MR2 SpyderChat banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
think i'll chuck the rotors. that will really drop the unsprung weight. .......................brakes are for sissies anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would really like to see the seibon cf frunk and engine lid weights compared to the factory steel parts. I found this info a few months back and have been searching for over 2 hours trying to find it :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silversprint @ Mar 4 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For example gutting the doors will save 50lbs for each side ...[/b]
I wish I could drop 50 lbs. per door. :)

Impact bars in the doors bars are 3 lbs. each (just cut them out last weekend) and there are two bars in each door.

Door panels, mirrors, glass, wiring, bars, etc. are about 25 lbs. each door.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rande @ Apr 9 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Door panels, mirrors, glass, wiring, bars, etc. are about 25 lbs. each door.[/b]
No, I'm saying that the interior door panel, mirror, glass, wiring, impact bar, add up to 25 lbs. per door. That still leaves the door shell, the hinges, the latch, the release handle.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rande @ Apr 9 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silversprint @ Mar 4 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For example gutting the doors will save 50lbs for each side ...[/b]
I wish I could drop 50 lbs. per door. :)

Impact bars in the doors bars are 3 lbs. each (just cut them out last weekend) and there are two bars in each door.

Door panels, mirrors, glass, wiring, bars, etc. are about 25 lbs. each door.
[/b][/quote]

I guess I was being a little optimistic. Cut up the door shell. All it needs to do is close. The actual shell must be heavy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went ahead and threw this info into a database and wrote a quick front end for it. It's mostly for my own records, but if it's useful to others, that's fine with me. The info is stored in lbs. and I am doing a conversion to kg for anyone that prefers that. Each of the columns is sortable.

http://www.spyderfiles.com/weights.php

The update/add functionality isn't quite finished and will require a password when it is. If other people decide to use this, I can give a couple of people a login so I'm not the only one that can keep it updated.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Great work snodgrass and darkday.
:icon_thumright:

Keep'em coming guys.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A few more items:

Fuel tank - 18 lbs.
Fuel pump - 3 lbs.
Fuel pump service cover, brackets, etc. - 3 lbs.
Charcoal canister assembly & service cover - 7 lbs.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Needed to bump this thread. Computer was down at home and Blackberry couldnt find it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A few more items:

AC compressor, incl. 2 attached hoses - 11.8 lbs.
Fuel filler tube - 3.2 lbs.
Rear strut assembly w/ spring - 15.4 lbs.
Fuel tank (tank only) - 17.2 lbs.
Hub, left rear - 17.2 lbs.
Rear brake rotor - 9.6 lbs.
Rear anti-sway bar - 5.2 lbs.
Rear end links, pair - 1.6 lbs.
Rear control arms, (3) each side - 1.8 - 2.0 lbs. each

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thought this will come in handy for a lot of people..Detailed information about the added/lost weight in my personal MR2.

Firstly,here is the weight of the car with 3/4 tank gas and all fluids toped up.

995 kg or 2.193 lbs

3/4 gas tank is about 35liters.
100 octane gas is approximately 0,750kg per liter.So,35x0,75= 26kg

Very happy with the outcome since the stock curb weight is 980 kg / 2.160 lbs with no fluids at all (gas,oil,coolant etc).

Below are the weights lost and the weights added:

Reactions: 2mAn

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks for the update on those.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
More stuff.

Stock exhaust manifold heat shields -- 6 lbs.
Steering column lock -- 1.8 lbs.
Brake shields -- 2 lbs. for all four
Left rear brake cable -- 1.2 lbs (right should be the same but I only had one out of the car)
Undercoating -- a little over 8 lbs. -- include the coatings on the firewall and front bulkhead and total would still be under 10 lbs.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Cool, Im scraping off the undercoating.:lol:

61 - 80 of 114 Posts