MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im just weighing the option of having someone just throw in a 2zz for me. Does anyone know whos doing them these days. Is littlerocket still in the business of 2zz swaps??

also im curious of the prices too. I know i could just do it myself but I just truly havent had the time.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hey guys im just weighing the option of having someone just throw in a 2zz for me. Does anyone know whos doing them these days. Is littlerocket still in the business of 2zz swaps??

also im curious of the prices too. I know i could just do it myself but I just truly havent had the time.
We do them here in Sealy - about 25 miles from LR's old place (not sure if he still lives there or not). I had an agreement with him to take over the swap business when he decided to stop doing it the first time. Then I think he did a few more, and now I *think* he stopped again but you would have to ask him yourself, we haven't talked in a long while.

We also do full N/A builds, turbos, S/Cs, tuning, suspension, etc. Pretty much anything really.

For trans and engine swap labor is about $1K. Keep your old trans and its around $800 or so. (we charge $65 / hour for mechanical labor and we are very proficient with MR2s and Celicas so it doesn't take very long). Engine and trans cost is determined by your desires and market costs (low miles / high miles, Celica source or Lotus, etc)

Parts cost if you do everything (header, harness, select shaft, mount, dipstick and reverse lockout) gets up around $1K - $1200 depending on who you buy from. (we can beat pretty much anyone's price - being out in the country where land is cheap and plentiful has its benefits)

You can check us out at our website www.ddperformanceresearch.com or

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We do them here in Sealy - about 25 miles from LR's old place (not sure if he still lives there or not). I had an agreement with him to take over the swap business when he decided to stop doing it the first time. Then I think he did a few more, and now I *think* he stopped again but you would have to ask him yourself, we haven't talked in a long while.

We also do full N/A builds, turbos, S/Cs, tuning, suspension, etc. Pretty much anything really.

For trans and engine swap labor is about $1K. Keep your old trans and its around $800 or so. (we charge $65 / hour for mechanical labor and we are very proficient with MR2s and Celicas so it doesn't take very long). Engine and trans cost is determined by your desires and market costs (low miles / high miles, Celica source or Lotus, etc)

Parts cost if you do everything (header, harness, select shaft, mount, dipstick and reverse lockout) gets up around $1K - $1200 depending on who you buy from. (we can beat pretty much anyone's price - being out in the country where land is cheap and plentiful has its benefits)

You can check us out at our website www.ddperformanceresearch.com or
you guys sound good to me. so this wont be till i get my tax return which will hopefully be in about a month. What do you think it will run me for everything including the 6 speed tranny. a small ball park estimate should be fine. you can PM me if you want.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What are your engine requirements? Do you need low miles, or is a higher mileage one acceptable? It makes a huge difference as engines run anywhere from $1200 - $6000 asking depending on condition, miles, and if they came from a Lotus. Matrix / Corolla XRS and Vibe GT motors are generally a good choice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got the ability to do the swap here in FL if thats any closer.
Like Griffin said, price will vary depending on the engine's mileage and what parts are provided.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are your engine requirements? Do you need low miles, or is a higher mileage one acceptable? It makes a huge difference as engines run anywhere from $1200 - $6000 asking depending on condition, miles, and if they came from a Lotus. Matrix / Corolla XRS and Vibe GT motors are generally a good choice.
I mean id say 50000 miles would be good. I'm really not too picky. Eventually I want to turbo it a few months down the line.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I mean id say 50000 miles would be good. I'm really not too picky. Eventually I want to turbo it a few months down the line.
In that case you will probably be looking at close to $3K for engine and transmission. 50K motors are hard to find.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In that case you will probably be looking at close to $3K for engine and transmission. 50K motors are hard to find.
so if im hearning this right.

3k for a motor
1k for the labor
1k for parts???

around 5k altogether?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
so if im hearning this right.

3k for a motor
1k for the labor
1k for parts???

around 5k altogether?
Pretty much. There are lots of things you can do to raise (PFC & Tuning, midpipe, new clutch & flywheel, etc) or lower (keep your 5 speed trans, do direct wire instead of swap harness, go with a lower mileage motor, etc) the price. But $5K is going to be a pretty close ballpark for a basic swap with the criteria you provided.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
hey I know a new 1zz short block runs for about 2K from toyota. what is the cost for a new 2zz short block?

getting an old engine, rebuilding the head, smacking down on the new short block and then reselling the old short block (before or after a rebuild ) might give you the best of both worlds.

just an idea

2ZZ short blocks are about the same.

We actually do this pretty commonly for folks that want to go turbo, or ultra high HP NA. The heads are usually re-useable and the new bores are always round and straight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts