MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking to put on some emblems on the engine cover, any suggestion to what kind of adhesive I should use that can withstand heat heat and not permanent? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
On my new cf valve cover thing, I took off the insulation strip form the stock cover and use permatex to attach it to the underside of the cf cover no problems. You might be able to use some silicone adhesive. I think you can get some to got to 450ish degrees F.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind of "emblems"
Like the kind for the rear bumper or front bumper with 3m adhesive backing, but kinda feel it won't stay on due to the heat...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my new cf valve cover thing, I took off the insulation strip form the stock cover and use permatex to attach it to the underside of the cf cover no problems. You might be able to use some silicone adhesive. I think you can get some to got to 450ish degrees F.
That sounds good, what kind of permatex did you use? can I use the same one to attach the emblems?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
That sounds good, what kind of permatex did you use? can I use the same one to attach the emblems?
My under-lid insulation was falling down and blocking air flow through the vents.
I used Permatex WeatherStrip Adhesive to glue it back in place.
It has worked quite well, but the stuff is maddeningly messy to use.
(Gooey, Stringy, Gets onto everything (like graphite) and won't come off)

·
Registered
544 Posts
My under-lid insulation was falling down and blocking air flow through the vents.
I used Permatex WeatherStrip Adhesive to glue it back in place.
It has worked quite well, but the stuff is maddeningly messy to use.
(Gooey, Stringy, Gets onto everything (like graphite) and won't come off)
I had the same problem with my insulation, too. After cleaning the metal with nail polish remover I used Gorilla glue,(white). It's only been a couple of weeks but so far so good.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
i covered the cowboy hat on my engine cover. the flat piece of plastic that i used wasn't heat resistant enough so i replaced it with a piece of aluminium painted flat black with high temp paint. i used silicone sealant to affix it with.
initially i had the MR2 emblem from the rear bumper cover on it . then i removed that and glued on an aluminium screamin' chicken:cool: it's worked fine now for a couple of years

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i covered the cowboy hat on my engine cover. the flat piece of plastic that i used wasn't heat resistant enough so i replaced it with a piece of aluminium painted flat black with high temp paint. i used silicone sealant to affix it with.
initially i had the MR2 emblem from the rear bumper cover on it . then i removed that and glued on an aluminium screamin' chicken:cool: it's worked fine now for a couple of years
So common plastic emblem won't be able to withstand the engine heat right:(? which silicone sealant did you use?

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
OPPS!...................i lied...but not on purpose ...no chicken just a replica in Al of the "MR" logo

oh yes! the adhesive..."Permatex black silcone adhesive sealant"-not advertised as heat resistant, but it is somewhat flexible and weather resistant and it's worked for at least 2 years

my engine runs a little hotter than stock...turbo etc etc blah blah woof woof

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how's the high temp spray paint working out for you? I'm thinking spray paint the plastic emblem, you think it will help to fight the heat?
btw, what's the temp I'd have to look for? 400F?

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
i'm using Rustoleum Engine Enamel [flat black], it's rated to 500*F.....no signs of failure and it's been at least a couple of years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts