MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several people ask me about buying my car recently, so I figured I'd work out the value of my car and all its upgrades. I love my car, and I have no plans to get rid of it, but what would it take for me to let go?

KBB value for a 2005 w/100k miles in very good/excellent shape
$11000

Plus:

Exterior
Hardtop = $2500
Carbon fiber front + rear hoods (and stock front hood) = $500?
TRD style lip kit (genuine sides) = $400
LPx rear duckbill spoiler = $200ish
SSR Type-C 15x7 and 16x7.5 = $1200 ($600 tires arriving tomorrow)
Enkei RPF1 15x7 and 16x8 (extra set) = $600
3x BBS RC 17" (staggered but one broken) = $409

Suspension
Tein HA coilovers = $1000
Addco front sway bar w/upgraded end links
TRD strut tower bars = $300? $500?
Corky's BP = $200
Toms lower rear bracing = $???? (super rare?)

Engine bay
Euro 6-spd w/LSD = $2000
ACT Clutch + MWR Flywheel = $400
HKS exhaust $250
AEM/Injen intakes = $200? (AEM to pass smog, Injen preferred but not legal for 05)
Gutted precats

Interior
Celica seats
Gregg's armrest
Ralco short shifter
JDM Navpod + screen
No soft top

My upgrades list could probably hit $10,000. For me to let go of my car as-is, I'd want at least half of the upgrade money - maybe $17500 total. Probably not gonna happen, but if some rich guy walked up to me and offered me that much, I'd take it (and wonder why he didn't spend the extra 5k for a new 86 instead).

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've only put a little over 8k into mine including buying & mods and I honestly think you would need just about 6 figures to make me give it up right now (unless taking the money to buy and mod another spyder is allowed). Way too fun to drive, upkeep is cheap and easy. Call me crazy, but I simply love the car. I would however consider trading for a Hennessy Venom :lol:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
[/LIST]
...(and wonder why he didn't spend the extra 5k for a new 86 instead).
Spyder and 86 are not of the same species and after reading the threads here of people gushing over it, makes me wonder how many of you really 'get it'. Despite the Spyder being a low cost, part bins car it has magic. Sure, if you want a daily driver with a roof, buy that other thing and go play boy racer with it...

You obviously get it, to have built such a car. And you also understand on the market an untouched Spyder is way more valuable than a modded one. So I think you have your price point, at least the high side, correct. There is always the chance someone who wants that exact car will pay your asking price. I predict you will semi-retire the car when you need more practical wheels and hold on to it for 30 years :)

Oh - that rich guy - he wouldn't mess with a 86, he'd go straight to a Cayman S if he wanted a hardtop or to a new Boxster S if topless. The SMT argument goes away there too:
PDK > MT > SMT

·
Registered
977 Posts
put too much effort and work into mine to let go of it, and the thing is you can never expect to get back the money you have put into a car for mods

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
To give up my Spyder would require a divorce. My wife loves the car.

Like any "project" car, you can never get out of it what you put in. In fact, most modified cars bring less than an unmolested car. I never totaled what we put into our Spyder, but we don't care.

·
Registered
231 Posts
More than anyone would part with, money or otherwise.
Tho Life has bigger demands, as cars go. i like this one more than the rest in it's price range.
I'm afraid i'm in agreement that i would not let it go for any small amount. I respect it and enjoy it way too much. there isn't anything else like it for less than $50k (i'm thinking low-level used Lotus)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Pay off my loan it's all yours and with the multipile paid off car loans I would then have through the same bank I would go purchase an Elise with a low apr ^_^ ad drive everything I wish the Spyder was hahaha

So.. Anyone want to pay off my car??

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have two cars, and I'm working on selling or giving away most of my worldly possessions to make the biggest move of my life over to the west coast. I started blue booking both cars, thinking I would be able to get more for the Spyder than for a 2002 Accord. It turns out that (as previously alluded to) since I have modded my '2 and since it has some particular problems that need to be sorted out, it ironically makes more financial sense to sell the Accord and pare my life down to what fits in the Spyder. It'll still be leaking a little oil and have some clunking sounds in the suspension somewhere, but the money and my love for that little 1-ton hunk of steel (nevermind the Spyder community) dictate that I keep it. :wub:

I couldn't take less than $5K for the Spyder, which is reasonable blue book + mods cost. Apparently, it's an impossible asking price. *Shrug*

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a hail-damaged Accord? :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
What would it take for me to let it go? An upgrade. I would like a newer '04-'05 MT Spyder. (or an '04-up S2K). When I had my 86 MR2, kept it but upgraded to an '89SC. When that one was wrecked, I got a MKII NA, then a MKIIT. When the latter got to be non-cost-effective, I got an '03 Spyder. Then I decided to try the SMT so I got one from the same year. I have to move up and get one newer than an '03 and stick with MT.:lol:

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Quoted for truth. The people who don't get it bought the wrong car and by that I mean the Spyder is a convertible first.
Yup and then it handles great. Perfect combo since it is a Toyota. My lust cars are just not practicial enough for a daily driver.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
Quoted for truth. The people who don't get it bought the wrong car and by that I mean the Spyder is a convertible first.
I do not like convertibles but I love my MR2 Spyder HT. I would not have bought one without the hard top and do not care at all that the soft top was gutted when I bought it. I would not trade my 2000 for a 2013 FR-S straight up. However, if someone offered me a 2013 FR-S for free plus $8000 to mod the car I would have to consider it long and hard. Since that is not going to happen anytime soon I will be keeping my car for a long long time even if I do not really "get it".

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
People buy this car for different reasons. One of the most unique things about the MR2s compared to other cars with different generations is that they created three entirely different variants with the only thing in common is the mid-engine.

My motivation of buying the Spyder was not because it was an MR2, I was looking for a convertible sports car with great handling and I got just that. I have so much money and time in the Spyder and unlike many others who mod I got my moneys worth because I did not sell early.

The best analogy is buying premium tickets to an amusement park, waiting for the park to open and not leaving until they shut their doors.
It's the price of admission and if it places a smile on your face that is palpable then that is the real worth not how much it's worth as a physical asset.

So when the question is asked how much is your Spyder worth, it's obviously worth my time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My motivation of buying the Spyder was not because it was an MR2, I was looking for a convertible sports car with great handling and I got just that.
See for me, I purchased mine because it was an MR2 (plus I had owned an Mrs previously and loved it) I came from Mk2s and learned to love all the models as they were and what they offered.. If I had a bunch of toy money or even a place to keep them I'd own atleast one of each generation for sure

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was going through the replies checking off posts to quote, but I ended up quoting almost every post. Sounds like we're all in the same situation - we love what we have.

Leaving off the quotes and responding to post #s instead:
2. I heard scary things about Hennessey cars being VERY poorly built. Have to find the thread on it.
3/5/6/7. Yep, that's the point pretty much.
4. The truth. I do wonder how many 86 people are just zombie fanboys. But the car definitely has the potential. Driving it gives me the same exciting, grin-inducing feeling that I get from the MR2. I'm curious which car I would drive more often if I had both of them in my garage.
8-11. Responsibilities are probably at least part of why we drive an MR2 and not something more exotic, right? When I was looking at cars, the MR2 and S2K were both in my purchase price range, but the S2K insurance was double and I didn't want to pay for premium gas. Something like an Audi R8 would be out of range, but I honestly prefer having an underdog type of car instead. The MR2 fits the bill perfectly.
12. This is part of why I'm glad I have an 05. It's still got a decent bit of value, even though I've past the 100k mile mark. This is also why I'm glad I gutted the soft top - I can fit SO MUCH more stuff in my car.
13. I had an 86, and always wanted to upgrade to an 89SC. But I ended up skipping straight from the 86 to my 05. You can always upgrade to my car =p
13-16. When I bought this car, I never wanted a convertible. I wanted another MR2. I had 310k on my 86 MR2 when I sold it, and I wanted to replace it with something similar. Small, light, and nimble, even if impractical. Not necessarily powerful if somewhat economical. I loved the idea of an sw20 turbo, but decided I wanted to try a newer car so I skipped straight to a mk3. I am totally happy with that decision. After buying my car from Joe Schmoe all those years ago, I've done all the little things to make it exactly what I want. It's my perfect car.

I can only think of two replacements for my car: The exact same car in spectra mica blue (I never liked red), or some modified form of BRZ/FRS.

I do want to chat about the 86 a little bit. I feel like it really could replace the MR2 for me. I love the way it handles and how the cockpit feels. It's got a little more room for stuff, and I can even jam a passenger in the back. It actually feels like it needs less work than the MR2 did to get it where I want. It's the only other option from what I have now.

If someone gave me $18k-$20k for my car, I know exactly what I'd be doing: Quitting work, buying a cheap mk1, and finishing my college degree.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.