MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of threads discussing tires from a performance/handling point of view. Like the title says, I'm just wondering what kind of mileage people typically get out of a set of tires so post up your tire specs and mileage. Also, if you have a square setup let us know if you rotate your tires.

I'll start this up best i can but I've had the car for only 10 months/10k miles now. I'm running Kumho ecsta ASX all season tires (front = 195/55/15, rear = 205/50/15) with 5.5k miles on them.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Hankook RS3's 225/45R15 all around. I rotate, but I don't pay attention to the schedule - if they're off the car, then I move them around the car.

First set = ~14,000 mi + 120 Autocross runs
Second set = ~7000 mi + 80 Autocross runs and counting

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had the square set up but I didn't like the way the car handled. I've been driving the car for almost a year with about 8,000 miles on the back tires and I will drive them until someone tells me I need a new set. I'm simple like that. :wub:

·
Banned
415 Posts
It would depend on the wear ratings. Meaning, different for each tires.
It also depend on driving style.
So, it will be all over the place.
Not sure what you're trying to get out of it, but it's kind of pointless to ask.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
8 1/2 years ownership. 91,000 miles driven. Avg = 7500 miles per set of tires. I did manage to get 12k miles out of my current fronts and they are nearly bald, but the rears last about a year, maybe slightly longer. Staggered unidirectional setup with various brands so there's no rotating. Tire wear is predictable since I drive EXACTLY the same route day after day. MPG figures are also quite predictable.

Proper inflation and alignments, but I believe I'm extremely hard on tires due to incessantly fast cornering and takeoffs since I drive the quickest/fastest colored Spyder (Solar Yellow).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would depend on the wear ratings. Meaning, different for each tires.
It also depend on driving style.
So, it will be all over the place.
Not sure what you're trying to get out of it, but it's kind of pointless to ask.
Wear ratings - people are posting their tire model
Driving style - subjective at best, but people are posting if they autocross

People have been helpful in including the above in their responses. All in all that makes it pretty easy to spot a trend and estimate what kind of mileage most people get out of a set of tires. Not an exact science, but far from pointless.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
these are pretty meaningless numbers unless you are looking within the same brand

for example the 040s are rated 140 whereas the T1R were 240. The 040s lasted longer.
Agreed, each brand sets the "scale" for their tread ratings so it's only helpful to compare to people running the same brand of tire. Now if only someone else was running Kumhos....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Toyo T1S's first set & second set T1R's 205/50/15 fronts & 225/50/15 rears.
The first set (T1S's)I had to replace the rear tires at abot 20K then replaced the whole set about 15-20k later with the T1R's.I then got a job much closer and cut my daily drive by approx 35 miles .The T1R's dry rotted in the florida sun after about 3 years and 5k milage but still had good tread.I have just replaced with the Yokama S types.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Falken FK 452
UTQG wear rating 300
205/40ZR17 front, 215/40ZR17 rear
Running 34/32 PSI front/rear due to reinforced sidewalls

Have aprox. 11k on them and tread is about 50% I expect at 15-20K will be maximum mileage for these. Wear is even so far thanks to constantly checking tire pressure and having the alignment checked every year. Spirited driving on the twisted roads, no track time. Stock suspension.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got about 30,000 on my original stock re040's. I did about 3 or 4 autocross events on them and other than that it's just my daily driver. No rotations since my wheels are different sizes. They were getting pretty bald at the end of their life but still had some tread left.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am happy to get 15k out of any set of tires. For me buying tires is usually a yearly thing for any car I own. Here is the strange part well for me atleast. Econo tires with "high" tread ratings of say 300, last the same length of time as extreme tires for me. What happens is the econo tires have soft sidewalls and they end up rolling over. My daily drive consist of a 10 mile section of 120 turns and bends.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like most people get 20-25k on a given set. As for front vs rear, only one reply mentioned the front tires lasting about twice as long. Of those sporting a square setup, it seems Spyder owners don't bother to rotate tires. (and yes I realize unidirectional treads would only allow front to rear rotation). I guess we spend that time obsessing over the precats, 2zz swaps, and soft top ears :)

Also seems like a lot of people are running S Drives, now that I acquired a second set of wheels I might have to look into those as a cheaper summer tire. I'm definitely in the minority running Kumhos (especially all seasons) but I can't get away with summer tires on a DD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like most people get 20-25k on a given set. As for front vs rear, only one reply mentioned the front tires lasting about twice as long. Of those sporting a square setup, it seems Spyder owners don't bother to rotate tires. (and yes I realize unidirectional treads would only allow front to rear rotation). I guess we spend that time obsessing over the precats, 2zz swaps, and soft top ears :)

Also seems like a lot of people are running S Drives, now that I acquired a second set of wheels I might have to look into those as a cheaper summer tire. I'm definitely in the minority running Kumhos (especially all seasons) but I can't get away with summer tires on a DD
I like my Kuhmos a lot. I have the new X4 all season and it feels a lot safer in down poors. Today, I was in a heavy rain and the car tracked great going through deep puddles at 60 miles an hour. That when all season tires give me more peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.