MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just curious, which color commands the highest price in the resell?
I love red, black, and white. I read an article that yellow is top dog in holding value with resells. With the Spyder being hard to find, does a yellow Spyder excite people more?
Personally I'm not a fan of yellow...but what color wheels look best on a yellow car?

·
Registered
2001 syder
238 Posts
Buy what you personally like, who cares about resell value if you are purchasing it to drive and enjoy. If you hate yellow don't buy and feel like a dork driving it only because you hope to keep up the value, because in reality every mile you put on it essentially takes that value down. I personally think they look great in all colors. I once owned a bright yellow fiat x19. I couldnt sell it because of the color. At the time everyone wanted black. Thanks Michael knight.. So God only knows what the next hot color might be.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Neutral colors will have the broadest appeal, that of course being black, white, and silver. As far as resale value is concerned, PGM Gray will probably be top dog because it was exclusive to ‘04-‘05 models and therefore is one of the rarest colours.

I don’t believe there is a large enough pool of Spyder’s being sold to make such a declarative statement. It could just be that a few recent BringATrailer Spyder’s happened to be yellow.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I personally love the yellow ones. You rarely see these cars in the wild but the red and yellow ones are the ones you'll remember. I get smiles and waves whenever I'm in my yellow Spyder, and everyone always says it looks great.

Silver is probably my least favorite color on these cars.

If you're looking to buy a car but not use it in case it drops resale value, then you're looking at the wrong car in a Spyder. They practically beg to be driven and used. You want a collectors item go find a Porsche to drive only on Sundays to retain value

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have tracked the sales, locations and mileages of the 2005 spyders for over three years. I have all production of the 780 and colors. I would make a general statement that may contridict some of my friends above. If you want the best chance of appreciation or at least break even which is rare with a car I would suggest a 2004-05. The production is lower and those two years a limited slip is offered. The reference to the grey spyders above is correct. A total of 75 cars in 2004-05, 23 in 2005 so a creampuff would be difficult to find in that color. There is one or two per year for sale but most of the 05s have high mileage or SMT. I would again disagree with my friends above about color. First, pick the color you like but if you want to get the most popular they are grey, the two blues, black. I did a survey on a large facebook group and those were the conclusions. Green is a love hate color but came with tan or black tops and seats. Paradise blue also came in black or tan in the later years. It is a very popular color, I used to love it but don't any more. Red and silver are high production and were popular so you will see many for sale. White can be hard to sell in the Spyder. Of the 05s yellow is the rarest color and if you owned a yellow 05 with stick and limited slip with low mileage you would have an extremely rare car. You can see some don't like yellow but if I could find the holy grail 05 yellow I would own it. I have two grey 2005s and perfer those colors for looks, both are holy grail spyders.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Yes, yellow is the best and fetches the highest price of all the colors.

All other opinions are fake news.
There is some truth to this. According to our resident car-tographer @leepear - the rarest of rare Spyders is a the '05 Yellow w/ LSD. And the demand for the newest Spyders are ATH.

EDIT: I posted this at the exact same time he chimed in!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I love both red and yellow, and I've always had a soft spot for white (thank Techno Pro Spirits of yesteryear). Silver is my least favorite, unless it's Phantom Grey (which I'd guess is highly sought after - can't beat a Steel Blue Mica/Dark Grey Mica color). Spectra Blue is really lovely, especially on '03+, IMO.

I really prefer brighter colors on Spyders in general, though if we're talking facelift (as I've said above), I feel like the darker shades work better with those vs pre-facelift. Maybe it's the foglights and style of bumper..

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
494 Posts
Yellow cars get smashed by trees.
Yellow attracts the attention of the flashing blue lights so if you drive it like you stole it you'll find your wallet much lighter. Even if you're obeying all traffic laws the bright color pulls their attention towards you. I personally like the Yellow but many don't so that may affect the value and ability to sell a car later.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Yellow attracts the attention of the flashing blue lights so if you drive it like you stole it you'll find your wallet much lighter. Even if you're obeying all traffic laws the bright color pulls their attention towards you. I personally like the Yellow but many don't so that may affect the value and ability to sell a car later.
Never did get any flack in our Release Series FR-S (probably because we're careful when we're being watched ;) ). But.. it did have the yellow curse. Death by fire. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,880 Posts
Trees.

Plant Car Vehicle Plant community Tire

1 - 20 of 69 Posts