MR2 SpyderChat banner

3541 - 3560 of 3596 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
I really like that USB port in the dash. I was thinking about doing something like that in the center console. Looks great!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Same, way cleaner looking than having the cable come up from the 12v and interfering with things.

I washed and detailed my car while prepping another for the San Mateo concourse this weekend

·
Registered
169 Posts
bought new tires
i had shitty toyo proxes all season on when i bought it, and had to replace...
got a good deal on direzza dz102 195 fronts, 205 rear. on the 15s.
not sure what i think of them off the first impression, they almost seem darty, but on teh flip to that, they hold corners very nice- higher limit than most people will do on a public road (or should)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trashed my cat-backs!

First I want to thank Old Man for his very helpful post of many years ago: it sure made this process simple. Since I needed to install new O2 sensors, I figured I might as well take care of the cat-backs. Thankfully they were in much better shape than expected; job done in 30 minutes. Awaiting delivery of new gaskets and O2 sensors to put it back together, but will probably paint the manifold while I'm waiting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
O2 sensors changed

Changed the O2 sensors because of code P0051. I changed both sensors even though only 1 was bad. I figured the other one might go out any time now so might as well. I think i also found the old post referenced above. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, also less than 30 minute job.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I swapped out my oem header for an ebay for the second time. Now my exhuast manifold history is something like this: stock, ebay manzo, ppe, stock and now chebay.
I was throwing the lean codes and my car wouldn't rev past 5k rpm. I was afraid my oem catafold was preforming evil spells on my engine again (this is the second engine, toyota did the first free). All my studs were toasted especially the three amigos. I've been in here plently of times, I actually did this in the dark the night before and inspecti-cleaned everything in the morning. My catalysts looked like cotton candy on ayuhuasca, definitely clogged, hope they did(n't?) send too much down south into the second cat. My exhaust ports and valves look like they been singing old smokey, thus the gasket looks like it is blow out number #3 port. The rest of the crap exhaust pipes aren't leaking but it appeared that atleast one of my O2 sensors were loose and one of the amigos disbanded.
I replaced all the studs and nuts and bathed them in antisneeze for the next time. A couple reasons I see the engine could be running lean here.
Next I looked at my intake, I like to blow out my vatozone filter every blue moon. That's a problem because this thing was dirty front and back, it's only good for holding spark plugs now. Unfortunately I can throw a rock at the dealership from my house but I prefer bottle rockets so I went to Carquest. Carqueef has been cheaper lately and they are closer than Vatozoned. Got new plugs, pcv, exhaust bangles and some fuel injector seals. I cleaned my maf, I don't have that fancy spray stuff just electrical cleaner and my eyes. I had to spray the crap out of it and keep looking as one of them little wires was tarred and feathered. The whole intake piping post maf and box were filthy even to my low standards. Some of the rubber and hard plastic materials are finally giving due to age, even the heat shrink material is brittle. I keep eye balling the low mile 03 harness and 2zz sitting in same room with me.... My Maf sensor gasket is swollen, it wouldn't go back without popping out, I found a temp replacement in my box. Seems like my old pcv valve is harder to shake. Plenty more reasons my car could be running lean.

After my evening siesta I changed out the spark plugs and took the car on a test drive, everything felt flawless. The old iridium plugs had a bit a white soot on the ground. I hope this dtc non-sense passes, she barely drinks any oil!

I went digging through my spare abs and pvc fittings and found something perfect to make a Maf mod. 1" Male adapter Slip x MIPT PVC sch40 probably cost like 50 cents. It's almost perfect, you hacksaw the out the hex and 1/4 of the thread. Then you file the thread till it fits in the Maf port flush. Next you cut out a notch in the ID for the heater element on the Maf and work the ID slightly at the same time. Next you take a 1" hole saw and work the shouldered portion of the slip fitting down about 1/8". Verify your notch still lines up and it fits the ID of the Maf sensor. From here just shave the hex portion down from .26" to .245 (allow room for your gasket). You can make this by hand faster than a printer can spooge one out. The hex portion is beneficial to the alignment of the Maf between the screw posts in a weird coincidental way.
IMG_3499.jpg IMG_3500.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
3 weeks ago the continental extreme contact sports went on the front.
2weeks ago I started the obx header install and finished it last weekend.
Today Stoptech pads went on all round to accompany the better gripping tires.
Maybe tomorrow I will do the shifter bushings at the trans.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ball bearing shift cable bearings went in at the trans.
Notchier. Will drive for a week and provide updated review.
Changed one of my serpentine belt idlers (tensioner) and as Murphy has it, the other one needs changing.
Ordering parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Spyder only:
test installed my amateur armrest, not happy with the huge piece of Velcro hooks it came with, so gonna cut it and have a smaller footprint.
test fit "a better sun visor" v1. Not happy with the aluminum arm, will be replacing it with steel so it doesn't bend as easily. Not super happy where I tapped into my strike plate, so gonna re-tap closer to the windshield. Still playing around with a bracket that can be installed between the strike plate and the A pillar.

all cars:
ordered new air filters
tossed baking soda, coffee grounds and carbon into them to remove the smoke smell.
Rinsed off the ash and applied a layer of meguires x-press spray wax to protect the clearcoats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the middle of my 2zzswap c60 trans will not line up im thinking i may have the wrong clutch. Lots of fun so far everything has moved nicely along except for this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
New Koyo Front Wheel Bearing Hubs and ARP wheel studs plus new Raybestos brake lines/generic-cheap Rock Auto rotors. My '03 MRS has 183k miles and the original Koyos were rust baked to the kunckles!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I...contemplated retrofitting some sort of cabin air filter into the car's HVAC system either on the outlet side or inlet side. wondered to myself while sitting in my car after sundown if pc casemodding filter foam could be fastened behind the outlet of each vent to be a filter or if i could possibly track down where the outside intake for cabin air and interior intake for cabin air are to try it that way. Sneezed sitting in the interior of the car when turning on the air.

that and i replaced a few instrument panel lights experimenting with different LED styles to see what illuminated the gauge cluster the best. I think i've settled on a general setup of 10x 3-SMD led's (one axial, two on the sides of the PCB ) for the T5 socket bulbs in the gauge cluster, 2x 3-smd led's for the t4.7 sockets in the HVAC with some chrome vinyl in a few particular spots on the little plastic bracket inside the HVAC to aid in directing light, aaaand a 28-31mm 12-smd LED map/dome light. when i get picture posting permissions, i'll post those pictures of the evenly LED-lit gauge cluster. -kinda frustrated though with the limitations even though i know it's pretty standard practice in forums-

~Refi

·
Registered
302 Posts
Since I parked my car last in Nov it hasn’t moved. I moved it and took a 4 block drive because a hawk was perched above my new black vinyl top trying to make it white.

I just started buying the parts to get this car to be my daily driver. I’m gonna wash it Sunday or Saturday if I have time after errands and mowing.

What does this have to do with what I did to my car today? Today my MR2 is my only fun car. I sold my 3 series to focus on the MR2. I’m going to put a few hours per week into it until it’s right.

3541 - 3560 of 3596 Posts
About this Discussion
3.6K Replies
448 Participants
marsrock7
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing