MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2003 MR2 with the SMT. Front: 205/45/16, Rear 215/40/17. Sport Tuning T9-2 Black Mach Lip Wheels
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking about putting a spoiler on my mostly stock 2003 MR2. Can't decide which one to go with. Please help a brother out.

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
559 Posts
There is no discussing taste is there?!

If you want a fúnctional one then

Comes in ABS too.
I made the sideplates from abs foamboard and 3D printed supports, weighing just under 3 kg. in total.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
IMHO #1 is loud & out of place without other appearance mods (front/rear lip and/or diffuser & sideskirts). #2 is understated and looks better in a non-aggressive type build. Which one looks best comes down to what the rest of the car looks like for me. Also, expect #1 to affect your rear view.

Reactions: BGB-TOY

·
Registered
503 Posts
IMHO #1 is loud & out of place without other appearance mods (front/rear lip and/or diffuser & sideskirts). #2 is understated and looks better in a non-aggressive type build. Which one looks best comes down to what the rest of the car looks like for me. Also, expect #1 to affect your rear view.
100% agree. The "banana" spoiler can be replaced by a Subaru WRX flat spoiler. I've seen other MR-S with it and it really look good. For my taste, it look better than the "banana" one for a stock MR-S. I am 5.64 feet tall and this is the inside view of the TRD Style wing.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
180 Posts
As someone who put on the TRD wing... It matches the car with a hardtop very VERY well. Everyone who sees it comments on it. Yeah she's not functional as something that adds downforce, but depending on what you want out of your looks/style, either match the car very well. My wife's will be getting the OEM Toyota #2 you posted.
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Automotive tail & brake light
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
180 Posts
The trd wing is definitely functional. I set the angle of attack maxed down on the short track that my top speed is 96 mph... forgot to change it back and it became a massive air brake at 110-115mph

Well that's actually good to know, I've never seen anyone say that it actually produces noticable downforce. I'm mainly autocross, and I'm at full angle adjustment but only cause the other 2 holes didn't want to match up. Need to drill out the fiberglass a tiny bit to make the less aggressive angles work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
With the TRD rear wing, the rear become more confident and less floaty, especially on quick corners. I set mine at the most agressive angle like TeeMS. The effect start to be noticeable after ~50mph (depend of the car's setup). Mine got HardTop. It start to really slowing down the car after hitting 120 mph.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The ducktail is a functional spoiler btw. Not for downforce obviously; you need a (big) wing for thát, but it does provide a tear off ledge for the air and as such have a ´Kammback´ effect, which noticeably improves highway speed stability.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The ducktail is a functional spoiler btw. Not for downforce obviously; you need a (big) wing for thát, but it does provide a tear off ledge for the air and as such have a ´Kammback´ effect, which noticeably improves highway speed stability.
I can vouch for that as I did a 150 mile journey last week on the Motorway, doing between 80 - 100 mph!
This car is going to get me point on my DL!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
#2 or a ducktail would be my vote for an otherwise stock exterior car. I love #1 and have one but I think it needs the rest of the lip kit or a body kit to really look correct.
So many appearance mods depend on the rest of the car... not very often one thing is definitively better than another (except for Sivart... that was terrible with no redeeming qualities)

·
Registered
559 Posts
... not very often one thing is definitively better than another
Lighter OEM size rims are a definite too. As in functionally, measurably, objectively better. Esthetics/taste are subjective.

Wings/spoilers are a bit more tricky as the functional ones also have a down side so ´better´ depends on the goals, whereas the non functional ones are only esthetics thus subjective again so inherently neither better nor worse whatever one may think personally.

On my car I have done several mods which even I myself think not looking all thát cool, but which are measurably performing better within the framework of mý priorities.

Nice example is the emblem on the front bumper skirt; the Toyota chrome emblem. Several replace it by the rectangular MR2 shield. Ok, so the weight is negligeable but ´heavier´ it is. Pérsonally I like it better than the Toyota ´T´ but ... I stuck a chrome (with red accents) Hello Kitty on 🤩 just because 😅

And then the exhaust is thé best example of the issue. There is no way on earth that the factory compromise can be improved upon. Ány improvement is one area will have a greater effect on a downside. We can improve the flow but inevitably the noise will increase more. So, there we are with better measured against personal priorities, the goal.
The TTE double exit is a taste thing which is fúnctionally WORSE. The double exit looks nicer in some eyes; in some ears it sounds better (a bit louder) too but it flows measurably léss.

Bottom line is that looks can never be objectively better or worse. It is always in the eye of the beholder.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts