MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I attended my first autox this past weekend at Miller Park, and got a ride along in my buddies STR prepped NC miata, and now I'm hooked. One big thing I need to do is suspension, and I'm not sure what I should do, and I figured you guys would steer me in the right direction. I'm not sure if I should get BC coilovers or if I should do custom valved koni's, with GC sleeves, and swift springs? The koni's would just be the OTS sports revalved for the spring rates I choose. What would you guys recommend?

Updated: 08/18/2016
Current suspension setup:

Apexi N1 pro type-v inverted monotube coilovers

Spring rates: Front: 9kg/mm, Rear: 8kg/mm

Wheels: TRMotorsport C3M 15x9 +36

Tires: BFGoodrich gForce Rivals 225/45R15

Sway bar: F: none, R: none

Alignment

Caster: 4.0*
Camber F: -3.2~ -3.5, R: -2.0
Total Toe: F: 0.0 R: .04

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So I attended my first autox this past weekend at Miller Park, and got a ride along in my buddies STR prepped NC miata, and now I'm hooked. One big thing I need to do is suspension, and I'm not sure what I should do, and I figured you guys would steer me in the right direction. I'm not sure if I should get BC coilovers or if I should do custom valved koni's, with GC sleeves, and swift springs? The koni's would just be the OTS sports revalved for the spring rates I choose. What would you guys recommend?
You don't have to do suspension at all. I think I had the most fun autocrossing on stock suspension. I would recommend doing nothing. People have trophied at national scca events on stock suspension in STR so its definitely not holding you back.

Wheels and tires are the biggest thing you can do right now if you want to do anything.

Glad your hooked, its really fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have star specs right now, but on stock wheels. I'm looking at 6ul's in 15x8 right now. My suspension is stock with 110k on it so I'm going to need to do it some time soon, but I definitely won't let that stop me from getting out there! Any tips, suggestions, recommendations?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I would not recommend BC's for any sort of race environment. I'm not convinced they improve the car at all in that regard.

Take a look at Silversprint's coilovers- I'm really loving mine right now, and will vouch that not only are they worth the price, but they're an alarming improvement over stock.

But I agree with Levi- the most important things are going to be wheels and tires, then seat time, then the rest of the car. I recommend 15x8" at least, and the RE11, R1R, AD08, RS3, Z1, or XS. That should put you within 10-15% of the winning STR cars.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would really like some of those powertrix coils but i dunno if I will have money when the next gb comes around so I'm just not going to plan on it, but if I have the chance I totally will get them. I was thinking 15x8 because I'm not going to be running the 225 RS3's and I thought 9" wheels were a bit of a stretch for 205's.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you want to stay with stock suspension, but feel that your 100K struts need a "refresh", the OEM replacement struts made by KYB are a very affordable solution. They come out at around $57 per corner. KYB made the original struts and also the lauded Sportivo struts. People seem to rate the KYBs highly.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You don't have to do suspension at all. I think I had the most fun autocrossing on stock suspension. I would recommend doing nothing. People have trophied at national scca events on stock suspension in STR so its definitely not holding you back.

Wheels and tires are the biggest thing you can do right now if you want to do anything.

Glad your hooked, its really fun.
I went to my first event a few weeks back. Took a few rides in Levi's friends STI and an M3. Would have enjoyed riding with Levi, but he had to leave early.
Anyways, i now mave myself, my older brother and one of our friends hooked. Still haven't driven, but i plan on it in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Do you mean Miller Stadium in Milwaukee?

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one and only!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would not recommend BC's for any sort of race environment. I'm not convinced they improve the car at all in that regard.

Take a look at Silversprint's coilovers- I'm really loving mine right now, and will vouch that not only are they worth the price, but they're an alarming improvement over stock.

But I agree with Levi- the most important things are going to be wheels and tires, then seat time, then the rest of the car. I recommend 15x8" at least, and the RE11, R1R, AD08, RS3, Z1, or XS. That should put you within 10-15% of the winning STR cars.
are these the coilovers you're talking about?
http://www.silversprint.com/servlet/the-Toyota-cln-MR-dsh-S-00-dsh-05/Categories

which version? the normal or the ultralites? also, does anyone run 15x9 (6UL) with 225/45/15 or are most of you guys sticking with 8s?

·
Registered
997 Posts
are these the coilovers you're talking about?
http://www.silversprint.com/servlet/the-Toyota-cln-MR-dsh-S-00-dsh-05/Categories

which version? the normal or the ultralites? also, does anyone run 15x9 (6UL) with 225/45/15 or are most of you guys sticking with 8s?
I think Levi is running 15x9. don't quote me though. Check out his STR build thread..
I chose to go with the 15x9 +36 949 racing 6ULs all around with 225/45/15 Hankook RS3s.
Also, i have BC BR coilovers with 5k/7k. I am happy with them so far, but i got a good price on them. If i didn't i would have gone with SilverSprints.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I was going to use star specs (205) would I still use 15x9's? Seems excessive for that size tire. I know the kooks will be faster when its hot, but Wisconsin has such a broad temp range the star specs seem like they would be more flexible.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
If I was going to use star specs (205) would I still use 15x9's? Seems excessive for that size tire. I know the kooks will be faster when its hot, but Wisconsin has such a broad temp range the star specs seem like they would be more flexible.
I think the 9" is past the point of diminishing returns for a 205. If you were to run the 205, It's my opinion that the 8" should be sufficient. (And it fits easier, making for an easier dual-purpose car)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You match the section width of the tire to your rim width, 205/50/15 star specs have a 8.4" section width so I'd recommend a 8" wheel.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&tireMake=Dunlop
I think that would a good combo since your right that the star specs have the widest range of operating temp and have very good feedback/consistency. I've contacted a local Spinwerkes dealer to see if they can make 17x9s with 4x100 in the Series 82 wheel, mostly so I can run the star specs.

EDIT:
Spinwerkes said no go, they will eventually offer them, but not likely this season.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks for the tips! i had only started reading the STR thread and kept seeing 8's so I wasn't sure hehe

also, HUGE thanks for the link to the group buy!! i don't think i could get BC for any better of a price

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
thanks for the tips! i had only started reading the STR thread and kept seeing 8's so I wasn't sure hehe

also, HUGE thanks for the link to the group buy!! i don't think i could get BC for any better of a price
NP. These are in a totally different league than the BC's

1 - 20 of 196 Posts