MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanna-be here! Selling one of my motorcycles as I'd like to go with an MR2 Spyder. But keeping the Gold Wing.

Would like having A/C, heat, a larger windshield, four wheels and great rain protection. I can do easy weekend trips for two on the Gold Wing. My Gold Wing has 5+ cubic feet or storage in the top trunk and saddlebags.

Reading that the Spyder has 1.9 cubic feet of cargo room.

I've seen some add a small luggage rack on their rear deck:

How are y'all managing weekend trips with you wife, husband or partner?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
We take duffel bags. My wife gets all of the box behind the seats, and I put mine in the front with the spare tire.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There isn't much room but definitely more than 1.9 cubic ft. That number maycquote only the drunk with a spare tire or something like that. There is a small trunk and a storage area behind the seats. I would basically think of it as 3 bookbags worth of volume but with creative planning it can hold quite a bit... assuming you aren't hoping to bring a pressed 3 piece suit

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I travel ( with the MC ) , I know where I'm going and UPS ship boxes of clothes to the various hotels.... ( since I can carry 3 days worth due to brides shoes :) )
Never had an issue with hotel receiving box, and I swap out clothes and ship back home to daughter's house.

No reason why it wouldn't work with the MR2

·
Registered
82 Posts
For extra storage i make the passenger live with bags by their feet. Practically doubles the available space lol. Frunk can hold a lot if you remove the donut spare. Even with the spare you can still get a bookbag in.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a set of fitted bags that go in the cargo bins behind the seats. Google search "MR2 Spyder Luggage" and you'll find them... here's a set, cheaper than what I paid... I was happy to get them for $150

MR2 Luggage

I have lived out of these bags easily on a 10 day road trip. Wife and I have gone 4 days with no problems

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I travel ( with the MC ) , I know where I'm going and UPS ship boxes of clothes to the various hotels.... ( since I can carry 3 days worth due to brides shoes :) )
Never had an issue with hotel receiving box, and I swap out clothes and ship back home to daughter's house.

No reason why it wouldn't work with the MR2
I'll have to try that in the future. But, I'm fortunate to have a great 4-season travel trailer with my own queen size bed, full dry bathroom and kitchen. So I like to drag my house with me for 2-week excursions. This Spyder would be for shorter trips. Would love to drive from Seattle to San Diego to visit family when this whole COVID-19 pandemic ends.

For extra storage i make the passenger live with bags by their feet. Practically doubles the available space lol. Frunk can hold a lot if you remove the donut spare. Even with the spare you can still get a bookbag in.
Yes, definitely take out the spare. Have several vehicles and in 40 years of driving, only swapped out the spare once. Now, we'd just tow to the closest tire shop and get a new pair for that axle.

Right?

Do most of you take out the spare? It's weight we don't need.

I have a set of fitted bags that go in the cargo bins behind the seats. Google search "MR2 Spyder Luggage" and you'll find them... here's a set, cheaper than what I paid... I was happy to get them for $150

MR2 Luggage

I have lived out of these bags easily on a 10 day road trip. Wife and I have gone 4 days with no problems
Bookmarked for the future. Love to support small U.S. businesses. Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tbh, im only running no spare right now because mine's tire is worn to coords so not safe to use anyways. Roads arent too great where I live and lots of construction. Ive gotten 3 flats in the year and a half that ive owned the spyder lol.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If you invert a full size spare the space inside the wheel is accessible. I can put two 30L soft backpacks behind the seats. I did remove the panel doors though. When you know how to travel light there is no problem using the spyder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Voodoo Donuts are my favorite donuts in Portland. Best in the US that I've had.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you need a special doodad to invert the spare?
You do if you want to secure it down. Someone on here used to make and sell them. Okay, it was Darkday. He hasn't been active for over a year here though. It's just a piece of threaded rod with a large knob. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I believe it is 8mm x1.25 treads. I made one but have never used it. The rod cut to length, couple of nuts and a large aluminum flat washer or sq with two tightening tabs and good to go.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You can cut the original down to size then weld threads onto it or cut a section out of the unthreaded portion, then use a die to thread each end and use a threaded sleeve to join the two pieces. It was worth the hassle for more storage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm hunting for a long Duffel bag for a two day trip. I think that will do it.
Last Friday we went on a day 300 mile round trip to Rockport TX and back to Houston. All we took was a Igloo Lil' Playmate Ultra. It barely fit in the passenger cubby after removing the jack tools to the other side. Had enough room to stuff a set of fresh clothes on the other side. We both wished on a trip like that-– we had a place to stay overnight.

Rockport was appealing and has healed up since hurricane Harvey. Hot though and had to put the top up. We had a nice seafood supper at Paradise Key (at a big marina).

·
Registered
'03 Silver MR2 Spyder & '12 Silver Tacoma 4WD (1 for the road & 1 for the beach)
6 Posts
I'll have to try that in the future. But, I'm fortunate to have a great 4-season travel trailer with my own queen size bed, full dry bathroom and kitchen. So I like to drag my house with me for 2-week excursions. This Spyder would be for shorter trips. Would love to drive from Seattle to San Diego to visit family when this whole COVID-19 pandemic ends.

Yes, definitely take out the spare.
Have several vehicles and in 40 years of driving, only swapped out the spare once. Now, we'd just tow to the closest tire shop and get a new pair for that axle.

Right?

Do most of you take out the spare? It's weight we don't need.

Bookmarked for the future. Love to support small U.S. businesses. Thanks.
We took a trip from south Texas to North Carolina and back. Gone for a week. Didn’t remove the spare tire. Had plenty of room for duffels behind the seats. It was wonderful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts