MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '03 that I'm autocrossing in ES right now, but after I'm done fooling around with the hairdressers class in a few years, I'm wanting to start taking it to the tracks around here. What are options for track only single and double adjustable coil overs right now? I've never known much about tuning, so I'm a little out of the loop on what is quality. I've heard that Penske, Ohlin, Bilstein are all the top dogs for shocks, but I know they cost more than Konis. I just don't know by how much. But I've also seen that off the shelf coil over options for the MRS are limited and not that good, unless I'm missing something. I found a threat from 11 years ago that had good info in it, but I've wondered what else has come out since then.

Anyone have any idea about this stuff?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anyone have any idea about this stuff?
Nice, I plan to autocross later this month in the MR-S, and it has some track experience when it was on the OEM suspension. Given your list of the top dogs, I can tell you that I haven't seen any Bilstein or Penske coilovers for this car, and Ohlins are damn near unobtainium at this point. I did a lot of hunting for mine (Ohlins) and still paid a good amount (~$3200) for something with about a year's worth of wear.

I've seen people recommend getting BC Coilovers and swapping the internals with Bilstein's. If I would've given up on the Ohlins, I probably would've gone KW ver. 3, as I've heard good things about the ride quality. Techno Pro Spirits even has their own version of the KW, the fan in me would fork over the extra money no problem. It's all about your budget, and knowing you were looking at the top makes me excited to see what you end up going with.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice, I plan to autocross later this month in the MR-S, and it has some track experience when it was on the OEM suspension. Given your list of the top dogs, I can tell you that I haven't seen any Bilstein or Penske coilovers for this car, and Ohlins are damn near unobtainium at this point. I did a lot of hunting for mine (Ohlins) and still paid a good amount (~$3200) for something with about a year's worth of wear.

I've seen people recommend getting BC Coilovers and swapping the internals with Bilstein's. If I would've given up on the Ohlins, I probably would've gone KW ver. 3, as I've heard good things about the ride quality. Techno Pro Spirits even has their own version of the KW, the fan in me would fork over the extra money no problem. It's all about your budget, and knowing you were looking at the top makes me excited to see what you end up going with.

Best of luck.
Yea, I figured since those companies didn't offer off the shelf coil overs I'd have to go custom built somewhere. I just wasn't sure if people were getting the shocks, springs, and outer sleeves/camber plates all separately and putting these together themselves somehow, or if there were a few companies out there that may already do that. I'm also wondering if it may be cheaper to just get cheaper shocks and have them rebuilt with custom specs, or just order cheaper shocks direct from the manufacturer with the difference internal specs. I'm "new" to the tuning scene, honestly. When I was younger, I was into it and was a lot more into the scene and culture of building your car, and then I got into karts and just focused on the racing world for a while. I never had to worry about what different parts for cars do because karts were just so simple and barebones. I'm trying to catch back up to that knowledge now that my body just can't handle the constant abuse that karts do to you over a weekend and season, lol. I'm in the planning stage right now for the car, though. Since the car's got everything done to it that the ES rules allow, I'm just enjoying the car where it's at and eventually move on to the next step with the car in a few years after I figure out what upgrades I want to make.

I've been reading about the KW coilovers and I've known about Techno Pro Spirits for a really long time now, I just wasn't ever sure if they're really up to spec for hard track use. This is eventually going to be a dedicated time attack car, so I'm looking for something that will provide really good and consistent control and linear adjustability through it's range that isn't compromised for street comfort.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yea, I figured since those companies didn't offer off the shelf coil overs I'd have to go custom built somewhere.
Also as a heads up, as I was talking to an Ohlins guy based in SoCal, it seemed that it's too big a task even if you're going to have a Road & Track custom set. I asked him to inquire and basically he never got back to me. Something about the way this car's suspension is built really irks the makers of even custom sets, I remember the guy being almost angry when talking about the way the rear set would have to be made.

To be honest, I'm a couple years in and still feel pretty new to it all. Thankfully, people here are really helpful and knowledgeable, and I'm sure they'll also chime in. It's good that you're doing this all ahead of time too, so you can make the right choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't heard of them before. This company? Do you use them on track?

Also as a heads up, as I was talking to an Ohlins guy based in SoCal, it seemed that it's too big a task even if you're going to have a Road & Track custom set. I asked him to inquire and basically he never got back to me. Something about the way this car's suspension is built really irks the makers of even custom sets, I remember the guy being almost angry when talking about the way the rear set would have to be made.

To be honest, I'm a couple years in and still feel pretty new to it all. Thankfully, people here are really helpful and knowledgeable, and I'm sure they'll also chime in. It's good that you're doing this all ahead of time too, so you can make the right choice.
Oh.....that was an Ohlins rep that ghosted you? That doesn't sound good. Are there basically no custom suspension builders out there? And yea, I figured I've finally got an end goal for where I want to be and I'm at a spot where I'm not going to be modifying the car for at least a year because it's built to spec for the class right now. My goal is to go to nats with it at least a few times and see how well I can do. If I end up somehow winning first time there (lmao, right...), the build would be moved up sooner, but I'm expecting that it will take at least a year or two to start challenging for that spot. In the meantime, I figured I'd slowly plan the build and bookmark all the parts that I want to order and save all my cash that would be going to parts this whole time so it'll be a faster process when it's time to start entering credit card numbers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh.....that was an Ohlins rep that ghosted you? That doesn't sound good. Are there basically no custom suspension builders out there?
I called him back after a couple of weeks and guess he didn't have the heart to tell me it wasn't going to work. On YouTube, he's "The Ohlins Guy" and back in the day worked with Lotus, so he was the person recommended by Ohlins to talk to if in SoCal. Don't think he's directly affiliated with them though, so it's kind of weird. Probably has easier ways to make money, so he was helpful with information, but all the sourcing and whatnot was left up to me. You might have luck going other routes, but I lucked out and eventually found a set via an auction.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I haven't heard of them before. This company? Do you use them on track?
Yes, that's them. I have the track setup, but I daily drive my car. I've done some informal autocrossing, but no actual track days yet as I still don't have a rollbar.

The reason I got these is because heeltoehero has them on his car, which up until recently was used for both drifting and grip racing. He's been pounding on these same coilovers for a few years without any kind of trouble. I was duly impressed and ordered them right away. The price was right, they came quickly and they have endured several road trips in excess of 5000 miles each.

They make a solid product. They are not Chinese, I feel it's important to point that out - they build them at their factory in Taiwan when you order them, so approximately 2-3 week turnaround.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
BCs would be ok with the right spring rates and left at the middle setting. Not sure how good the adjustment is. Would be enough to get you out on track. Probably the same as anything else out of Taiwan

KWs are good but softly sprung for the track (3/5kg iirc).

Tein monoflex are good if you can find a distributor.

I've been looking at Fortune Auto but I need to save some pennies. Doesn't hurt to support an American company,
and they're off the shelf.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
You might want to ask this question in the AutoX section. You might want to read what others are using there.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
I called him back after a couple of weeks and guess he didn't have the heart to tell me it wasn't going to work. On YouTube, he's "The Ohlins Guy" and back in the day worked with Lotus, so he was the person recommended by Ohlins to talk to if in SoCal. Don't think he's directly affiliated with them though, so it's kind of weird. Probably has easier ways to make money, so he was helpful with information, but all the sourcing and whatnot was left up to me. You might have luck going other routes, but I lucked out and eventually found a set via an auction.
Ohlins USA does not support the spyder. You would need to contact ohlins Japan directly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How much do you want to spend? The options vary based on your answer. For example, you can get Penske or JRZ which would be the best option for high end, motorsport focused dampers. But they're anywhere from $5-15k depending on what options you choose. Typically 2-3 way adjustable with remote reservoirs and need attention after every season.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ohlins USA does not support the spyder. You would need to contact ohlins Japan directly.
Wait, Ohlins Japan will make a bolt-on coil over set for the MR2 Spyder? Do they do custom valving and spring rates? Any idea what kind of springs they run, too? I found another thread where he was able to get some Ohlins for $2200!

:UPDATE: I kept reading the thread and found that you posted in the thread that they aren't real Ohlins, but a knock off company that Ohlins licensed their name to. Wouldn't they have some sort of standardization on the parts they use and assembly method, though? If they're still good with regards to how performance, consistency, reliability, and serviceability, I'll most likely still end up getting them. Any idea what the differences between those and "real" Ohlins?

Also, I found yet another thread where you mentioned you've personally dyno'd various shocks. Do you have any opinions about just calling up ProParts and asking them to custom valve/spring a set of BC Racing coilovers? I've heard that they essentially have Bilstein internals, so I'm wondering if quality oil and valving specs would bring something like a BCR coilover up to the level of an actual set of Bilsteins or an Ohlin. Any input on that side of things?

How much do you want to spend? The options vary based on your answer. For example, you can get Penske or JRZ which would be the best option for high end, motorsport focused dampers. But they're anywhere from $5-15k depending on what options you choose. Typically 2-3 way adjustable with remote reservoirs and need attention after every season.
I was expecting for a solid set of mid-top level monotube coilovers that wouldn't have any issues with fade, I figured a budget of around $2500-$5000 would be applicable. Do double adjustables cost that much?

·
Registered
364 Posts
S3 Suspension is what I have. I discussed my plans for my car and he worked with me to get the valving just right along with a set of Swift Springs that matched the valving. I know others (TougeTime, Mico, etc) who also have S3 and they track their cars harder than I do. Let Kevin know Simon with the silver 2ZZ MR sent ya. You can find him on Instagram @S3Suspension not sure on the other links. I have his # but not sure he wants me handing it out on the net haha

·
Registered
125 Posts
S3 Suspension is what I have. I discussed my plans for my car and he worked with me to get the valving just right along with a set of Swift Springs that matched the valving. I know others (TougeTime, Mico, etc) who also have S3 and they track their cars harder than I do. Let Kevin know Simon with the silver 2ZZ MR sent ya. You can find him on Instagram @S3Suspension not sure on the other links. I have his # but not sure he wants me handing it out on the net haha
I was going to try them out. I sent a pm on Instagram about ordering a set, but never got a response.
I ended getting a set of fortune autos on black friday.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
Wait, Ohlins Japan will make a bolt-on coil over set for the MR2 Spyder? Do they do custom valving and spring rates? Any idea what kind of springs they run, too? I found another thread where he was able to get some Ohlins for $2200!

:UPDATE: I kept reading the thread and found that you posted in the thread that they aren't real Ohlins, but a knock off company that Ohlins licensed their name to. Wouldn't they have some sort of standardization on the parts they use and assembly method, though? If they're still good with regards to how performance, consistency, reliability, and serviceability, I'll most likely still end up getting them. Any idea what the differences between those and "real" Ohlins?

Also, I found yet another thread where you mentioned you've personally dyno'd various shocks. Do you have any opinions about just calling up ProParts and asking them to custom valve/spring a set of BC Racing coilovers? I've heard that they essentially have Bilstein internals, so I'm wondering if quality oil and valving specs would bring something like a BCR coilover up to the level of an actual set of Bilsteins or an Ohlin. Any input on that side of things?

I was expecting for a solid set of mid-top level monotube coilovers that wouldn't have any issues with fade, I figured a budget of around $2500-$5000 would be applicable. Do double adjustables cost that much?
Ohlins japan are real ohlins but old technology. They use the PCV single adjustable ohlins inverted shocks. You would need to talk to them directly for customs spring rates. Still better quality than 90% of the stuff out their. They are expensive.

BC does not have bilstein internal. They just use 46mm pistons on some of their shocks so you can replace them with bilstein Cobb pistons. I doubt anyone will do this for you because they wont be able to warranty them. It's also a lot of work. They are also not inverted.

You can order a set of Tein monosport coilovers and have Tein USA valve them and install any spring rate you want. They are also inverted with camber plates.

Any series track suspension for a strut car is inverted monotube. In the past both AST and KW built custom sets for customers. The KW set was an inverted monotube with roller bearing sleeves and cost $7000. AST built a short run of about 10 sets.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was going to try them out. I sent a pm on Instagram about ordering a set, but never got a response.
I ended getting a set of fortune autos on black friday.
I waited a while for my set. Worth it IMO. Kevin is basically a one-man operation. Hope your Fortune Autos worked out well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Jrz is about 4-5k for 2 way adjustable. I have a contact in Japan but haven't found out about the Ennepetal E12's. Last time I inquired i believe I had to mail them struts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts