MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start doing oil changes on my moms car. This way It hopefully saves her a few bucks or cost about the same as a jiffy lube change but with a better quality oil.

Car: 2005 Lexus rx 300 V6 75k miles.. 5w30 recommended via oil cap. Previous oil changes have been done at local Toyota dealership..

MY QUESTION: assuming Toyota used cheap conventional oil) Can I just switch it to a synthetic?? Like Castrol or Mobil1.. Should I do a 50/50 mixture for this one? Or should I just stick with the cheapest oil money can buy because after all, it's not my car!:lol:

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Go ahead and switch to synthetic. Euro Castrol Syntec 0W30, or Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. Syntec is about $8 per can.
Agreed and I would also make mention that to get a good economical benefit perform extended oil changes for this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Not to thread drift, but would it be a good idea to use a 'high mileage' oil for a car with >75K on the odometer? I ask only because my wife's CTS has 96,000 miles on it, burns just a little oil (say 1 qt. per 4000-5000 miles) and I've been using M1 5W-30 EP since new. I'm getting the oil changed tomorrow along with some other maintenance items like plugs and belts, and I bought the M1 5-30 high mileage oil. I do (actually I get it done) the oil changes every 7,000 miles or so.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Not to thread drift, but would it be a good idea to use a 'high mileage' oil for a car with >75K on the odometer? I ask only because my wife's CTS has 96,000 miles on it, burns just a little oil (say 1 qt. per 4000-5000 miles) and I've been using M1 5W-30 EP since new. I'm getting the oil changed tomorrow along with some other maintenance items like plugs and belts, and I bought the M1 5-30 high mileage oil. I do (actually I get it done) the oil changes every 7,000 miles or so.

I appreciate the help.

There are two things I hate most about oil and that is high millage oils and semi synthetic oil. My biggest pet peeve is when people talk about their oil as being full synthetic as if you had different grades of synthetic. Ether it is synthetic or it's not period, simi is only 10% synthetic and the rest is clever marketing for Joe stupid.

In regard to high millage oils it is more or less marketing however they do change the formulation a bit to help with seals. Seal issues only arise if you have them.

A good quality synthetic oil will have an ester component that helps keep seals clean and in good health. There is no need for any kind of specialty oil.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Lexus dealers are suppose to use Mobil1. I forgot what type its been a while since I owned my IS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts