MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I dropped off four loose wheels and tires for mounting/balancing. (I don't trust my local shops to touch my cars.) I didn't caution the shop to make sure they mount the skinny tires on the skinny wheels. If they screwed it up, will it be plainly obvious to me when I pick up the wheels?

·
Registered
770 Posts
No, I don't think so.
If you are running staggered setup on OEM wheels, the wider tires should be on the wider wheels. If you look inside the wheel they are stamped either 6 or 6.5".
The two wider tires would obviously belong to the two 6.5" wheels. I assume you are running staggered because you call them the skinny tires and skinny wheels.
I assume you know which tires are the wider ones by the size stamped on the outside.

·
Registered
770 Posts
rear wheels have an inside pin (i think maybe the front wheels do- one set does) that disguises front and rear wheels use that to define what is what and then look at the tire sizes
I don't think I would use the pin method to identify which is which because some people shave off the pins. I bought a set of OEM wheels and none of them had the pins even though 2 were stamped 6" on the inside and two were stamped 6.5".

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick tips! I had exactly 5 minutes to check everything before they closed. All is well. Skinny wheels are marked 15x6, fat wheels are marked 15x6 1/2. They even got the rotations correct! I'll see if they got balanced smoothly on the morning commute. They only lost one of my pins from the rear wheels. I call it a win.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks for the quick tips! I had exactly 5 minutes to check everything before they closed. All is well. Skinny wheels are marked 15x6, fat wheels are marked 15x6 1/2. They even got the rotations correct! I'll see if they got balanced smoothly on the morning commute. They only lost one of my pins from the rear wheels. I call it a win.
Not quite understanding,did they have them correct all the time or did they remove & remount them correctly.If the former then they didn't do the rotation in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts