MR2 SpyderChat banner
261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 · (Edited)
Ok okay, I've been spending some coin on weight reduction. Let's take a look at some cheap items stolen from the Lotustalk forum.

Remove two heavy license plate lights and replace with single light weight LED.

Use plastic screws for licence plate.

Dremel out the foam under the dash.

Remove or replace hood and frunk prop rods with carbon fiber or aluminum.

Lightweight plastic idler pulley (not turbo manifold friendly)

Oil vent tube block off plates aluminum

Mill passenger side motor mount bracket.

Drill out steel stamped motor mount brackets

·
Registered
763 Posts
To attach the license plate, aluminium pop rivets are lighter still.

I simplified/cut back the license plate holder.

You can delete the plastic cover left under the dash which holds the OBD port.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
To attach the license plate, aluminium pop rivets are lighter still.

I simplified/cut back the license plate holder.

You can delete the plastic cover left under the dash which holds the OBD port.
I do have some rivnuts that I could use then remove the screw. I like the way you think!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I do have some rivnuts that I could use then remove the screw. I like the way you think!
One rule of thumb is that what you delete weighs nothing :D

I have most of what I am prepared to do done.
Not deleting the door pull bars. Still thinking about the mirrors as I do need good view because of the interior mirror delete.
Dó still want to DIY a lightweight bonnet/hood which is ´simply´ a matter of doing it and would reallyREALLY like a lexan windscreen but that is prohibitively costly here because of shipping/tax :cry:

Anyway today had new shocks fitted (yes, reallignment done) and the líght front is such a doddle. I now have the car neutral with foot controlled oversteer. It only understeers if you hamfistely plow into a tightish corner.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
A few idea stolen from the Miata forums.

Remove hood and trunk bracing (floppy mode)

Remove bell housing bolts and cut down

Remove rear sway bar

Replace gas door release cable with snap, magnet

Swiss cheese crash bar in the vertical fron plane

R&R center console with carpet

Exhaust hangers. You really only need two.

Remove one tow nut from the rear. You only need one or none

Replace heavy OEM radiator fans with slim line units that weigh less and move more air

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been looking through the other weight reduction historical posts and it seems some items are missing. I have been slowly dropping weight from my build and I am to the point that I need to start getting creative. So, let's put a list together of items the other weight reduction threads have missed. Let's compile some hard to find weights.

For example I have found some Neodymium speakers that weigh just 3.8 LBS. What is the OEM speaker weight? For that matter what does the OEM in dash sterio weigh? Some of these Chinese android units are very light and swapping out worn components could potentially have free weight savings if done right.

Edited with contributions below:
  1. Speakers -
  2. In Dash -
  3. Side Mirrors -
  4. Rear View Mirror (not legally required in most state inspections)
  5. OE Door Glass -
  6. Windshield Glass -
  7. Hood Hinges -
  8. Engine Bay "Trunk" Hinges -
  9. Brake Rotor "Dust Shields" -
  10. Hardtop Glass -
  11. Hardtop Plexi -
  12. Evap Canister -
  13. Door Lock Solenoids -
  14. Power Antenna (swap to stubby) -
  15. Glass Fog Lights (swap to plastic) -
  16. Washer Tank (run empty or close to) -
  17. Replace the large door pull handles with pull straps -
  18. Evap hard lines
  19. OEM Alarm receiver module (2ZZ swap doesnt have RFID key function)
"APR" CARBON FIBER SIDE MIRRORS

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Remove two heavy license plate lights and replace with single light weight LED.

Use plastic screws for licence plate.
You sir are a true madman

·
Registered
763 Posts
Swiss cheese crash bar in the vertical front plane
Went two steps further; removed it ánd the washer bottle

Trimmed the rear crash bar too, cheesed the inner side only. but fitted a thícker ARB; sorry 😌 , but not doing car park x-cing ;)
Also deleted the heat shield at the RH side.

Remove hood and trunk bracing (floppy mode)
Still have DIY-ing lightweight replicas on the agenda.

And don´t forget the Lexan windscreen!

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
"And don´t forget the Lexan windscreen!"

NGL I have considered replacing all of the glass with thermoformed Lexan. Not really interested in replacing that stuff every 12 to 18 months or having it sag in the sun. It gets hot in the places I live. I am tempted though.

·
Registered
763 Posts
"And don´t forget the Lexan windscreen!"

NGL I have considered replacing all of the glass with thermoformed Lexan. Not really interested in replacing that stuff every 12 to 18 months or having it sag in the sun. It gets hot in the places I live. I am tempted though.

Would not get hotter than where I live :cool:

It´s the same stuff used for motorcycle helmet visors; quite scratch resistant if not like glass but in turn just about shatter proof, a lót safer than glass. It also has less refraction than glass.
At the US $ price I would have had it in yéars ago.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Would not get hotter than where I live :cool:

It´s the same stuff used for motorcycle helmet visors; quite scratch resistant if not like glass but in turn just about shatter proof, a lót safer than glass. It also has less refraction than glass.
At the US $ price I would have had it in yéars ago.
The side and back windows would be coming from the UK. Not exactly cheap. Im leaving the car in covered parking not a garage for a month or so. Itll be dealing with a little UV even under a car cover so this project will have to wait until Im back in my garage. I really do like the idea of 100% usable Lexan windows. Found out my rear defroster has never worked so there was no point in going with glass anyway.

Why are you guys trying to get me to spend more money? This thread was SUPPOSED to be for the easy stuff. Look where I am now... :cautious:

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Weight reduction impressions:

Some of you who follow my builds know that I have owned quite a lot of cars over the years. From giant lumbering SUV's F250 service bodies, about a dozen MR2s and a few exotics. The closest comparison to my current Spyder was my 2005 Lotus Elise with the LSS package.

Now, the Spyder does not exactly get the same kind of attention as the Lotus but that's really not the point of this write up. Comparing the two cars after the modifications I have done seems very fair. Especially given the MSRP when I bought the Lotus and the addition of the Sport Suspension package.

The Elise had AO48 tires on it at the time and they were great but still technically a road tire suitable for the track on the 17” LSS wheels. The MR2 Spyder has Azinis RT660s. Kind of a track tire that is also suitable for the road on 15” RPF1s.

Road feel: The Elise was more communicative and tracked somewhat more accurately. Perhaps due to the lower profile wheel. Or, maybe due to the MR2 having a somewhat screwed up scrub radius from the extra offset I chose. Either way the Elise felt more crisp with the steering. However, that is where the benefits end. While the Lotus had a better steering feel, it also crashed over hard bumps that the MR2 shrugs off. That's not to say that the MR2 is better with road imperfections, it's just that the car does not feel like its going to be torn apart from a pot hole. Even so, the MR2 gets upset by bumps mid corner and requires steering input to hold the line where the Lotus did not.

Grip: This MR2 is in an absolute different league when compared with OEM LSS Lotus Elise! I cannot overemphasize this. With the current setup OEM base springs with KYB Black struts the car feels like it could pull your face off. I need to do some datalogs to show the lateral G's but it well exceeds 1.0G and not just for brief periods or transitions.

Acceleration: With the Lotus it was easy to fall out of lift on the 2ZZ engine. I often found myself waiting for the power to come back after a tricky corner. Those two or three seconds make a big deal when competing with higher end cars. In the MR2 the cam change does not matter, period. Sure it gives you more rev range to play with but from 3000 RPM on boost is INSTANTLY ready. If feels a bit like the REV 400 supercharger that many of the Lotus owners swear by. The MR2 just explodes out of the corner lifting the front end toward the sky as if it is searching for a bird to eat. The light weight of this MR2 does help with the chassis pitch but the power is just so huge compared to the weight that I find myself rolling onto the throttle more gradually than I would in the Lotus simply because at part throttle even below lift the Spyder is making substantially more torque than the Elise. I feel like it changes the line through the corners. Yes, it's still MR but a bit more point and shoot. I am planning my breaking much earlier because I will be to the next corner quicker and arrive at higher speed.

Braking:
The weight reduction had a huge effect here. I thought I would be upgrading brakes by this point but surprisingly no. Granted most of my driving is just in the first three gears but still I have glazed brakes in similar sized cars with far less power. The brakes are currently stoptech slotted rotors with stainless lines and performance pads. Really, nothing special at this point. That may change as I now have the car near Road Atlanta for the summer (I wonder how the Miata guys would feel if I crashed their party?)

Toss-ability: The car changes direction amazingly easily. The lightness makes correcting and recovering from mistakes a breeze. Honestly, the car has a higher fun factor than the Elise primarily because of this one amazing trait. I'm tempted to do a radiator V-mount to move some mass further back and see if the responsiveness can be even further improved but fear things may become a bit twitchy.

Ride quality:
The reduced weight is very apparent when riding in the car. Think of the difference in a car before and after installing coilovers. A few hundred pounds makes that much of a change. The spring rate feels higher and so does the damping since both are controlling less mass. Sure there may be some odd harmonics over some sort of bumps but I have not found any yet. I have another 50 to 100 lbs of weight I plan to remove.

TLDR:
The weight reduction has made what was a fun car an absolute beast for low and medium speed tracks. In my opinion the reduced weight has made the car much more derivable. Each pound taken out of the chassis feels more and more effective. That is true since as the weight drops every pound shed is a higher percentage of the total weight. So, while it is getting harder and harder to find mass to remove without turning the car into a stripped out racing can, every ounce is more and more valuable as the work progresses.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks for the write up.

Where the MR2 Spyder shines in my opinion in the ´flexibilty´ of the design. In standard form it is a very user friendly, comfortable yet capable fun machine. From there the owner can take it places. The car responds both forgiving ánd rewarding to modifications. It does not quickly turn to bite you but does respond noticeably to changes.

My mods are aimed at nimbleness; handling/weight and it responds ever so sweetly.
I have it on AD08Rs and can make it slide whenever, wherever and however I feel like. Also the OEM ´power´ is plenty enough here in touge heaven.

As fun and good as it is, the imo most outstanding quality is that even with only 900 kilos left it stays forgiving and comfortable.

Keep up the fun @Node!

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
I am really considering deleting my power steering next I only drive for pleasure and rarely off highway
I have been wondering if this puts a lot more stress on the pinion gear. The Lotus S2 racks seem to wear faster than other cars. I think the non PS will wear the gear more quickly since the rack itself is not reducing the pinion load. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have been wondering if this puts a lot more stress on the pinion gear.
Yes it does.
Without the electric pump, there is no oil pressure pushing the rack left/right. The pinion gear now has to transmit all the force needed.
The difference in wear will be negligible though unless you do a lot of parking/ very low speed driving.

When rolling with even moderate speed, how much force do you need to put on the steering to keep it on line through a corner? Not all that much. Exactly why the delete is so worthwhile as it will increase the féél.

Also, the less MR2, the less force is needed. Again the delete will be (y) because it will restore more than the feel lost.

This morning I went to talk with the local sticker guy to make me a stack of car-toon decals and had a bit of fun on the industrial estate ´race track´ :cool:
Véry hard, worn smooth, dusty tarmac and without all the feedback the AD08Rs cán give, it would be either pussyfooting around or an all understeer experience.
Even without p.a.s. the front needs very, véry little effort so how much stress can it be?! To mé this only illustrates the sense of the delete for spirited driving.

But yes, the reduction of hydraulic assistance = the increase in stress.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Factory Toyota seats weigh in around 35lbs each.

An aluminum Kirkey racing seat weighs a mere 2.7lbs without mounting brackets. If you only care about your personal comfort, you solid mount a single aluminum seat with light weight non-adjustable brackets. I could see an easy 50lbs of weight savings for $350. Comfort-wise, they aren't bad, so long as it's just a weekend fun/autocross car.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Long time no nothin´ @Node . How are you and you junior assistant fairing?
Got a new set of videos coming your way. Just need to edit them up. The car has been sitting for a few weeks but doing a run in tomorrow morning. Going to bump the boost to 20 psi on the street now that I have the grip needed. I have designed a LWBK light weight brake kit that I'll have fabbed up once I move into my new place in a couple weeks.

Regarding heavy stuff. The hubs are heavy AF! This would be a great area to address but quite challenging.

261 - 280 of 291 Posts