Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Leave it in primer, looks aren't everything

Votes: 5 8.3%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have arguably the ugliest Spyder in North America. The car is not worth much (to others), with crappy paint I couldn't give it away. But it's only one broken bolt from 100% mechanically, and has low miles, so I plan on keeping it at least another 3 or 4 years.
Currently half primer, half Green Mica. I've been finishing up the bodywork, as soon as I tackle the ill-fitting passenger door it'll be nice and straight and ready for paint. It'll get a new coat of epoxy primer to seal everything, then some high-build 2K primer.
And then.... what color should I paint?

Choices:
1. Green Mica (stock color). Easiest, by far. The practical choice.

2. Flat black. The rat rod look. It could look cool, but that's a very unforgiving color. Plus I worry about longevity, even with a matte clear. And I'd have to be meticulous about the non-exterior painted surfaces.

3. Alien green kandy coat. From "cow" to "wow." It's also finicky and impossible to panel match if there is ever accident damage

Current car pic:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
With those choices you are bent towards I'd propose:
e) Green Mica + extra mica flakes + good clear coat

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Stick with factory green. We don't have enough green Spyders in NJ as it is :cool:

Plus, as you had indicated, it'll be much easier to match if there's a chip or any paint damage. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the non US spec green color or its equivalent.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I went through the same line of thinking with my 2ZZ car. I knew I was going to paint it, I wanted it to be perfect again. I wanted something different and unique, I figured if I was going to drop some coin I wanted some change. I seriously considered flat black at the time--and I think it would look awesome flat black with gloss black wheels and accents--or red wheels and accents, or neon green, or yellow, or orange--kind of GT3'd out if you will. I think this could look incredible if done well, but it is a bit of a risky move.

My friend who owns a body shop talked me into the matte pearl white paint--I'm glad he did, since it is a Florida car it fits. But I would love to see a well-executed flat black Spyder:)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Oh, and it needs a hardtop:) I know where you can get one:) And this is the perfect time to paint match...

·
Registered
782 Posts
With those choices you are bent towards I'd propose:
e) Green Mica + extra mica flakes + good clear coat
I agree too!! Saw a pic of one in flat black and it didn`t look good.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stick with factory green. We don't have enough green Spyders in NJ as it is :cool:

Plus, as you had indicated, it'll be much easier to match if there's a chip or any paint damage. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the non US spec green color or its equivalent.
You saw this car. I'd kill for just chip or paint damage. ;)

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I'd love to see a spyder painted signal green (the porsche gt3 color). I say go for bright green.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Cammo that sucker. You could do that yourself.
LOL.

On the other end of the non-comformist spectrum: Last week I saw a chrome dipped Ferrari. A girl walking past said out loud to her friend: "he must be *great* in bed".

My opinion is flat black is a muscle car look (from 1940's to 1982). The only time it looks great otherwise is on a large body with sharp curves, like I saw on a black Pantera (the result was a non-cheesy stealth fighter craft look).

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Why not orange with some decals on the side ? Oh wait, that was popular some time ago, when some movie came out.....:lol: The same goes for matte black, it has been done, it was popular for a while, and it will look outdated if you do it now.

I don't care much for the bright green also (and other people didn't either, almost no bright green Spyders we're sold here..)

The only sound color you have here, is your stock green.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.