MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with an OBD reader or with an appropriate guage, whats your intake air temperature??

Mine is around 55degC when engine / turbo is warmed up just cruising around... No wonder I hear detonation when "cruising" uphills (no boost, hence no aquamist spraying!)...

Guys/girls with intercoolers, whats your intake temp??

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
This would proabably be a more useful comarison if you include the questions What's the ambient temp? and How much boost?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by oilfield_trash
This would proabably be a more useful comarison if you include the questions What's the ambient temp? and How much boost?
Hehehe... smarty pants... ambient temp about 25degC... you missed what I said... cruising around... so, off boost...

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Thats some data I've been meaning to collect now that I can know what they actually are. Its been too cold 0-8C for meaningfull #'s tho.

Your (55c)131F just cruising seems a little high for no boost and (25c)77F ambient. What are other ODBII cars seeing? They dont have to be turbo.

This is the first time I've given timing advice so I might have it wrong.The E-manage will pull timing in closed-loop and if your not advanced enough (too retarded
) then exhaust temps will be higher. Try reducing the IGN map by 1-2 degrees in the range of 1800-3100rpm and 1.45 to 3.05volts. If its still too hot try zero's in that range so it will use default OEM timing.

With my previous MAF pre-compressor I've seen 125F(51c) at the MAF at 10psi sustained WOT. It was pulling up to 6* of timing. Of course I couldnt hear knock. I did try cruising up a hill in 4th last summer and no paint-can rattle then either.

Intercoolers are your friend BUT I dont think one is the solution to this off-boost problem.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
I was just browsing my last logs from autumn...had a max 29C ON boost

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
On and Off boost -in city - WOT and sitting in traffic.

Warmest day in weeks - Ambient 54F (10C)
Coolant = 185F-200F(85C-93C)
Oil=180F(82C)
Post compressor intercooled Intake Temp =100-106F (37C-41C)

Intake temps are 2x ambient.

Dont know what it means but there it is.

The highest I've had pre-I/C from last summer was 125F (52C).

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
after 3 straight autox runs, intercooler completly heat soaked, mine shot up to 59c. it was high 50's low 60's that day. normally, it will stay about 30-35 if im in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Living in Tampa, I'm worried about intake temps too. I'm planning on installing either Jay's intercooler fans or a water sprayer/mister to wet the intercooler down. Lots of drag racers down here use ice to cool their intercoolers off during the summer, but that's obviously not practical for daily driver...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, today was only 24degC, and my intake temp after driving (no boosting at all, just highway cruising for about 25 minutes) was 61degC!!!

Well, its definately time to get that intercooler! Jay, if you see this, can you please respond to my email pleeeezzz!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Tiang
it was bound to happen...

I'm guessing higher boost is next on the list? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Damn it! There goes my "turbo" budget! :roll:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
With ambient 2F cooler and rain on the way the intake temps are 7-18F cooler than 2 days ago when it was dry out.

Ambient 52F
Coolant 185-192F
Oil 180F
Temperature at air filter on compressor inlet @ idle with heat shield - 105F
Idle, cruise and [email protected] - Intake Temp 84F(28C) -99F(37C)
At 90-100% load @WOT - Intake temps were 85-91F.

This is with the standard Hass stage II bar and plate Blackstone high density core unit that measures 6.25"x18"x3.5" (Not including end tanks). Its supposed to be able to do this:
"The intercooler core when tested at an air inlet temp of 250*F at 14.7 psi, with a cooling air temp of 75* lowered the discharge temperature to 124*F"

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Using this calculator
http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/intercooler_eff.php
and the HASS 15psi figures for their I/C

75F ambient / 250F compressor output/ 125F intake = 71% I/C efficiency.

Using my 7psi numbers and the 71% efficiency to back into my compressor output temperatures...
52F ambient and [email protected] Intake and 71% = 180F compressor output.

I dont know what exact effect boost level has on compressor outlet tempurature (other thatn to raise it) or whether the calculator actually works but I'LL BET its in the ballpark.
It better be - I paid fivefidy to use it. :roll:

Adding an 71% Efficient I/C
The difference would be instead of jamming 180F (82c) air into the engine it would be 100 (37C) and the exhaust temps would be ~80F lower because there is a direct relaitionship between intake temps and exhaust temps.

Looking at it another way, if one has 25C ambient and 55C intake then one could have compressor output temp of 130c :crazyeyes:

According to:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...bo_tech103.html
Intercooled intake temperatures are generally in the 100-130F range and non-intercooled are 175-300F

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, that sounds about right... damn Mark, told me that the Aquamist will be just like having an intercooler... yeah, its safe on boost, but off boost cruising, the engine pings!

Ok, intercooler it will have to be I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone with an OBD reader or with an appropriate guage, whats your intake air temperature??

Mine is around 55degC when engine / turbo is warmed up just cruising around... No wonder I hear detonation when "cruising" uphills (no boost, hence no aquamist spraying!)...

mine is always what ambient air is while driving.. even with A/C on high… but my “IAT” is 171 degrees as I sit here idling through the covid test line. Heat soaked as a mother!

·
Registered
2 Posts

mine is always what ambient air is while driving.. even with A/C on high… but my “IAT” is 171 degrees as I sit here idling through the covid test line. Heat soaked as a mother!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts