MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard there are small fitment issues?

I made up my mind and bought a Che dual lotus style muffler and anxiouslly waiting for it. I am gonna chop the tips and replace it with something I like.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
It's a pretty simple install.I would recommend removing the rear bumper cover.It makes it easier.Get new nuts,longer bolts and lock washers from a hardware store.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i also heard u have to take off the stock heatshield off the MAIN cat for the lotus style muffler to fit (assuming you have a stock downpipe).

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I hear with the newer version you don't have too.I have the older style and I had to remove mine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a pretty simple install.I would recommend removing the rear bumper cover.It makes it easier.Get new nuts,longer bolts and lock washers from a hardware store.
''Get new nuts,longer bolts and lock washers''

what size?

So if I have to take the stock cat heat sheild off that means no cover right? Or can I rig it somehow?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I don't remember the exact size bolts I used.If went to home depot and found bolts close to the stock bolt size but longer.The reason for the longer bolts was to replace the stock spring and bolt set up.If you have the newer version cat back you can leave the main cat shield alone.IMO it looks better without the heat shield.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
If you use a lift, you don't have to take the bumper off and it is very easy to adjust the alignment of the exhaust.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Pulling the stock muffler out of the bottom i had to undo the sway bar on one side. For putting it on, i would definitely pull off the bumper cover.. For mine i had to drill two holes into the rear bumber for a third exhaust hanger (off of the first canister).
My thread here should show you the fitment.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Try as I might, I was I not able to get all the attachment points lined up. In addition the exhaust gasket, cat to muffler was mangled. Therefore, I ultimately had to take mine to a shop. When I got mine it from the shop it was hitting the passanger frame support and would rattle horribly under acceleration. So I tweaked it a bit to clear the frame which made the exhaset off-center. I'm-in-San Fran recommeds bending the passanger side hanger with a wrench for better alignment and clearence. In the end it's much better. Looks and sound good, not to loud.
I forgot, use wd-40 or equivelent the day before on the bolts to help lossen them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts