MR2 SpyderChat banner
3761 - 3780 of 3792 Posts

·
Registered
'03 MR2 5sp - Solar Yellow
33 Posts
Prep for Spring. When I parked for the winter having done exterior cleaning, noticed dirt build up in rear flaps in front of wheels. Concerned for the comments of rockers being problem areas, wanted to check things out, and make sure no rust starting from the inside. Removed the fender liners and removed a bunch of dirt build up, and washed inside that area. Driver side much worse that passenger. Not sure if it's typical, but I can tell that the liner leaves some comparatively large gaps on driver side and surprised by how much gunk (dirt clumps, tiny stone, etc.) was in there that I vacuumed out. Fortunately didn't see any rust, so happy about that. Will just keep an eye on this for future build up.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Finally... Got the water spots from the recent "rain" off.

View attachment 88211
Silver was so much easier to "keep clean" than black...even after short trips on dry dirt roads it would shine. Between the scratches, water marks, & rock chips black paint is such a double edged sword!

·
Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
732 Posts
Silver was so much easier to "keep clean" than black...even after short trips on dry dirt roads it would shine. Between the scratches, water marks, & rock chips black paint is such a double edged sword!
It really is... My other car is silver. Even with it having paint fade and clear going it still looks better. I had a black car previously and vowed to never get another black one. Fast forward to buying the mr2... Lol.

Don't forget being hot af during summer too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since the cost of fuel is outrageous these days, the Spider is my daily driver now. In the last three weeks I have replaced all four struts, performed an alignment, replaced the fuel fill check valve/grommet, and fixed some clear coat. Did all of this for less than three weeks worth of fuel cost in the truck.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Decided to redo my headlights. I did them a few years ago but the UV sealant came out a bit janky & I was never too happy with it. First washed them with Simple Green, clay barred, then buffed with Mothers mag & aluminum polish using a 3" pad on a drill. Washed again, rinsed, dried, & sealed with using Sylvania's UV protecting kit. I must say I'm blown away by the results. My Spyder headlights has some noticeable yellowing but not too bad. I simultaneously did my Saab as well. Those headlights looked like a frosted glass window. After finishing the only defects left are the ones inside the lens....which I can now see.

I also did the Spyder's taillights & 3rd brake light. Not sure how long the Sylvania coating will last...most sources I've seen say approx 1 yr which isn't too bad considering the cost & how easy it is to apply. The mother's mag slung all over the place but I'll be claying & buffing/polishing the entire car in the next couple of days so I didn't do anything other than some painter's tape just around the edges. If I was just doing the headlights some drop cloth/plastic/newspaper taped to the car would've been the move to keep it all clean.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Went seek & destroy on rattles today...I took off my door cards, made sure the Dynamite was spread evenly,, put a little more Dynamat on an upper area I had previously left bare, then outlined the door car contact with foam. It is incredibly improved as far as rattles, especially with the speakers on fairly loud. I also put some foam stripping behind th wind deflector (& tightened those torx screws), as well as put a double layer behind the rear cubby doors. It makes it a little tough to close the doors so I haven't decided in I want to keep that long term or not but the difference in plastics no longer buzzing is impressive. 10/10 would recommend foam tape around the door cards.

Reactions: hardmode and Node

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,143 Posts
Finally received some new intercooler couplers. Fabricated a new compressor outlet pipe and intercooler cold pipe to move my intercooler closer to the engine. Added a new meth injector just prior to the throttle body. Found my MD04 that was running the intercooler fans decided to flip it's direction control. So the fans were on blow instead of suck. That explains the high knock values I saw for the last couple days. Updated my target AFR table, intercooler fan control table and meth injection table. The car pulls like crazy now. Makes boost instantly. Maybe a little too fast the AFR shows leaner in 1st gear so I think the meth pump can't keep up with the flow rate change.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Well, that will cure rattles - permanently
Autocorrect slipped that one by me, but now the FBI is at my door so I have to get going. . .

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Threw some more vinyl patches on my soft top today as well as reinforced the rear window with a large external piece of vinyl. Aesthetics leave lots to be desired but the top should have been done for 3 yrs ago at this point so for ~$50 bucks in materials I'll take it.

I also clayed, compounded & polished the car. I had done it once before with decent but not great results. At that time I had erred on the side of caution using Meguiars ultimate compound & polish which only removed mild to moderate scratches. This time I went all in with Meguiars 105 on an aggressive pad, then the compound, polish, & sealed with Ultima Paint guard Plus.

All I can say is wow. I have a ton of rock chips & heavy paint defects through to the base coat....those aside (mainly the front bumper cover), the finish couldn't be better. I'm completely blown away by how good it looks...and this was with a $30 Black & Decker orbital polisher "converted" for hook & loop pads. I'm sure I'm going to demolish the paint again driving it cross country to Cali which is unfortunate. Black just looks so good when there's no scratches & its just a dark mirror finish staring back at you.

Reactions: hardmode

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,143 Posts
Bought some R Comps and PRF1s. Hope the 15x7 et35 on the front is not going to screw the scrub radius too much. I would hate to do anything to numb the responsiveness of the chassis.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Super Moderator
3,212 Posts
I'm going to demolish the paint again driving it cross country to Cali
Drove mine out there twice in one year. Broke both fog lights on the first trip. Broke the new fog lights on the second trip.

Had to pull the accessories off to be able to lift it out of the car lol.
But... you got it IN the car with all the accessories on? It's amazing how much stuff you can haul with the passenger seat out.

3761 - 3780 of 3792 Posts