MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've ever thought about making a custom bike rack or small hitch using the factory tow points, you know that Toyota chose a horrendously rare thread pitch, which makes finding off the shelf threaded rod for it nearly impossible.

I've found it! I can confirm that this does fit and the nuts linked below also work well!

M22x2.0 is what you want. I ended up getting 350mm length, which looks to be plenty for mounting a square tube for a small hitch. 300mm would also probably work for that. Best to measure for yourself if you're thinking about doing this.

Finding the nuts is a lot easier

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Nice find! I did a group buy a while ago making rods from 7/8 diameter steel. This is much easier! I did like the large diameter on the shank, to closely match the hole through the steel bumper. Mine bears on the steel bumper when I load up the carrier with heavy crap. So I ordered a pair of these just to play with. I’m thinking a piece of pipe with the right ID to slip over these would allow them to bear on the bumper pass-though hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m thinking a piece of pipe with the right ID to slip over these would allow them to bear on the bumper pass-though hole.
I'm thinking the same thing; I'll update if I find a pipe with the perfect fit!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts