MR2 SpyderChat banner

3581 - 3596 of 3596 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Removed the front bumper, both headlamps and started removing the tail lamps from my blown motor project.
Updating the front end and just getting ready to pull the motor&trans from the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New owner here and I just put some new wheels on 🤓
SSR SP1 on some federal evoluzion st1s 215/45 all around. Little bit of poke on the fronts but some negative camber should fix that
16x7.5 +39
16x8 +32

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cap's MAF mod. Backside of motor dirtier than my mind. Some...slight mishaps along the way. Couldn't get the old seals out (only had a dental pick handy, and it was far too long) so now of course there's hard starting because everything is leaking. Still, first time working with a non-carburated fuel system and despite the spilling amount being considerably more than expected, nothing big enough to smell after plenty of high-RPM excursions on scorching-hot days.

Boy that's a miracle mod. The gripes about fuel cut weirdnesses when lifting at ~3500 just means that now there's pop & crackle at ~2500 and ~3500 (and, eventually, a backfire) from that ridiculous exhaust setup. This means people tailgate me way less on the new commute, so win/win.

Some weekend when it's not 90 out I'll go back in with a mirror and a shorter pick and get those ()@()*# seals out and put the new ones in.

Next big project--MWR cruise control installed. I have a ~6 hour one way trip to make in early August, so it'd be nice to have that done before then. See--90 degree weekends.

·
Registered
25 Posts
MWR cruise control installed except the handbrake switch. Got plenty tired of pulling the seats and being upside down in the parking lot in 90 degree weather. Works flawlessly out of the box. Still have to get the airbag out of the wheel to properly mount the module but apart from that it's all good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
C'mon, isn't anybody still working on stuff?

C's short shifter replica installed, cage cut (with the wrong tools, at great length), heavy-ass aspirational six-speed knob in place. Some lithium grease in there, a whole lot more sprayed TriFlow. Changed out old brass no-grease-left shifter cable bushings for CRW PFTE spherical and the proper lithium stuff.. Had to extensively file the lower one even after completely cleaning the ring -- just a few thousandths but enough to be a nuisance. Old ones were held in with snap rings, which were hurled far away with extreme prejudice. Have the replacement for the square brass shift fork bushing but....not this time. Hit everything with lots of silicone spray lube while I was back there. Shifting is WAY improved from the rubbery wobbly approximational grinding it used to be. Reverse still requires a solid shove and first requires, every now and again, more force than usual after a run up and down. Probably the brass bushing.

....Some other weekend.

Put in the Knobmeister visor blockoffs, installed the "have you hugged a curve today" license plate frame, hit all the exterior trim and frunk stuff with Meguiar's Ultimate Black Whatever, which does a pretty good job for a few weeks. Having the surround would be nice but not $400 of nice. Thorough rinse/soap/rinse/prewax/wax/detailer spray last weekend, fun without a hose and only buckets of water to the parking lot. Wheels still disasters of peeling paint, that shit's sharp.

Yellow injectors are leaking, causing hard starting. Had the dealership R&R the new seals...a steal for an hour of labor, even if it took them a week (during which time I had a loaner Camry hybrid...nice transport pod, radar cruise control is beautiful.). No dice, still problematic. Will probably have to take back in because having them do it beats the hell out of me having to do it and buying more injectors piecemeal. Smelling fuel and seeing a solid 5 mpg decrease ain't great.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Injectors also. Swapped in a different set of yellows on my 2ZZ and my fuel trims at idle have gone from -20 to -5 now. Exhaust smells normal again too, guess this proves I did have (a) leaking injector(s).

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's strange to hear that fuel leaking out of the injectors (thus meaning less gets actually used than planned) would cause a more NEGATIVE fuel trim. I was under the impression that this would've translated to a positive fuel trim.

Installed the PPE intake. It's audible mostly at idle and extremely low revs, past that I really don't hear a difference until 4k. The throttle response is UNREAL. Thought it was quick before, this is now approaching what's heard from bikes in lower gears. Midrange torque just keeps picking up. Steering is practically telepathic; now speed is too.

For those intrepid souls combining the MAF mod with an aftermarket (proper) CAI -- I'm using the McMaster-Carr washer and the same (at least 2) leaking injectors with the PPE intake and observe that my LTFTs are IDENTICAL to the configuration with said washer and the factory airbox, and those LTFTs are around -15 at highway speeds.

This is a datum that to my knowledge has not been previously enumerated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
In my case I believe the injector(s) at fault were leaking into the engine, not like a bad injector seal would let fuel out of the system altogether. I suspect it was just one leaking heavily, causing the ECU to lean out the rest to make the composite fuel trim correct.

Today I also swapped out my Cobb/amsoil intake for an eBay special. 76mm Chinesium MAF pipe and no name dry filter. Reset the ECU so it can relearn trims. Now I can finally play with MAF spacers and different injector sizes to see if a 2ZZ MAF mod is possible. With the Cobb I think the vanes kept the airflow too laminar. Spacing had nearly no discernable effect on fuel trims.

3581 - 3596 of 3596 Posts
About this Discussion
3.6K Replies
448 Participants
marsrock7
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing