of your setup it should adjust much faster.
You will never get that big of a change by unplugging the ECU. It helps in a normal running car to adjust for better performance learned quicker however it will never correct any appreciable discrepancy.

·
Registered
22,980 Posts
The Weapon R intake is a great intake and what makes it great is that it's good for the money the other intake systems are overpriced for the same thing.

There should be no problem using one of their intakes and if there is then there is either a problem with the installation where there is some un-metered air getting past the MAF though a leak or the MAF is out of calibration.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it's working fine now; pulls fine no matter where in the rev range I stomp on it, and no hesitation. Must've just been the ECU having some initial hiccups while relearning. Thanks everyone for your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts