MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has some diamond racing wheels that he is looking to get rid of, here are the specs:
4X100
0 ofset
16"

They are brand new never been driven on but my question is one, will a 215 50 16 tire fit on the wheel and two, will the combo of the 215 50 16 on the wheel fit for all four tires? I'm still kinda a noob at tire selection and the wheels look good, I just want to make sure they fit before I go and buy them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
0 offset is a no go_Our offset IIRC is 32?Cannot tell if a 215 will fit without width of wheel.
thanks for the info, all the wheel sizes that I had been looking at had an offset of 32" to 42". I was thinking that they wouldn't fit on the car because of that but since I didn't know for sure I thought I would ask on here.:mellow:

·
Registered
217 Posts
thanks for the info, all the wheel sizes that I had been looking at had an offset of 32" to 42". I was thinking that they wouldn't fit on the car because of that but since I didn't know for sure I thought I would ask on here.:mellow:
I think you mean 32mm to 42mm offset... 32 inches would be weird haha.

But yeah, 0 offset would stick out heaps unless of course you had a wide body kit, or some fender flares. If you are looking for flush fitment 7 inch front 8 inch rear with +25 offset front and back fits pretty well. Any lower offset than that and you'll start to need to add camber/roll guards etc.

I'd recommend staggered wheels also as if you run same width and offset front and back then the rears always look more inset than the fronts as the car is designed to run a stagered configuration. Same offset front and back with the rears being 1 inch wider than the front should result in it being about as even as you will get appearance wise.

·
Registered
627 Posts
A friend of mine has some diamond racing wheels that he is looking to get rid of, here are the specs:
4X100
0 ofset
16"

They are brand new never been driven on but my question is one, will a 215 50 16 tire fit on the wheel and two, will the combo of the 215 50 16 on the wheel fit for all four tires? I'm still kinda a noob at tire selection and the wheels look good, I just want to make sure they fit before I go and buy them.
They are 16" wheels by what ? 16x8 ? 16x7 ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think you mean 32mm to 42mm offset... 32 inches would be weird haha.

But yeah, 0 offset would stick out heaps unless of course you had a wide body kit, or some fender flares. If you are looking for flush fitment 7 inch front 8 inch rear with +25 offset front and back fits pretty well. Any lower offset than that and you'll start to need to add camber/roll guards etc.

I'd recommend staggered wheels also as if you run same width and offset front and back then the rears always look more inset than the fronts as the car is designed to run a stagered configuration. Same offset front and back with the rears being 1 inch wider than the front should result in it being about as even as you will get appearance wise.
Do you think i can pull this setup off?
Front: 16x8 et20/25 wrapped with 195/50/16
Rear: 16x9 et20/25 wrapped with 205/45/16
Fender liners will have to come off and fender will have to roll as much as it can. The suspension will not be coilover but Tein's spring and KYB struts only because it is not a track car. I know it will poke at least 2 inches out in the rear but i like the stance.:cool:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Fender liners will have to come off and fender will have to roll as much as it can. The suspension will not be coilover but Tein's spring and KYB struts only because it is not a track car. I know it will poke at least 2 inches out in the rear but i like the stance.:cool:
This will affect the feel of the car quite a bit,I went with 205/225's ,2mm offset diference and the car was a whole different animal .2"s wider on each wheel or as a whole will affect the feel without a doubt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This will affect the feel of the car quite a bit,I went with 205/225's ,2mm offset diference and the car was a whole different animal .2"s wider on each wheel or as a whole will affect the feel without a doubt.
I am sure any setup will affect the feel of the car. Sooner or later you will get use to it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you want any "performance" out of the car don't bother with the wheels but if you're gong for looks then with some work they'll fit, atleast in the rear

I'm assuming they're 8" so stretch on a 195/40, grab a set of coilovers and camber bolts, roll the living hell out of the fenders and go for it :D

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
I am sure any setup will affect the feel of the car. Sooner or later you will get use to it.
Use to it driving worse then it did before, possibly but not likely.
If I had that combination I would be uninspired to drive it.
Hell I would be even more embarrassed of being called a ricer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If your options are +20 or +25 then i'd suggest +25 front and rear. Yes it may not be a track car but if you want to go for fitment then you need coilovers so you can get the perfect height and camber combination so it all works. +25 7 inch wide with 185 front and 8 inch wide with 205 rear is a safe bet that has decent fitment. If you go your above specs with +25 front and rear it shouldnt be too bad really, probably stick out like half an inch so some more camber and rolled guards would make it fit but will require some playing to get it right without too much rubbing which again is why coilovers would be a good idea, also the stiffer springs that tend to come with coilovers will give you less issues with rubbing since the tyres wont be travelling up as high over the same bumps in comparison to the softer lowering springs.

Any reason you are going 195 at the front instead of 185? I havent looked too much into 16 inch tyre sizes... im assuming availability? The thing is that a 195 on an 8 inch will be less stretched than a 205 on a 9 inch. 185(7.3 inches) on 8 inch and 205(8 inches) on 9 inch will have a more matched amount of stretch since they are both closer to an inch smaller than the rim width as opposed to a 195 which will be about 7.7 inches wide and only 0.3 inches smaller than the 8 inch you intend on using at the front, therefore it will be barely stretched.

Use google to convert the tyre width in millimeters to inches is a good way of comparing how much it will be stretched.

A similar method can be used to show why the stock wheels are ultimately too narrow to give best performance from the tyres. If you want to stay stock tyre sizes of 185 and 205 wide then the fronts should be 7 inch wide while the rears should be 8 inch wide. This results in a marginally stretched look but in reality the contact patch is the closest to the width of the rim at these combinations. Converting tyre width to inches or rim width to millimeters is the easiest way to get a matching set performance wise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If your options are +20 or +25 then i'd suggest +25 front and rear. Yes it may not be a track car but if you want to go for fitment then you need coilovers so you can get the perfect height and camber combination so it all works. +25 7 inch wide with 185 front and 8 inch wide with 205 rear is a safe bet that has decent fitment. If you go your above specs with +25 front and rear it shouldnt be too bad really, probably stick out like half an inch so some more camber and rolled guards would make it fit but will require some playing to get it right without too much rubbing which again is why coilovers would be a good idea, also the stiffer springs that tend to come with coilovers will give you less issues with rubbing since the tyres wont be travelling up as high over the same bumps in comparison to the softer lowering springs.

Any reason you are going 195 at the front instead of 185? I havent looked too much into 16 inch tyre sizes... im assuming availability? The thing is that a 195 on an 8 inch will be less stretched than a 205 on a 9 inch. 185(7.3 inches) on 8 inch and 205(8 inches) on 9 inch will have a more matched amount of stretch since they are both closer to an inch smaller than the rim width as opposed to a 195 which will be about 7.7 inches wide and only 0.3 inches smaller than the 8 inch you intend on using at the front, therefore it will be barely stretched.

Use google to convert the tyre width in millimeters to inches is a good way of comparing how much it will be stretched.

A similar method can be used to show why the stock wheels are ultimately too narrow to give best performance from the tyres. If you want to stay stock tyre sizes of 185 and 205 wide then the fronts should be 7 inch wide while the rears should be 8 inch wide. This results in a marginally stretched look but in reality the contact patch is the closest to the width of the rim at these combinations. Converting tyre width to inches or rim width to millimeters is the easiest way to get a matching set performance wise.
Thanks for getting back to my question. This is very informative and will help me decide which setup is best for what i am looking for. You pretty much answered the unknown i was searching on the web.:lol:

Getting the coilover will be nice but i do not have the budget so i will have to think hard before making my decision.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you want any "performance" out of the car don't bother with the wheels but if you're gong for looks then with some work they'll fit, atleast in the rear

I'm assuming they're 8" so stretch on a 195/40, grab a set of coilovers and camber bolts, roll the living hell out of the fenders and go for it :D
:rockon:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts