MR2 SpyderChat banner
221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Added a couple ounces back. Sadly the intercooler is going to need some more ductwork and another bracket at least. Flopping around it was touching the shifter counterweight. So, I needed something. There is a small chance that I may be able to fit a core between the firewall and transmission. I would need to rework some wiring and vacuum lines. Generally I think it would be less intake piping running past the manifold and that would be a good thing. Maybe shave a few ounces of insulation.

Anyway,

Here is what I ended up with for this weekend.

Tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
My Tillet B5's will be here this week. So I picked up these brackets. I'm not a fan of the oversized brackets that everybody offers. Sure they probably bolt to anything but with a little custom work these are probably 1/4 the weight. I am still looking around to see if I can find some made from aluminum but these are decently light.

Finger Font Tool Rectangle Auto part

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 · (Edited)
Ok, NEXT weight reduction odd item. Let's talk rotors. The closest car to our Spyder is, let's admit it, the Miata. We even share some parts. So, I am thinking of tapping the MX5 market for light weight rotors. Let's take a look at what something like that could possibly yeild.

Our 1st example is a Wilwood rotor coming in at 10.1 lbs vs the stock MX5 rotor of 13.1 lbs. A savings of 3 lbs per side. Granted this is toward the center of the hub but that is still pretty darn substantial. As GoMiata writes these actually have better cooling performance than OE for the MX5. So, lighter weight AND some of the benefits of a BBK. Wilwood would no doubt provide a hat and friction surface per our dimensions. Note that this is a VERY expensive weight reduction item. On par with major panel carbon fiber. EST... $1000 USD before shipping.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Alloy wheel

Next let's take a look at Strange Engineering. Now, keep in mind these would be for autocross or drag racing only and likely would not hold up well to street use. Additonally, I expect they would be downright dangerous on a track. BUT.... a rotor matching the ZZW30 diameter comes in at 4 LBS!!!! Yes FOUR!! So, what would it take to fit these? Well for one the calipers would need modification of their slider pins for the narrower disc. The rotor MAY need drilling as most of these are for 5 lug drag cars.

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Circle

Another option halfway in between would be to go with solid disc rotors again with modified sliders. These guys say a 2.5 lb savings over the crappy non ventilated MX5 rear brakes. So, theoretically it would be substantially more going from vented to solid. I am hesitant given the mountains I drive but for autoX and street use this would be a pretty sweet option.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gear Automotive wheel system

So, does anyone have the OE front and rear rotor dimensions quickly available? I would like to contact Wilwood and chat about options.

Edit: Let's get started. Here's the data I have so far....

Rear​
Inches​
mm​
Dia​
10.35​
262.89​
Thickness​
0.63​
16.002​
Hat​
1.6220472441​
41.2​
Front​
Dia​
10.03​
254.762​
Thickness​
0.787​
19.9898​
Hat​
1.7007874016​
43.2​

Font Circle Eyelash Parallel Number
Font Eyelash Material property Circle Parallel

This is the dimension I am missing to inquire with Wilwood:
Font Circle Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

It APPEARS that the MX5 (Miata) NB 2001 FRONT rotor may replace both the front and rear rotors of the ZZW30 with the bolt holes bored out 1.5mm more. So, the only thing I need to confirm is the hat diameter. The center line would be 1.8mm off. So, a brand new set of pads may bind. But if you skip the backing shim on both sides of the pads everything MAY bolt up!

Take a look!
Font Material property Circle Parallel Eyelash

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
I found a few sources for 255mm X 20mm rotors. I'll make a few calls and post back here.

In the mean time I have been fixing some visual issues caused by some of the weight reduction projects. For example, the media head unit replacement left some ugly exposed dashboard reinforcement struts. So, I fabbed up some lightweight covers from a set of trim pieces another forum member provided to me. Anyone who is looking to shave that chunk of weight from the OEM CD casset unit should consider this option. The car needs a bit of cleaning but you get the idea.

Tire Automotive tire Bumper Synthetic rubber Rim

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 · (Edited)
More odd items. Started on the carbon fiber seat installation today. The Tillet B5 seats arrived as did the stamped steel mini brackets.

Rather than simply purchase a huge heavy steel plate I am going to fabricate my own adjustable mounts using much less material than the aftermarket offerings do. I suspect this will come in at less than half the weight of "racing" brackets sold by most places that simply bolt up. I also suspect that the Tillet seats won't work well with something like this since the whole point of the B5 is that it sits LOWER than the mounting points.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

See, that's a lot of material that does essentially nothing. Then you still have to mount sliders and mounting brackets on top of all that. Just a stupid design with way more weight and a higher overall seating position than needs to be. Here are the mini brackets that I'll be using.

Finger Font Tool Rectangle Auto part

Here are the Tillet B5 seats in their raw form.

Hood Toy Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

And as promised the weight without bracketry.

Fluid Automotive lighting Automotive tire Finger Measuring instrument

Not great at 9.94 lbs, but these are very very sturdy. I expect them to come in around 14 lbs each with brackets. A savings of estimated 30+ lbs total. Easily the most expensive pound for pound weight reduction I have done so far. The wheels and tires were a close second.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok, NEXT weight reduction odd item. Let's talk rotors. The closest car to our Spyder is, let's admit it, the Miata. We even share some parts. So, I am thinking of tapping the MX5 market for light weight rotors. Let's take a look at what something like that could possibly yeild.

Our 1st example is a Wilwood rotor coming in at 10.1 lbs vs the stock MX5 rotor of 13.1 lbs. A savings of 3 lbs per side. Granted this is toward the center of the hub but that is still pretty darn substantial. As GoMiata writes these actually have better cooling performance than OE for the MX5. So, lighter weight AND some of the benefits of a BBK. Wilwood would no doubt provide a hat and friction surface per our dimensions. Note that this is a VERY expensive weight reduction item. On par with major panel carbon fiber. EST... $1000 USD before shipping.

View attachment 89909

Next let's take a look at Strange Engineering. Now, keep in mind these would be for autocross or drag racing only and likely would not hold up well to street use. Additonally, I expect they would be downright dangerous on a track. BUT.... a rotor matching the ZZW30 diameter comes in at 4 LBS!!!! Yes FOUR!! So, what would it take to fit these? Well for one the calipers would need modification of their slider pins for the narrower disc. The rotor MAY need drilling as most of these are for 5 lug drag cars.

View attachment 89910

Another option halfway in between would be to go with solid disc rotors again with modified sliders. These guys say a 2.5 lb savings over the crappy non ventilated MX5 rear brakes. So, theoretically it would be substantially more going from vented to solid. I am hesitant given the mountains I drive but for autoX and street use this would be a pretty sweet option.

View attachment 89911

So, does anyone have the OE front and rear rotor dimensions quickly available? I would like to contact Wilwood and chat about options.

Edit: Let's get started. Here's the data I have so far....

Rear​
Inches​
mm​
Dia​
10.35​
262.89​
Thickness​
0.63​
16.002​
Hat​
1.6220472441​
41.2​
Front​
Dia​
10.03​
254.762​
Thickness​
0.787​
19.9898​
Hat​
1.7007874016​
43.2​

View attachment 89912 View attachment 89913

This is the dimension I am missing to inquire with Wilwood:
View attachment 89914

It APPEARS that the MX5 (Miata) NB 2001 FRONT rotor may replace both the front and rear rotors of the ZZW30 with the bolt holes bored out 1.5mm more. So, the only thing I need to confirm is the hat diameter. The center line would be 1.8mm off. So, a brand new set of pads may bind. But if you skip the backing shim on both sides of the pads everything MAY bolt up!

Take a look!
View attachment 89915
Would the bolt holes actually need enlarged though? The studs are m12 if I recall correctly so that’s 1 mm if clearance built in If I’m thinking correctly. I’m sure a machine shop could easily enlarge them if needed, but I’m thinking the bolts would clear from looking at the dimensions.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Would the bolt holes actually need enlarged though? The studs are m12 if I recall correctly so that’s 1 mm if clearance built in If I’m thinking correctly. I’m sure a machine shop could easily enlarge them if needed, but I’m thinking the bolts would clear from looking at the dimensions.
Good point. What I'm having touble finding is a rotor hat that fits the 10.5 inch rotor that seems to be available on the market. That one should fit up with the MR2 caliper with maybe 0.1" elongation of the rotor mounting hole.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Started on the seats today. Not super happy but not disappointed either. I was hoping my brackets would weld right to the existing brackets. I guess I technically could do that but I'll be giving up about 3" of travel and the seat would be about 1" higher. So, out comes the angle grinder, Dremel and filler rod. I want the full travel of the seat so I can access my cargo area.

Currently these are coming in at 24 lbs lighter before I add the brackets. Pics in a second.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Hand Automotive tire Camera lens Finger Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Toy Automotive design Tire Automotive exterior

Filthy from a recent road trip with my daughter but shows the space we're working with.
Shoe Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive parking light

·
Registered
686 Posts
And as promised the weight without bracketry.

Not great at 9.94 lbs, but these are very very sturdy.
That is none too heavy @Node. My come in at 5.1 kg.

I read you are experiencing why I took the easy way out with the OEM sliders ;)

But then I have the carpet/padding and all of the entertainment console out; only a panel with 2 USB ports, a 12V socket and voltage meter :cool:

Whishing you (y)

As to the brakes there have been several forum projects with Wilwood brakes. Should pop up on a search. There should still be a kit for the brackets available. I am thwarted by the legislation here otherwise I´d have the lightweight callipers and semi-floating disc mounted.
Whatever you choose, do look very, VERY carefully and then some more again, at the rim clearance!

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Started on this last night. MAN it's a lot of careful cutting and welding. I am going to have to head out and pick up some more electrodes in a few. There are 14 rivets to drill out per seat and then the frame needs to be cleaned up and repainted. I REALLY understand why people buy the heavy aftermarket plates and brackets. Kinda defeats the purpose though. This a lot more work than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I REALLY understand why people buy the heavy aftermarket plates and brackets. Kinda defeats the purpose though. This a lot more work than I thought it would be.
I swa that one coming when I went for it. Yes I do agree that if you go for custom brackets without the OEM sliding/tilting, you want them LÍGHT.
The catch is that the MUST be sturdy and stable. Floppy also defeats the purpose. Solid is a MIUST, light a wánt.

As I wrote I did it easier still and retained all of the OEM thing´s functionality. Heck, gained the inclination/hight adjustment on the passenger one.
Yes, it leave several kilos but, again, retains max practicality and I still gained one OEM seat incl. rails, wotrth of added lightness.
The two additional aspects are:
1. the charming companies insited on the practicality
2. I can now swap them for periodic inspection in mínutes

Hat off to your determination!

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Started chopping. This looks like it is going to work. After a lot of thought and LOTS of measurements I am close to a design. Here's the first few shots of the progress.

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Automotive tire Gas Font

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Bumper Automotive lighting

Road surface Wood Automotive tire Asphalt Flooring

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
More slow progress after dinner. Clearly I need to remove much more material. Some more cutting to do but the frame comes in around 9.72 lbs. So roughly 19.62 lbs per seat with all hardware. Compared with 33.6 lbs for the factory seat with bracket. A total weight savings of approximately 13.98 lbs per side (27.96 lbs total). So, this is a lot of work to shave 28 lbs!!!!

Automotive lighting Fluid Finger Temperature Measuring instrument

Luggage and bags Bag Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Musical instrument accessory Luggage and bags Bag Gas Bicycle part

·
Registered
686 Posts
The heaviest bit is the reclining mechanism. I took that off too and mán were those rivets hárd!
So not that much different as my choice after all. I managed to fit the bottom mounting seats using the OEM frame. The only weight penalty being the OEM cross bars and the tilting mechanism whereas you are adding the custom lightweight uplrghts.

Looks like it is progressing nicely. Chapeau!!

Obviously Í think you did VERY well to go with the OEM sliders as that makes for a proper anchoring to the floor despite it being a sliding mechanism. The OEM thing locks the seat solidly in place which is a MUST.

Curious as t o what they will weigh. Possibly slightly heavier than an aftermarket frame bolted to the floor and for that you get access to the cubby space, Sensible in mý eyes indeed.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So, this is a lot of work to shave 28 lbs!!!!
That was my first thought too when I weighed it up after completion BUT.... It is all in the BUTT.

You will só appreciate the better support and the feed back is só much directer.

So;
1. 28 lbs delete is none too shabby
2. you will no longer need to hang on to the steering wheel
3. the contact with the road increases into another order of info

On mý list 2. and 3. are higher on the priorities list than 1.

Yes, a lot of faffing but you will be proud as a monkey with 7 tails.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Thwarted again. Test fit the brackets, spacers and seat. Need longer bolts..... but not too long. Of course I packed or tossed my massive pile of bolts. No idea where they went. But, the roughed in passenger brackets are test fit and appear to line up where I want everything. I may need to chop the front bracket if I want to use the bottom hole. For now I'll test fit at 20% height even front and rear.

Once I get a feel for how I like the position of the seats I will pull the brackets, cut off any excess mass o have and disassemble for powder coat.

Here's where I'm at with the tack welds in place. It's ugly right now but it should look pretty good after I clean it all up and coat it.

Photograph Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Black Automotive lighting

My stupid bolts that don't fit.... None are a good length. To be fair the ones that came from Tillet would work with aftermarket brackets. So can't blame them
Wood Handwriting Font Auto part Metal

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 · (Edited)
By Jove this read like añ Johanne processie; two steps forwards, one backwards.
I só hope you like the end result.
I have done enough crazy stuff to tell already that this is going to look great and work even better. I already have red Prothane side mount bushings for the seats that will make this look super trick. My only concern at this point is that the seats won't be low enough or that I'll want more rake than the height adjustments allow. To the hardware store tomorrow. Then I'll provide the 90% done, seats mounted in the car shots.

Need to hurry this up. I'm taking a 1400 mile road trip (one way) very soon from Colorado to Georgia. May even go to The Tail Of The Dragon with the car. So, I may just get these physically installed then do the cosmetics later.

221 - 240 of 275 Posts