MR2 SpyderChat banner
3741 - 3760 of 3792 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Has anyone considered drilling a few small holes in the sheetmetal back there? That was my idea for a quick fix to avoid changing my soft top...hammer a cone shape in the holes to convince the water to fall through. I get damp carpet under the driver's seat when I drive or park in the rain and will try it next time I'm working back there.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Has anyone considered drilling a few small holes in the sheetmetal back there? That was my idea for a quick fix to avoid changing my soft top...hammer a cone shape in the holes to convince the water to fall through. I get damp carpet under the driver's seat when I drive or park in the rain and will try it next time I'm working back there.
Is your issue ripped vinyl drains like above or clogged drain outlets? I have been in plenty of monsoons without issue, except for when I first got the car & it had clogged drain outlets.

·
Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
732 Posts
I'm really not sure how the gas tanks are there, but I'd make damn sure and not drill blindly. Also dunno frame wise.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is your issue ripped vinyl drains like above or clogged drain outlets? I have been in plenty of monsoons without issue, except for when I first got the car & it had clogged drain outlets.
I'm not sure. I tried cleaning out the drains before leaving it outside spring/early summer but it was pretty clean. I just put on some gloves and reached back there blindly with a brush in hand, swept out a little debris...poured some water where the drain is and watched it come out the holes on the side. There were no signs of moisture after light rain, but enough for concern after heavy rain.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,143 Posts
Rummaged around for an alternator with a higher regulator set point to work better with my AG Lithium battery. Previous charging was 13.5 and now it seems a good 14.3v at idle. I had to float the battery for a while to get the charged voltage to match the alternator output so as not to fry the battery with too much current.

Oddly it seems like idle is more stable now.

·
Super Moderator
3,211 Posts
Welding up the holes from the roll bar installation:
Automotive tire Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Took a look at the sandwich plate adapter from MWR that lets me have my oil pressure and temp gauges
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design

Also took a look at the poly/vinyl/whatever inserts from MWR, front and rear
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

We are literally almost there. She will touch the ground tomorrow for the first time in about a month. The new gauges are all wired up, but the a-pillar hasn't been mounted up yet. There were some fitment issues but Ben at OTP is a bit of an artist and took his time with it.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
'03 MR2 5sp - Solar Yellow
33 Posts
[Small] Picked up the new retainers for tubing passing over the breastplate. Waited more than a month for them to arrive, and it seems that maybe one of the pieces which was formerly a C-style clamp is now also a U-style like the others. I had wanted a spare to have for one of the pieces; but they canceled that extra and refunded the money. When I picked up today, I asked about that, and was told there are typically something that there'd be more of. But, upon checking the stock numbers [88569-35120, 88718-17360, 88718-13010], he said I got the last of each in the country! Not sure if that means that more will come or these are added to the discontinued parts list? Seems like an opportunity for someone in the 3D print world to fabricate and churn out replacement bits. Having the tubing resting/rubbing on the breastplate directly seemed like a bad idea, so without them would need to figure out another solution.

As a bonus, they had a red Supra in the showroom, so I took the opportunity to breathe in some of that new car smell :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got my hardtop, cracked. I did a fair job of keeping down the decibel of profanity that spewed out upon opening the box and seeing the damage.
I had the breast plate from Phats to install but lost motivation at that point.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I got my hardtop, cracked. I did a fair job of keeping down the decibel of profanity that spewed out upon opening the box and seeing the damage.
I had the breast plate from Phats to install but lost motivation at that point.

Oh, man. That's terrible. Was that through Mike V.?

I'm sure you probably have already, but definitely get in touch with your shipper/supplier.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Kind of just.. stared at 'em. Side-eyed the parts pile growing in the spare room.

But I have found a little middle ground for once. Going to wrap the 2003 in about a week or two and see if I can live with it - I've always wanted a facelift Spyder in a darker color.

If I really still can't shake 3P0, guess I'll shuck the '00 and go '05 hunting.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
OMG - activity!

Swapped the spoiler(ed) engine lid on the 2000 for one I'd had repainted (that has an OEM spoiler). Had a mad-sad moment there (see my standalone! Also, help?!)

Was supposed to also install a DDPR lid prop at the same time but couldn't even put my mad-sad into it.

PDR guy came by to check the 2003 as part of wrap prep and said "this has a lot more dents than I was expecting." Will schedule a big 'ol time slot with him over the next few weeks (so the wrap is now delayed).

Identified a bunch of new dents and scratches on each car - new as in "within the last week." WTF, neighbors and/or landscaping crew?! Ugh. At least some will buff out and the PDR guy is really reasonable (and does stellar work). I miss having a garage and/or parking that isn't shared. (used to have a cursing emoji, didn't we??)

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,143 Posts
Well, this weekend was somewhat productive.

• I connected the exhaust diverter solenoid to the FIC-6 and programmed it to activate at a specific point I like.
  • Next I ripped out my Arduino controller and hooked my intercooler fans to the FIC-6 through another MD04 I had laying around. I then created a full 3D mapped fan speed table against engine load and RPM. So, the fan load is actually configured to help with idle stabilization. Kinda neat.
  • Pulled out all the heavy air to water intercooler hoses, radiator, tank pump etc....
  • Hooked up the rear defroster and generally cleaned up wiring and some vacuum hose routing.
  • Identified two boost leaks.
  • Angrily looked at my intercooler piping and the shipping information for a tap I need to move my IAT and meth injector.
  • Attempted to install a vynil wrap in a 15°F garage...... don't do this.

3741 - 3760 of 3792 Posts