MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am in process of assembling suspension components for my spyder. Thank you to everyone for advice on previous thread. I am going with BC Racing BR coilovers, with 5-7 Spring rate. Thinking about doing polyurethane bushings(not sure if Superpro is worth cash, vs Prothane), but question is, What brace? Oh and my car is 2003

Rear Strut Tower---- i hear stock is more than good enough.
Front Strut Tower----Due to build structure of the car and from reading up threads seems this is almost unnecessary mod, am I correct in this thinking
UnderBracing!!!!!--- this is what interests me, which one did you all go with? which provided most stiffness to the chassis? (i hate body roll). From what I understand 2003+ have decent bracing? then others claim that replacing made a world of difference?

What about Whiteline Sway bars? front and rear? anyone run them? are they worth it for about 300$? or 2003 swaybars do the job fine? (i just dont have anything to compare it to)
Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Running stiffer than stock suspension will probably increase chassis flex under loads, so some bracing may be useful.

Rear Strut Tower- Don't waste the money.
Front Strut Tower - Stiff steel ones like the TRD do have an effect, while some of the aluminum ones may be more for show than effect.
UnderBracing - The 2003 and newer have some additional bracing that is similar to the TRD front lower brace and the TRD rear braces for earlier models, so bracing in those areas probably isn't needed on a 2003. However, a really good brace is a mid brace like the original Corky's breastplate, which is long out of production. That is one brace that really stiffens the chassis as it boxes the center tunnel into a torque box. But you can get a copy from Snelbaard HERE

Going to stiffer aftermarket sway bars depends on the amount of roll stiffness you want. On our 2002 with Tein springs (not nearly as stiff as the BC), we run the stock front bar and no rear bar. Maybe not stiff enough for racing, but very nice on the street and backroads.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very interesting brace, wish it was quicker project. Anything similar available online?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
very interesting brace, wish it was quicker project. Anything similar available online?
Nothing similar unless you can find a used Corky's breastplate. Cusco has a lower midbrace, but it doesn't amount to much and probably doesn't do much.

I found TRD brace for 280$? Think of grabbing it, any opinions? 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder TRD Suspension - Member Brace PTR04-17001-02
Not needed on a 2003 and newer as the stock bracing is basically the same

·
Registered
953 Posts
Looks like the stock BP. You might want to also consider the mid-brace by Megillian if it is still available

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deffinitly bigger, but how much stronger is the question. At 130$, really tempted to try it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looks like the stock BP. You might want to also consider the mid-brace by Megillian if it is still available
Not to be argumentative Dave, but their customer service sucks...

Before you purchase from them, read the issues a few of us had with their business practices.

I would investigate all other options before purchasing from them, I ended up with Barbarian instead...

EDIT: Link to my experience... POS Seller

·
Registered
48 Posts
Excuse me for my shameless self-promotion but I also have some rear braces for sale here:

I find they really improve rear stability and predictability, you may like them as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excuse me for my shameless self-promotion but I also have some rear braces for sale here:

I find they really improve rear stability and predictability, you may like them as well.
OHH I wrote to you, was wonder when can they come and how they long to ship them?

I though whole thing was over, But thanks for adding me to the list. Can you pm me plz, how do we conduct transaction? I dont have paypal, but can ask one of my friends to do transfer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to be argumentative Dave, but their customer service sucks...

Before you purchase from them, read the issues a few of us had with their business practices.

I would investigate all other options before purchasing from them, I ended up with Barbarian instead...

EDIT: Link to my experience... POS Seller

Wow just wow, their customer services doesnt suck---- IT Doesnt Exist...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Definitely stay far away from Megillian Motorsports. Screwed me over big time, lied to me constantly, kept my money for way too long, and I never got it all back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am in line for one of Snelbaard's brestplates which appear almost identical to the original Corky model. That brace made a very big difference for a relatively small price point on my previous spyder. As far as pictures the quality seems very good so I can't wait to get my hands on one. With that said, he seems to have taken quite a bit of time to fabricate replicas of the more extensive bracing that is no longer available for the Spyder which seems very promising. Consider this a gentle plug to take a look at what he's offering, if supporting that fabrication allows him to continue to offer quality bracing then it's a win-win for everyone.

I would search for pics of all the original bracing made by Corky and compare it to what is available now if you aren't sure what a sturdy quality brace should look like...spoiler alert, that blue brace in the link above isn't gonna make the cut

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Oh I gave up on the blue Cusco brace... I am in line for Snelbaard's brace also. Now got headache about front tower brace. What does everyone think of this one vs trd (just can't justify spending close to 500$ for a tower brace). Any opinions? Carbing CA 611 021 0: $170.00 with Free Shipping at Andy's
We have Carbing rear lower brace and the quality is very nice (similar to TRD and not needed on 2003+). Their front strut bar should be a good option as it is one piece in steel like the TRD, but the TRD is no longer available

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wound up getting steel one by Carbing. Thanks everyone for diverting me from buying the adjustable onces ( they dont seem to work as good as solid pieces)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts