MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not have the Toyota handheld analyzer, only one that works on every OTHER car. Why did Toyota do that? (not really the question at hand)

I flushed out the 90 gear lube that I had filled the shifter hydraulics with, yes I am the one. After 4 flushings I get the following situation:

I can drive the car for some distance, but when I come to a red light stop, many times I can not get it back into gear. If I turn off everything, wait and then open the door, it starts and usually goes into gear.

When I am driving, downshift for a corner, then sometimes it will no longer up shift.

I can hear the pump going on and off about every 5 seconds for about 3 seconds while cruising. Did I break a seal in the pump? Nothing leaks onto the engine nor the ground.

At least I get to drive it some. It is my HAPPY THERAPY.

So, what is the entire procedure for retraining?

HELP

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
So, what is the entire procedure for retraining?
Keep some yummy snacks in your pocket for positive reinforcement, and wack it with a rolled-up news paper when it misbehaves.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You may have some oil still fouling up the system. Simply running the hpu with good stuff may not be enough to flush it since you basically have to bleed the oil out of the system instead of just having the new fluid mix a good bit with old fluid.

I would suggest parking the car in "S", disconnecting the return hose (the red one if memory serves right, it will be the quick connect that's is reversed from the other two) at the quick connects and getting an allen wrench to push on the retention ball while someone turns the key from off to on waiting about 10 seconds between. After pushing a reservoir worth of fluid I would then have them keep the key in on and repetitively switch up and down on the selector until you push another good amount of fluid out. This should hopefully flush the hpu, the select solenoid, the shift solenoid and any fluid in the clutch release cylinder.

Just be prepared for a mess.

This of course will make the ecu probably freak the hell out, you'll need to clear the codes afterwards. Run the car at least a couple of times after the codes are cleared (make sure to turn the it off in between rides) and if it's still is acting up the codes it has after the rides should be good. You can get and clear the codes with any obd2 reader (the toyota one just has the feature to initiate a full relearn). If your reader isn't obd2 most chain part stores these days have borrowing program for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the method to really flush out the old stuff. I am getting the fluid from Metro Toyota (www.toyotapart.com) and they are shipping it UPS.

I am hoping that I did not blow a seal because of the way the pump runs for about 3 seconds and then stops for 5 seconds, and repeats continuously while driving.

I will do the flush a couple of time and then see if there are persistent problems.

Hey xbiker, I thought you said to use Skittles...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another Question

Is there a way to get the HPU to release pressure so that the reservoir level will read correctly?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
you have to do it in techstream, no on-board method I know of except for waiting a few hours.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is there a way to get the HPU to release pressure so that the reservoir level will read correctly?
You can in the morning check the level without opening the drivers door so the pump don't start. Just leave the hood open over night and you don't have to open the drivers door.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Just a guess, but if your pump cycles on and off, your accumulator is not holding pressure. Some seal is leaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts