MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird noise coming from my rear end. It's an 01 spyder with 37,000 miles on it. It happens from 35-40 mph I'm pretty sure in any gear. It sounds like whistling. When I alternate letting my foot on and off the gas it cuts out then becomes audible again. Anybody have an idea what this could be? I dont really see how it could be the transaxle with only 37000 miles on the car. Possible axle bearing? What does an axle bearing sound like? Another thing that is weird is that it pretty much goes away with speeds above 40 mph. I can only hear it with the top up and radio off and AC off. It bothers me and I feel like something is wrong. Does anybody else have this noise ?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
I get a whistling in my rear end after I eat at Taco Bell.

Aside from that what you describe sounds like a vacuum leak. When you take your foot off the gas the vacuum increases. Did you do or have done any work in the engine compartment recently like replace the air filter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I have noticed that lot of people on this forum are smar asses but I find it amusing :p

Umm I just recently cleaned the air filter but I re assembled everything the way it should be. It can only be heard with the radio and everything else off. Has
To be quiet inside. Idk if I'm getting air coming through the cabin somewhere or not. It really only happens between 35 and 40 mph , if I go any faster it pretty much goes away. If it was a bearing wouldnt it get louder through vehicle speed . If I start at like 30 mph and hit the gas it will start faint and then increase with speed and then fade away after going over 40 mph. I'm thinking that at that speed air is getting in somewhere and making that high pitched noise or whistle. My top isn't leaking at all so idk how air can get in without water

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
make sure you haven't lost any of the body clips from the diaper under the car, if it pulled down it might whistle like that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's directly related to me stepping on and of the gas, I can alternate back and forth and hear it whine when I step on it and then cut out when I let off, so it's something in the drivetrain .

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
exhaust leak then I would presume, or a bearing starting to go out in an accessory or belt tensioner pully. If it only happens while moving and not when you rev the engine I would have someone else drive the car to where you're free to turn around and get more of an idea of the general area of the noise. I had a weird whistle like a turbo was installed and it ended up being a half cocked adapter ring on my air filter (after market intake), it could be just about anything with out knowing what area the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
This happens at a certain rpm? Doesn't matter which gear? Recheck airbox fitting if noise came just after. Whistle or whine?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It actually does sound like a mini turbo spooling up. It's pretty high pitched . It does it in just about every gear although it's more noticeable in 5th gear going from 30 to 40 mph. I'm guessing because the rpms are lower and the engine is quieter so you can hear it more. I really hope it's not the shaft bearing on the tranny. I had a bearing go bad on an old firebird I had and that thing howled like crazy when I let of the gas, this does it when I accelerate but nowhere near the kind of noise it made in my firebird. Its like a high pitche whistle, it has something to do directly related to throttle because when I blip the throttle on and off it alternates between being able to hear it and not being able to.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
Umm I just recently cleaned the air filter but I re assembled everything the way it should be.
If it started soon after you did the air filter then that is the first place I would check. Make sure the filter is seated right, nothing in the box or tubes that might be vibrating as the air flows. Check the filter top half to make sure it is sealed properly. Check the air intake clamps and tubes. Check for open vacuum lines that might have come loose during the re-install.

After you eliminate that as a possibility then you can start worrying that it is more serious.

·
Registered
770 Posts
What is the condition of your alternator belt? Has it been changed ever?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it's been at the dealership for the past couple days and the can't seem to find anything wrong with it, I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they even bothered to drop the transmission and look at the bearings or anything ...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well it's been at the dealership for the past couple days and the can't seem to find anything wrong with it, I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they even bothered to drop the transmission and look at the bearings or anything ...

I am almost certain they didn't drop the transmission, unless you want a $1k+ diagnostic done for just a possibility of the bearings starting to go (which you can usually tell by lifting and spinning the wheels anyway). Are you sure it's on the left side of the vehicle? The tensioner on the other side has been a common cause of odd noise for quite a few people.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if they looked at the tranny at all. They arent charging me anything to look at it because I just bought the car from them about a week ago. So if they would have found something then they should fix it for free. I'm pretty sure it's from the rear end, it cuts in and out when you press and release the gas pedal, so it's dependent upon wether or not power is going to the wheels. Idk I'm not convinced. But there is no way that I'm going to know which bearing it is. It's the most noticible in 5th gear between 30 and 40 mph, it's not as noticeable outside that

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
After you remove your wallet and checkbook from your pocket, bend over and grab your ankles!

·
Registered
977 Posts
does your car have a CAI? the IACV usually makes a hissing sound as you get higher into the rev range when you have an intake.

Cap theorised a while ago that the ecu opens up the IACV when you giving it some foot so the engine doesnt stall incase you abruptly close the throttle, it can be heard clearly with a CAI.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.