MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

As of 2 days ago I am a proud and happy owner of a 2zz swapped MR2 Spyder with 6 speed transmission from Corolla TS. Car is an absolute blast to drive. But it bothers me that it has an open differential, so here's my question - what LSD can I buy for this car? Generally prefer to stay away from plate type LSDs, unless it becomes the only option

EDIT: also Im located in EU so prefer not to source one from US or Japan if possible

·
Registered
581 Posts
OEM Toyota helical. Should be able to find a used one fairly cheap. They retail ~$400 USD here and many come from euro parts cars.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
You don't want the 6 speeds that already have the LSD. Almost all of them have longer gearing that makes the car slower and drops the engine out of lift on shifts.

If you want to maintain acceleration and performance then you want a C60 or C64 with an LSD installed in it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You might be able to find a quaife on your side of the pond. Dont be afraid to look for used transmissions from Elises

·
Registered
170 Posts
Used Quaife is unfindable for sale in Europe.
The only option is to buy an LSD from an MR2 Roadster in UK.

Send message to RogueMotorSport in UK. As they run in MR2 Championship in UK, they have some gearbox and LSD.
I bought their refurbished C64 Corolla TS gearbox with an MR2 Roadster LSD installed.

Currently there are 3 MR2 Roadster LSD for sale in Ebay.co.uk.
Capture d’écran (60).png

·
Registered
927 Posts
The JDM C64 is the one we are talking about that sometimes has a LSD. Same gearing as the C60 in a USDM Celica except actually a shorter 6th.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your replies

Used Quaife is unfindable for sale in Europe.
The only option is to buy an LSD from an MR2 Roadster in UK.

Send message to RogueMotorSport in UK. As they run in MR2 Championship in UK, they have some gearbox and LSD.
I bought their refurbished C64 Corolla TS gearbox with an MR2 Roadster LSD installed.

Currently there are 3 MR2 Roadster LSD for sale in Ebay.co.uk.
View attachment 77451
So these 3 will all work? I was told by a previous owner that they would prevent the Lift from activating, and since he's had the car for 7 years I kind of wanted to believe him. I apologize if Im asking stupid questions but im completely new to Toyota, only had experience with BMWs before.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes they all work. I don't have 2ZZ swap, but have experimented with and without LSD :
  • without is definitely saffer. Basically, if one wheel loose grip, in most case, nothing happend.
  • with LSD, if one wheel is spinning, the LSD is transfering some power from the traction wheel to the loosing traction wheel.
In straight line, the rear will sliding lightly from right to left. It seem dangerous on steering wheel, but from exterior view, it's barely detectable.
It's more dangerous if you loose rear grip in curve.

If you loose rear grip, never release fully gaz pedal. In better way, stay to the same gaz pedal pressure or release it just a little bit.
While releasing a little bit the gaz pedal, you will help the rear tire to grip earlier than if you stay full throttle.

From a STOP, imagine a 90° curve. Start straight (~3500 rpm), turn to 45° and full throttle. LSD will engaging.
You should react quickly while keeping the 45° other degree with full throttle while keeping the Spyder straight.
You will notice that there is no much steering wheel correction than expected, because the LSD help the rear tire to "turn".
Experiment how the LSD is engaging and practicing the feel. You will know how to react if it happend in unexpected case.

In France, the Spyder is sold with factory LSD. Alot of "beginner" crashed they Spyder. I really think that's because they don't know what to do with an LSD.
The LSD feel is like driving on oil surface. A sentation that make your primar instinct to release pedal gas, witch is not what to do. Especially with rear engine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I was building my trans I seem to remember all 1-5 oem gear ratios in all C6x transmissions being same. The only ratio differences are with 6th gear and final drive. I received a C60 with tall 6th and OEM Helical LSD. There is no way to know for sure if it was an OEM install but it didn't look like someone had been in this transmission before. I'd have to go back and look at my notes but I think there were some updates in the gear set designs probably around the same time the 2zz went DBW or maybe earlier. I got an early 2000s design and replaced all the updated part numbers with the latest revisions. That required a few hours of P/N cross referencing so if there were different 1-5 applications I'm sure that would have come up even if it's not widely known on the forums. This is getting a bit off topic here since this is a specific LSD question but I'm reading about different variants here so I think some clarity is important. Edit: This is strictly US an JDM but there may be some other ratios available in other markets. I gave up looking into that because those parts are very rare and hard to get here in the US. Replacing parts for anything other than the standard gear ratios would be difficult, maybe impossible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts