MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thus far I have four:

1. On rare occasion, I have hesitation shifting from first to second - it has happened maybe 4 times in 2-1/2 years, and it goes away on its own. I haven't identified a cause yet, but it wouldn't shock me if it were DBW throttle-related. EDIT -- Sure is throttle body-related. Looks like it was having occasional trouble getting back to "closed" during upshifts. fixed.
  2. I used to have the issue of not being able to start the car if left in "S," but I seem to have worked that one out by cleaning and exercising the shift mechanism.
  3. I got in the habit of parking in "R" (See #2, above). Sometimes when I shift to "R" just before shut down it doesn't recognize the shift. I've learned to make a full stop at "N" first. Again, probably dirty or faulty switch contacts.
  4. My lock-out doesn't work -- turn the key in "R" or "S" and the car will lurch backward or forward. Not the least bit embarrassing.:rolleyes: I haven't bothered troubleshooting, but this is clearly an electrical/sensor issue.
What are your quirks?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Mine has performed flawlessly for the last 3 years. Which actually seems a bit quirky seeing as how I keep reading about other people having problems.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just how slow it upshifts but my lightwheight flywheel and the TB mod will help that in January :D

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Mine has performed flawlessly for the last 3 years. Which actually seems a bit quirky seeing as how I keep reading about other people having problems.

What he said. But 4 years in my case. I am very happy with this technology but I reserve the right to change my mind if/when the pump seal starts to leak. And I really don't think I can upshift much faster manually. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I can definitely shift quicker. Granted, I can also break transmissions like nobody's business.

No quirks for me though. Coming up on 70k miles. 40k with the TB mod.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Had ecu problems and limped it to mr.t whilst grinding all gears and everynow and then 2nd grinds in high revs while hesitating. have to replace 2nd gear now...

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
All SMTs are not created equal. I respectfully request that posters specify the model year of their Spyder. Mine is a 2004 SMT.

I sometimes wonder if the '04 and '05 models have a different TCU than earlier models. It really works well for me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
All SMTs are not created equal. I respectfully request that posters specify the model year of their Spyder. Mine is a 2004 SMT.

I sometimes wonder if the '04 and '05 models have a different TCU than earlier models. It really works well for me.
I surely hope that is the case after hearing of all the problems with the SMT.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thus far I have four:

1. On rare occasion, I have hesitation shifting from first to second - it has happened maybe 4 times in 2-1/2 years, and it goes away on its own. I haven't identified a cause yet, but it wouldn't shock me if it were DBW throttle-related.
  2. I used to have the issue of not being able to start the car if left in "S," but I seem to have worked that one out by cleaning and exercising the shift mechanism.
  3. I got in the habit of parking in "R" (See #2, above). Sometimes when I shift to "R" just before shut down it doesn't recognize the shift. I've learned to make a full stop at "N" first. Again, probably dirty or faulty switch contacts.
  4. My lock-out doesn't work -- turn the key in "R" or "S" and the car will lurch backward or forward. Not the least bit embarrassing.:rolleyes: I haven't bothered troubleshooting, but this is clearly an electrical/sensor issue.
What are your quirks?
Well I have your issue #one 100% of the time, it annoys me to no end.

The next one you will find funny, I have to start my car with a screwdriver 100% of the time (by using it to make contact between two points on the starter relay)

The third one only seems to happen in colder weather, You're accelerating in first gear and all of a suddem BAM it slips into neutral and the revs skyrocket (na it's not a slipping clutch).

We suspect the TCU is stuffed, so we're just going to do a SMT to manual conversion when the parts arrive to avoid future headache.

I have a 2000 5spd.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We suspect the TCU is stuffed, so we're just going to do a SMT to manual conversion when the parts arrive to avoid future headache.
Funny, I have 99% of the parts for an SMT-to-Manual conversion sitting here.....

My guess is the TCU/TCM gets the blame way too often, usually an embedded device either works or doesn't work. Again a guess, but I'd bet that 90% of all "we swapped the TCU and my problems were solved" cases really ended up being solved because a TCU swap initiates a full re-learn.
There are a couple of contact switches and a half-dozen sensors involved... one missed signal from the throttle sensor and you'll get hesitation between gears.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, of the 4 troubles I listed, #1 is the only one that bothers me in the least... and that seems to happen at a rate of once every 8 months or so. Overall I'm a happy camper with the SMT.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Funny, I have 99% of the parts for an SMT-to-Manual conversion sitting here.....
Well that would have been handy to know before you sold me the red hartop :mad:

I've already got half the parts here and the other half on order from 1sttoyotaparts

We have investigated the TPS and tried the relearn. However, you're right, too little is known about the SMT and its complexities. Not a happy camper though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My SMT is an '03, and I haven't had (yet) any of the issues that seem to plague those with the "00-'02 version(s). The shifting is a little stiff on start up, but once warmed up, smooth as silk. No ECU goblins to date. I'm now going out to the garage to knock on a large 2x4.....

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I dont own an SMT but have driven one. Only thing i wish was different would be if it could click or something to confirm that its going into a gear. If im having to shift a gear i would like some kind of feel to let me know its going in.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interestingly enough, three of the four issues I listed all came down to one problem: dirt.
Dirty switch contacts and a dirty throttle body. I haven't tried to go after the lack of lockout problem yet, but it's also a sensor issue.

·
Registered
781 Posts
When I turn my car on, it won't go into reverse for 15-20 seconds. It just sits there beeping, and then goes when it is ready.

Other than that, I am the original owner of my 2003 SMT. It had 2 miles on it when I saw it on the showroom floor.

At 1200 miles, the computer failed, and was replaced as well as transmission internals. Toyota had the car for 6 weeks, but replaced everything related and other than the above complaint, it is great. I don't miss my clutch sitting in Bay Area traffic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts