MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have white smoke coming from my exhuast. It is pretty bad. Seems to turn darker color when I give it gas. I own a 2001 120K miles, does not use coolant or oil. Compression test was great. Runs great, idles great, revs great, starts great, no engine codes. Replaced fuel injectors, fuel filter, fuel suction filter, ignition coils, valve cover gasket. I have been chasing this problem for a while and have yet to figure it out. Does not overheat. Aftermarket header, AEM intake, downpipe with flowmaster universal high flow cat welded in. All o2 sensors in place. Just changed oil and oil seems thinner but is not milky in color. Cleaned MAF, inspected and checked engine coolant temp sensor and all was well. Smoke kinda smells like gas. Oil kinda smells like gas.

Any thoughts or other things that I can check would be appreciated.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Check fuel trims and MAF sensor voltages? I have had a MAF sensor "fail in range" so I had no CEL but car ran pig rich with it in.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaned Maf already plus checked voltage. Everything checked out. Also traded MAFs with my smooth running 00, and it still smoked after idling for several minutes.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Any tailpipe smoke is typically a bad sign and you really need to identify the color correctly.

Possible causes based on color; blown head gasket burning antifreeze (white smoke), bad rings or valve seals (blueish smoke), stuck open injector or badly leaking o-ring (gray smoke).

Good luck.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have white smoke coming from my exhuast. It is pretty bad. Seems to turn darker color when I give it gas. I own a 2001 120K miles, does not use coolant or oil. Compression test was great. Runs great, idles great, revs great, starts great, no engine codes. Replaced fuel injectors, fuel filter, fuel suction filter, ignition coils, valve cover gasket. I have been chasing this problem for a while and have yet to figure it out. Does not overheat. Aftermarket header, AEM intake, downpipe with flowmaster universal high flow cat welded in. All o2 sensors in place. Just changed oil and oil seems thinner but is not milky in color. Cleaned MAF, inspected and checked engine coolant temp sensor and all was well. Smoke kinda smells like gas. Oil kinda smells like gas.

Any thoughts or other things that I can check would be appreciated.
White smoke from a gasoline engine is a sure sign of antifreeze getting in the combustion chamber. This is usually from a leaking head gasket (at the fire-ring), or could even be a cracked head or block. Pull the spark plugs; if one or 2 are much cleaner than the rest, those are from the leaking cylinder(s). The plugs might even smell like antifreeze. There is the possibility that the coolant loop in the throttle-body is leaking into the intake, but I have never heard of that happening.

If the head gasket leak gets bad enough you can hydraulically lock-up the engine and break a con-rod.

Dave

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave. That is what I was kinda thinking. I think I am going to try some K&W fiber sealer to see if I can take care of that problem. In the meantime, I took out the spark plugs and they all have some kind of brown sludge stuff that is somewhat thin on the tips of all of them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys know which radiator hose I am supposed to pour this sealing stuff into? It needs to go in the upper, but I have two lower hoses, one on each side. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks Dave. That is what I was kinda thinking. I think I am going to try some K&W fiber sealer to see if I can take care of that problem. In the meantime, I took out the spark plugs and they all have some kind of brown sludge stuff that is somewhat thin on the tips of all of them.
[/QUOt
I think the chance that radiator sealer will help is pretty small. Radiator sealer does not get poured into a hose.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am talking about K&W head gasket and engine block sealer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the mid-engined Mr2 nightmare problem. Rule of thumb w older, experienced Mr2 owners is to not to do those coolant system additives for the sake of a possible new owner. As for the cyl head additives? Really? Who wants to put all that goop in those tiny cyl head passages?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was blowing same it ended up being my pcv valve and it much better. I am getting synthetic oil change and oil additive by lucas and a radiatorn flush to finish it up should help good luck

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Does the smoke smell sweet?

i would exhaust everything else before I pour any additives in it.
As for the level not going down, a blown Head gasket usually leads to the system getting filled with air and pushing the coolant into the reservoir to make it look like it is full.

The best test you can do is get a coolant system pressure tester and pump it up to see if it holds or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those head gasket additives are controversial. Some people swear by them. Others say its a band aid that could do more harm. As mentioned I would use it as a last resort.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I was blowing same it ended up being my pcv valve and it much better. I am getting synthetic oil change and oil additive by lucas and a radiatorn flush to finish it up should help good luck
Recommend skipping the oil additive. It just screws up the chemistry of your new synthetic oil

Dave

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, I will not use any additive. I used a block tester with the blue fluid and the fluid did not turn yellow. I think my oil control rings are toast. :(

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks guys, I will not use any additive. I used a block tester with the blue fluid and the fluid did not turn yellow. I think my oil control rings are toast. :(
oil control rings can not explain white smoke. have you looked at your spark plugs yet?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes, all spark plugs had gunk substance on the ends. I bought these new and they have not been in the spyder very long

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then why is it white smoke that comes out of the tailpipe?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts