• not high enough offer

Votes: 4 36.4%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning mr2 friends.

I have been approached and asked to sell my 2001 mr2 base model 1.8 manual with black interior but am not sure what it is worth anymore which is why I am asking you what you all think is fair?

210,000 miles, motor burns a quart and half between oil changes but is and does run smooth for last 4 years and has new coils, plugs, and wires and does not leak anything. aftermarket exhaust (that is loud and obnoxious), aftermarket wheels, short throw shifter but otherwise 100% stock car. the trans is starting to experience what feels like a synchro issue in 3rd gear and is 3700 to get it replaced with used one here. seats have a bit of ware hence the covers, paint is faded on rear but no body damage or rust (was a Texas car). the top is ripping around the back window and will need to be replaced at some point but water does not leak into the car at all.

I have driven it for 4 years constantly including winter in Illinois and has been great but not interested in investing in the trans or motor work. was offered 2500 cash but I know they are getting harder to find...

thoughts??

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just a quick search on kbb listed around $1,300-$3,700 based on the mileage. But yours has a laundry list of problems and a whole lot of mileage.

If no real attachments to it. Ask for $3k and let it go.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Ignore KBB, useless for this car (and many others). You have a roller....$2500 is not a terrible offer tbh.Theres no way the trans fix costs $3700....a new trans would cost less & a used engine/trans together can probably be found for under $2k fairly easily.

However, even if you swapped in a working motor & trans... if you pay for someone else's labor you're not likely to break much above even (if at all) due to the mileage. Rollers typically go for $2-$3k (pre-pandemic price) but a roller that needs a top, paint work, worn seats...I'd say take the cash & run...IMHO they are offering yoy too much already. Also, take off the luggage rack & sell that separately...those are also harder to find so you all a decent percent to your total sale earnings.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If someone offer me $2,500 for that car. I'd tell them to spread their arms, make like a kite, and f*ck off. That some low ball offer for a running car. Granted it does have some problems.

Start negotiating @ $3k OP.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Burning 1.5qt of oil between changes is not a running car. Its a smoking carcass. Then add i. Trans, top, paint, seats, overall mileage & its all downhil fast. You need to be realistic

Reactions: pwnzor

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Looks like KBB's range is pretty close , this car will be close to the lower price . So I'd give 2k and not anymore .... so 2.5k reasonable . It's a money loser anyway you look at it ....

·
Registered
122 Posts
While not perfect, it IS a running car.

These are covid times and nothing makes sense anymore. Gone are the old days of cheap used cars. The $3k clunkers are sitting around $7-9k in my area and others alike.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If someone offer me $2,500 for that car. I'd tell them to spread their arms, make like a kite, and f*ck off. That some low ball offer for a running car. Granted it does have some problems.

Start negotiating @ $3k OP.
Engine is toast as we know 00-01 oil burning will extrapolate as the cylinders go more out of round. 1.5 quarts is already a huge amount and is probably an underestimate.
Trans is toast . . . as well as the Top which is another high dollar item. Paint looks like crap, too.

Even someone doing all of the swap labor themselves could barely break even on this car when all said and done. I think the person being told to “_ off” should be the gentlemen expecting more than $2500 for this car.

I’m aware the used car market is hot right now, but when pristine Spyder’s are sub <$9k nobody is going to put $9k into a roller unless they have a very specific end goal in mind. Like widebody K swap or etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
From OPs post, looks like he wants to get rid of the car and along with its problems. Vehicle sold as is and whatever the potential buyer wants to do with it it's their business.

Also there is no such thing as sub $9k prestine Spyders anymore. Maybe if you get lucky. Have a look at Bring A Trailer/Cars&Bids. Those enthusiast auction sites are driving up the prices on these niche cars.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There are sub $9k spyders. Find a PFL with 200k+ miles. Thats a sub $9k car all day.

Then take that car, give it a blown engine, trans, soft top & peeling clear coat...and its a $2k roller. $2.5k is overpaying, but since its the seller thats asking I advise take the money and run. No one else will be dumb enough to offer over $2k. This is the same as a car without an engine or trans, and then more defects on top of that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
From OPs post, looks like he wants to get rid of the car and along with its problems. Vehicle sold as is and whatever the potential buyer wants to do with it it's their business.

Also there is no such thing as sub $9k prestine Spyders anymore. Maybe if you get lucky. Have a look at Bring A Trailer/Cars&Bids. Those enthusiast auction sites are driving up the prices on these niche cars.
I will admit “pristine” was a poor choice of words on my part but since Spyder’s are so old I would imply an example with no major mechanical or visual issues, no rebuilt title, etc which is what I meant. Obviously a cream puff will be over $10k but there are perfectly serviceable examples under $9k and I’ve found this one within seconds which seems fine to me at first glance. And a much better buy than $3k for a Spyder that needs >$5k in work.

IF he can get $3k or more for it obviously he should because a fool and his money are soon parted. But my 2 cents is he should jump all over that $2500 offer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it depends partially on the buyer and their goals for the car...I'd negotiate from there. If you want to get rid of it, let it go to someone who wants to work on it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Your car is very sought after since it’s a stick. If you’re going to sell it try to sell it as much as you can.

If you broke it down in parts you probably make over 10 K

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Thats basically a parts car.

2000-2002 $1500 to $3000.

2003-2005 $3000 to $5000

For poor condition high mileage cars that need restoration.

Most high mileage at this point are basically parts cars. Good engine and transmissions are now hard to find and cost as much as a whole spyder parts car.

Tops, weatherstripping, seats, carpet, headlights, paint are all now in need of repair or replacement.

Excellent condition cars are up there in price. Poor condition cars are now parts cars.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
One qt of oil per 2,000 miles is not considered bad by Toyota and will not smoke. It will leave a bit of soot at the tail pipe area and the inside of the tail pipe will be black. That is more oil than I like being burned. Personally I would not be interested in purchasing a car in the condition as listed. If I had it sitting around and not being driven that offer would be accepted.

Parting out a car takes time and effort and there doesn't seem to be much that is good on it. The major components are worthless. Then at some point there are the remains to be dealt with.

IMHO either sell it or decide to do major work and keep it or just let it slowly die and junk it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts