MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my beloved spyder burns through almost all its oil in about 1000kms, has warranty with dealer so i take it to them to check it out, althoght toyota brought these cars into the country the dealer knowledge is less than most, so anyway i thought id give it a shot and take it in cos it wasnt going to cost me anything.

when i went to pick the car up they told me that they did a compression test and a vacuum test for the valve stems and everything is fine, they didnt give me any readings or anything. and they checked the engine for any oil leaks and found none.

so i asked wheres the oil going they told me im checking the oil wrong, i mean WTF i just filled 3 litres of oil the other day, im not retarded i can check oil, then they said maybe i filled it in the wrong place, (oh i dunno i thought my flux capacitor is where the oil goes), not the cap that says engine oil.

Anyway long story short my car got a good clean and wash with a nice engine wash, but they didnt really help, just sent me on my way. with a coke and a smile

So i have a question, if my compression and valve stems are fine ( is there even a test to do to check the valve stem seals?) where is the oil going? cos the car doesnt smoke that much.

I have been thinking about the PCV have any of you had any experience with this?

My pre cats where perfect when i removed them a few months back.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that thread was more on the fuel trims, my standard exhaust is back so i dont have a problem, i moved to a new city and i took the car to a new dealer, this is another experience, they said my oil was going away cos of my off fuel trims and after market exhuast ( dumb)

Anybody have any experience with a PCV valve?

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
I have seen this before.

If you didn't have a warranty then they would find something wrong with it.

What you need to do is stop making it your problem and go back to the dealership and ask them to perform a consumption test. What they will do is add some paint to the oil drain plug to assure that it's not tampered with then you ask them when the car should come back to be checked.
Make sure you have the documentation.

Drive it until the engine blows up or comes in and shows them that the oil level is extremely low.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I have seen this before.

What you need to do is stop making it your problem and go back to the dealership and ask them to perform a consumption test. What they will do is add some paint to the oil drain plug to assure that it's not tampered with then you ask them when the car shroud come back to be checked.

Drive it until the engine blows up or comes in and shows them that the oil level is extremely low.
This.
You are rightfully skeptical of the dealership, but you are not following through. Get your [email protected]#$ing readings. Do what Dev said. If they say you are ignorant, pop the [email protected]#$ing hood and show them where you put the oil. Pull the [email protected]#$ing dipstick and give a lecture on how to check the oil using that. In other words, make it more trouble for them to ignore you than to fix the problem. Be persistent, be assertive, and then be satisfied. In that order.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what we call a clue. It shouldn't smoke at all. I'd bet on pre-cat failure.
Pre cats where 100% when i gutted them, so probably not

I have seen this before.

What you need to do is stop making it your problem and go back to the dealership and ask them to perform a consumption test. What they will do is add some paint to the oil drain plug to assure that it's not tampered with then you ask them when the car should come back to be checked.

I agree, i have until november when the warranty expires, so im going to take in back to them next week

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
Pre cats where 100% when i gutted them, so probably not

I agree, i have until november when the warranty expires, so im going to take in back to them next week
That's what they are waiting for, either that or you will total your car.
Talk to the manger and let them know that there is no reason for you to spend money on oil when there is clearly something wrong with the car. If they say there is nothing wrong with the car then let them know that if the engine gets damaged then it is their responsibility.

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
Next time you go there, be rude and loud no one wants to make a angry client even angrier. Remember the client is always right.
Disregard this advice. Don't be an asshole. Be polite but be firm and to the point

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Go back and ask them to perform an oil consumption test. They change the oil and put markings everywhere you could remove or add oil. Then drive it for a set amount of time and have them check it. If it is burning more than 1 quart ever 1500 miles it is a warrantable offense. Toyota replaced 3 engines in my car for the same issue. The oil control rings have issue from the factory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts