MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have this bump in my rear bumper upper grille. It looks like there is a metal bar pushing up on it but it doesn't seem like the bumper is sagging.

Should I bend the metal bar? has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
526 Posts
there is no "metal bar" that would be poking into your bumper cover. the bumper is metal & rectangular in shape, but is a tad lower & runs horizontal.:huh: i would check that black plastic rear grille insert to make sure its seated propperly & not pushing or pulling on the bumper cover causing it to take a wierd shape. if thats not your culprit, then take the bumper off & check things out. its easy- 5 snaps up top, one screw in each wheel well, 2 in each lower corner & a few more in taillight areas..... note- taillights must come off before bumper (2 screws each).

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
there is no "metal bar" that would be poking into your bumper cover.
There ARE two support support bars that the bottom of the vent rests on. If one is causing that, then something is wrong. Either the bar is bent, or the bumper isn't aligned correctly. Seeing that you have no emblems on the back...it starts to look like your car was in an accident. I'd remove it and take a look when you can.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There ARE two support support bars that the bottom of the vent rests on. If one is causing that, then something is wrong. Either the bar is bent, or the bumper isn't aligned correctly. Seeing that you have no emblems on the back...it starts to look like your car was in an accident. I'd remove it and take a look when you can.
good call. much better advice. i didnt the two supports actually had contact with the grille/bumper cover. ive had my bumper cover off many times & didnt realize...... you sir are on point.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure at one point or another this car got hit, but from what I see, it is very minor. I did take it off just to take a peak at it when I first got it but didn't touch anything (didn't want to mess anything up).

I had the same problem back in the day, just remove the 2 bars and it will fix it self after a few hot runs.
What is the purpose of the two bars, extra reinforcement? Are there any disadvantages of removing the bars?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update, I took the bumper off, removed the bars and bent it a bit. Now, I think there is enough clearance between the bar and the bumper. We'll see once the heat comes in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts