MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Got a new one for you. Not sure this is a street item but....

Acrylic 9 lbs windshield.
Would have fitted one lòng ago if it were not for prohibitive shipping costs/duties.

Currently going for a CC Ultralight flywheel as I have everything dismantled anyway.

Door cards imo only make sense if you also delete the electric winders and fit fixed acrylic side windows. The latter being a NoNo for a cabrio imo.

Lighter, non electric mirrors áre wortwhile imo. You do need a plate to cover the large hole they leave. Have not come around to fabricating a set.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I just molded a base that fit the mirror gasket with smooth on epoxy. No plate required. The mirrors are heavy :) and I did save a few grams. More importantly I have rid the car for the mirror scoops that threw sand in my face driving the interstate with the windows down.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I found some very light carbon ones but I don't think a carbon part held on by a single threaded connector is a good idea if planning to park... anywhere.

Mind sharing a picture of your mirror install?

·
Registered
502 Posts
More importantly I have rid the car for the mirror scoops that threw sand in my face driving the interstate with the windows down.
Mongos will do that too.
Have a véry cool photo of this but there is a nude gf in it too :rolleyes:
Have driven all summer, May to about three weeks ago when it ate a big end bearing, just about exclusively with the windows down.

Ádded weight today :eek:
With the engine out filled the engine mounts with polyurethane.

Here ideas for you, notably reduces the MR2; the moment of inertia.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I thought you were joking. It really is a windshield washer bag. Neat!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Several of your items have already been weighed and posted. Check out this Weight Reduction thread.

There is a link to a Google Docs spreadsheet with items and weights listed.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Several of your items have already been weighed and posted. Check out this Weight Reduction thread.
Ok maybe the top glass. However, none of those threads have speaker, mirror or hinge weights. All the weight reduction threads are missing several items. I'm about to start weighing the items I just removed. If there is a list that has them it would save me having to weigh some items while I have my car apart this week.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Like I said check the spreadsheet. There are multiple tabs. I know dash, windshield, glass, mirrors, door parts, etc. are there. Hinges probably not, but they would likely get used again when attached to lighter weight components so there would be no savings.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Like I said check the spreadsheet. There are multiple tabs. I know dash, windshield, glass, mirrors, door parts, etc. are there. Hinges probably not, but they would likely get used again when attached to lighter weight components so there would be no savings.
Wow! I stand corrected. I had to open on my PC but yeah the do actually have a few of these! Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I thought you were joking. It really is a windshield washer bag. Neat!
Since bumper/bottle delete is as far removed from the COM as it gets, the mass x radius squared is surprising. Should not be surprsing but then not many gét why the car is named MR2....
Ah and then it is also in frónt of the front axle. Another effect on the direction stability.

Weight reduction always counts but how much it counts depends on whére you reduce it.
Wheels are a good example as those are both unsprung and rotating.
Same thing anthing rotating like flywheel, pulleys.
The there are the distance from the COM and the hight of the weight.

Also lightened the rear end quite a lot. Effect on rotational inertia and weight distribution.

As to the small bits in the interior, well, they do count as it is all weight but on the directional stability it has no effect. Yes, did even take the shield under the dash/steering colums out as 350 gramm is 350 gramm but is really is silly buggers.
The windscreen would be another motter being heavy and high up. But alas :-(

The hood and rear lid I would like to replace too but again shipping cost make it prohibitive. Bought a second bonnet from the scrap yard to use a mold to have a go at a grp one myself. Just have not come around to it.

All in all did not get below 900 kilo topped up by joking @Node :cool:
Also, because I am aware of whát I do, thus whére I take the weight off, my car is áwesomely quick steering! and with the PAS delete gives me ideal feedback.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Given the effort you have put into reducing / relocating mass... Have you considered venting the hood and doing a V mount of the radiator like the RX7 guys do? That would get all that mass half a meter further back. You could even use an Elise radiator given the availability in your location.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hood vented years ago ;-)
Also faffed with the aeo with other bits.

Can´t mess with the rad as that will not pass periodic inspection.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have been looking through the other weight reduction historical posts and it seems some items are missing. I have been slowly dropping weight from my build and I am to the point that I need to start getting creative. So, let's put a list together of items the other weight reduction threads have missed. Let's compile some hard to find weights.

For example I have found some Neodymium speakers that weigh just 3.8 LBS. What is the OEM speaker weight? For that matter what does the OEM in dash sterio weigh? Some of these Chinese android units are very light and swapping out worn components could potentially have free weight savings if done right.

Edited with contributions below:
  1. Speakers -
  2. In Dash -
  3. Side Mirrors -
  4. JustRear View Mirror (not legally required in most state inspections)
  5. OE Door Glass -
  6. Windshield Glass -
  7. Hood Hinges -
  8. Engine Bay "Trunk" Hinges -
  9. Brake Rotor "Dust Shields" -
  10. Hardtop Glass -
  11. Hardtop Plexi -
  12. Evap Canister -
  13. Door Lock Solenoids -
  14. Power Antenna (swap to stubby) -
  15. Glass Fog Lights (swap to plastic) -
  16. Washer Tank (run empty or close to) -
  17. Replace the large door pull handles with pull straps -
Just curious, how much do you weigh?

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just curious, how much do you weigh?
Over 6 ft and 168 lbs. Not much else I can do there unless I cut off a leg. I guess I could shave my head :D

I know the adage of spending thousands and an obese driver not helping the situation.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ooooppsie... Bought these laying in bed last night angry at a client that I had to work though dinner for.

Probably going to have my daughter install them and make a YouTube video. Should be funny.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
502 Posts
This is worse than a bicycle (mtb) weight weanie post I've seen. Lol...
On a bicycle it is way simpler because apart from the rims there is no moment of inertia. On a car it is where one with a bit of forethought can gain a lót of agility. Or not shoot the car in the feet with larger diameter rims ;-)

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This is worse than a bicycle (mtb) weight weanie post I've seen. Lol...
Yeah..... We're all a bit crazy and possibly board.

I do like the idea Petrus has about bringing mass inward. I had never seen a washer fluid bag before. Didn't even know that was a thing. It's crazy but the kind of crazy I like.

That's the reason I started this thread. To hear about the weird *" stuff others have come up with.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts