MR2 SpyderChat banner

Wheel hub removal

977 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Waunye11 
#1 ·
I’m trying to remove my real wheel hubs from the knuckle. I’ve tried using a slide hammer however it won’t budge & the slide hammer doesn’t allow the bolts to screw all the way down. Is there a brand that fits our hub other than the SST. Any suggestions for removal?
Light Automotive tire Crankset Plant Tire

See less See more
#3 ·
I have one however I couldn’t find a way to orient the knuckle to keep it upright. What did you use for support. I tried having the knuckle rest on its arms support by some metal pieces. Everything keeps falling. It’s an awkward setup. Did you have to cut off the dust gaurd? Also I don’t want any of the arms to snap if too much pressure is applied to one.

#5 ·
I am the shadiest of shade tree mechanics so take this with a grain of salt, but I was able to use the slide hammer while the knuckle still attached (axel moved out of the way) on the car to pull the hub. The inner bearing race stayed attached to the hub, so I then had to use a Dremel and notch out enough of the metal on the race to break it with a chisel and hammer.

Use a towel and wrap it around the slide to get more acceleration and protect your hands!
Slide hammer trick:

Removed inner bearing:

From there I used this tool to repress the bearing. So far so good!

Orion Motor Tech 23-Piece FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Adapters Press Kit Puller Set Replacement Installer Removal Automotive Mechanics Tool Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FLVOAZI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I had previously brought a new bearing and my knuckle to a shop who took my money and clearly either never replaced the bearing or did a much worse job than I was able to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.