MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching tons of posts on the 2zz swap and a 6 spd. What is the real draw to do this swap? HP? 6spd? I have two 01s and I want to play with one of them and keep the other rather in plain form. I want HP, to have fun, but I really want the 6spd for highway driving. Lots of swap posts, and not as many, but enough turbo posts .... as I undersatnd it, the 1zz has about 113hp at the wheel, whats the gain going to the 2zz? whats the pros and cons of this particular swap? being the 2zz/6spd? And what the best donor for something like this? I asume a turbo can be added later even if I do the 1 to 2zz ....

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
The Biggest 'Thing' about the 2ZZ, is it turns about 1/2 again faster than the 1ZZ, to get the added Hp.

I'm old and Slow.. Don't like things that have to turn that fast.. So I'm Staying with the Older ( Slower ) 1ZZ, and if I need. I'll turbo that..

It's a Preference thing..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i think the main draw is the extra power while staying NA. you can have an easy 170-200 hp with a good tune and basic bolt ons with a 2zz.

main differences? higher redline and the 2zz has what's called Lift. Imagine Vtec on the 1zz... that's the easiest way to explain it.

most people still recommend putting a snail(turbo) on the 1zz. it has more potential power wise for the price..

spend $4-5k for the engine swap to yield 170-200hp NA
or spend between $2-4K for a good turbokit and a tune to get about 225+/-

2zz because it is NA will be more reliable in the end, but a good turbo build can be very reliable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where cam I get a turbo kit for 2-4k? What one found, to do it right. It's gonna be an easy 5kand up.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
As someone who hasn't driven their 2zz yet, if I had to do it again I would just turbo the 1zz and put in springs cams and retainers to make it high reving. It's a better value for HP.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
As someone who hasn't driven their 2zz yet, if I had to do it again I would just turbo the 1zz and put in springs cams and retainers to make it high reving. It's a better value for HP.

So, I have to ask you Lexus...if you haven't driven it yet but knew of the 2zz downside (basically a 1zz until lift) WHY did you do it?

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
The 2zz nets you about a 40 HP increase, and a load of problems including but not limited to: coolant system that will mysteriously retain air pockets for a long, long time and questionably bad water pump. It's cheaper than a 1zz turbo. Reliability between the two can be debated all day. The 2zz sounds a hell of a lot better than the 1zz, and the switch over is designed to bring a 'turbo spool' sudden onslaught of power. If you buy a PPE exhaust and high flow cat, and use a stand alone or piggy back to tune, then you can enjoy even more horsepower and great sounds.

The monkey wrench kit is a good one, from what I heard it's not a bolt on ready to go kit as it was designed for the celica. Some minor mods have to be made (nothing major).
What kind of mods?

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well here's my $0.02 on my 2zz swap.

Power:
1zz better powerband for daily driving
2zz is great in lift but in traffic who is driving at 6k+?

Reliability:
1zz needs the pre cats gutted to help prevent engine failure
2zz needs the oil pump/pan replaced for hard driving.
Oil temps under hard load are an issue for both engines

Emissions/smog:
1zz with pre cats gutted = pass
2zz needs to be hidden from tester (here in CA) or pay to play test facility ;)
2zz can be c.a.r.b. certified but takes a decent amount of effort.

The 6 speed has been great on both engines.

If I would have it to do over again I would have mildly built a 1zz and been perfectly happy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I think I have decided to stay with the 1zz, and do a turbo, and add a six speed. now the question is, what kit to get for the turbo, best bang for the buck? I want a complete kit, or atleast to know what I need, and is mwr the only place to get a 6spd? Is there a donor car to look for for the trans?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
So, I have to ask you Lexus...if you haven't driven it yet but knew of the 2zz downside (basically a 1zz until lift) WHY did you do it?
My motor had 185k+. Even though it had no signs of injury, I didnt really want to put a turbo on it.

Well I think I have decided to stay with the 1zz, and do a turbo, and add a six speed. now the question is, what kit to get for the turbo, best bang for the buck? I want a complete kit, or atleast to know what I need, and is mwr the only place to get a 6spd? Is there a donor car to look for for the trans?
MWR puts down the TKs kit and TK puts down the MWRs kit. Either way I think you'll be happy. I would upgrade the turbo if you went with TKs kit though. Ive heard only good things from TKs customer service.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Well I think I have decided to stay with the 1zz, and do a turbo, and add a six speed. now the question is, what kit to get for the turbo, best bang for the buck? I want a complete kit, or at least to know what I need, and is mwr the only place to get a 6spd? Is there a donor car to look for for the trans?
Look around here, there are dozens of threads/posts about which 6 speed works, and check with some of the Toyota dealers that do a big internet business, chances are you can get the transmission new in a box for around $2K or so.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've been reading quite a bit about engine upgrade paths for the 1ZZ recently and am firmly in the 1ZZ-turbo camp (based purely on expense and power/torque curves - reliability is way too case-dependent).

These overlaid dyno plots produced by Modified magazine capture the differences between the 1ZZ-NA (grey, Spyder), 2ZZ-NA (orange, Elise), and 1ZZ-FI (red, Spyder). The difference is significant:

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
Look around here, there are dozens of threads/posts about which 6 speed works, and check with some of the Toyota dealers that do a big internet business, chances are you can get the transmission new in a box for around $2K or so.
You don't need the 6-speed with a turbo as much.. The extra torque likes the longer gears.

The 2zz needs the shorter 6speed gears to stay in lift.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
What's your objective? Where do you drive? Do you want low-end grunt or high-revving power? How important is the actual HP number to you? How long do you want to keep your engine? Need to be street-legal?

I can't think of anything I like about a 1ZZ over a 2ZZ, to be honest. But for driving to work in traffic, there ain't much difference.

For my money, the 2ZZ comes badly tuned from the factory. With minor tinkering and a stand-alone you can improve torque, high-end power and gas mileage. Must be a hydrocarbons thing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts